Another Arise fanboy here. BtR then... A-Lex. I reach for the Greene stuff way more these days as it is. Kisser is the heart and soul of Sepultura, Max is a washed up has-been and has always rode the coat-tails of those more talented than himself.

I still have a very soft spot for Roots too, "nu" bits be damned, it was heavy-as-shit, particularly for an album that spawned a single that was featured in whatever the Irish top 30 show that went out around 8pm on a Tuesday was called.

The only Greene albums I've  heard are A-lex and Dante XXI. They are fine to have on in the background but nothing to get excited about.
I'm sticking with Arise, BTR, Chaos AD then Schizophrenia.

In much the same way I don't hate Chaos AD, I don't have any huge issues with Roots either as I certainly liked it at the time but it's not an album I'd have any inclination to return to. I completely get why fans of a certain generation would hate Roots though, as it's a fairly shameless pandering to nu-metal but it strikes me as the next inevitable 'progression' from Chaos AD. You can see how it moved onto the absolute shambles that was Soulfly which even for me at the time was a step too far. I couldn't get into the likes of Morbid Visions back then as it was just too raw for my tastes, but the older I get, the more I learn for the more 'regressive' styles.

Arise was the first album I heard, a mate made me a tape of it so it's always been my favourite. Beneath The Remains is brilliant too. I never really listened to the earlier stuff at the time but I Like Schizo now. I bought Chaos when it came out, loved it then and still do. Never got into Roots, it's too long, but have listened to it recently in blocks of 4 songs and there's some great stuff on it, Igor in partictular is brilliant on Roots. The live album Under a Pale Grey Sky is well worth checking out, the last show with the original lineup. I checked out after Roots and never bothered listening to Soulfly or Green era stuff until Quadra which is very good. Cavalera Conspiracy stuff I like too. I'm going to see them in November, I was holding out for an original lineup reunion but this will do until it inevitably happens!

Chaos AD was my introduction along with many others here. I couldn't sit through it now. Roots followed and I knew it was shite at the time as a 13 or 14 year old or whatever. God knows what I'd make of it now. Never heard the stuff with the new singer. Once Soulfly popped up I was finished with anything Seps related. Later on I got back into BTR, Arise etc. Oh yeah, now when I think about it I had this 2cd version of Roots with demos, covers, live tracks on cd 2. That was easily my favourite gear of theirs in the 90s and somewhat predicted my return to listening to 80s Seps in more recent times. Naturally enough these days the Morbid Visions era is easily my favourite! If you think that is unlistenable I would doubt your metal credentials entirely!

Quote from: Rust Puppets on October 24, 2024, 09:19:43 AMArise was the first album I heard, a mate made me a tape of it so it's always been my favourite. Beneath The Remains is brilliant too. I never really listened to the earlier stuff at the time but I Like Schizo now. I bought Chaos when it came out, loved it then and still do. Never got into Roots, it's too long, but have listened to it recently in blocks of 4 songs and there's some great stuff on it, Igor in partictular is brilliant on Roots. The live album Under a Pale Grey Sky is well worth checking out, the last show with the original lineup. I checked out after Roots and never bothered listening to Soulfly or Green era stuff until Quadra which is very good. Cavalera Conspiracy stuff I like too. I'm going to see them in November, I was holding out for an original lineup reunion but this will do until it inevitably happens!
That live album is excellent! I forgot to mention it. I had that on heavy rotation when I got it as a young lad.

Pretty sure I had Under a Pale Grey Sky on DVD, in one of those early "ultra jewel" cases that were the size of a typical DVD box, but made of the same brittle plastic as a CD case.

I did find my Dead Can Dance "Toward The Within" DVD recently in the same sort of box, and it's immaculate, so what do I know :laugh:

Schizophrenia
Arise
BTR
... in that order