Quote from: ochoill on October 10, 2024, 12:14:02 PMPickles are terrible on their own but lethal as a topping on rakes of stuff.  Chips, burgers, pizza, kebabs, all good

Pickles are the business. I'd happily have a pickle as a snack or a side.

Recent pickle forays:

Ham, emmental, mayonnaise, mustard and pickles (cornichons actually) in a baguette.

Pickles with foie gras and crackers with a glass of red wine is unreal- see also pickles with Brussels paté.

Also lethal in a bahn mi - slices of pork belly/roast pork, sweet chilli sauce/jam, mayonaise, chopped coriander leaf, raw carrot, a chopped chilli pepper and sliced pickles on a crusty French loaf. You can smear a bit of paté on that too for the true, gout-inducing recipe.

Ah jaysus yeah they all sound unreal.  In particular the pork belly.  On the ham & emmental roll the pickles and mustard combo is a requirement yup, significantly better if it is chunks of proper roast ham and not the thin deli sliced style.  Well... For me anyway.

Quote from: ochoill on October 10, 2024, 03:16:37 PMAh jaysus yeah they all sound unreal.  In particular the pork belly.  On the ham & emmental roll the pickles and mustard combo is a requirement yup, significantly better if it is chunks of proper roast ham and not the thin deli sliced style.  Well... For me anyway.

I would throw slaps at anyone who offered me plastic ham these days.

Go to the butcher/supermarket, get a cheapish cut of ham, put a glass of orange (or apple or pineapple) juice into your slow cooker* put in the ham, low and slow for 6 - 8 hours. Send me thank-you notes on the back of tenners.

*Buy a slow cooker.

Pickles are amazing. I'd shhnack away at them as well.

Cooked a roast ham, honey mustard glazed, at the wknd for the sole reason of having ham, pickle, cheese bagels all week. Threw a bit of saurkraut I forgot I had in the fridge on to to it too for a bit of extra tang.

Sounds delicous, says he eating a cheese and pickle sandwich
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: nukeabuse on October 10, 2024, 10:56:48 PMCooked a roast ham, honey mustard glazed, at the wknd for the sole reason of having ham, pickle, cheese bagels all week. Threw a bit of saurkraut I forgot I had in the fridge on to to it too for a bit of extra tang.

Is there anything nicer than the charred ends of a roasted honey glazed ham? I doubt it...

Has anyone made a decent pizza base? I've tried with and without yeast and haven't been blown away by either. I was using the Aldi pre rolled ones which are fine but a bit doughy. Picked up a double pack in Dunnes for only 3 quid and it was perfect. I prefer homemade and while I'm at it I'd like to do it 100% from scratch.

As an aside, diced hotdogs make for a super topping.

Yes to the diced hotdogs, no to the having a clue about pizza base

Can make kebab bread with just yoghurt and flour though, which is fantastic

Update on the ham, still had a little left this morning and used it to make jambons. Surprisingly quick and easy. Banging too

Quote from: Emphyrio on October 11, 2024, 05:20:21 PMHas anyone made a decent pizza base? I've tried with and without yeast and haven't been blown away by either. I was using the Aldi pre rolled ones which are fine but a bit doughy. Picked up a double pack in Dunnes for only 3 quid and it was perfect. I prefer homemade and while I'm at it I'd like to do it 100% from scratch.

As an aside, diced hotdogs make for a super topping.

Have you any experience making bread ?

Darina Allen's wholemeal bread I used to do regularly. Haven't done her soda bread but looks very easy.

Quote from: astfgyl on October 11, 2024, 06:36:43 PMCan make kebab bread with just yoghurt and flour though, which is fantastic

Interesting...

Never tried that. Used to make a passable gluten-free bread with oats and yoghurt though. Also, laziest cake in the world: flour and ice cream.