Been on a Buckethead spree for a while and wouldn't mind messing about with a decent whammy pedal. Any recommendations?

Digitech Whammy 5 is top of the pile, if you're not concerned about its size.

I got a whammy 4 recently and I love it. Dunno about the earlier ones but a 4 or 5 should be easily picked up on adverts for about 100 bones

Quote from: Emphyrio on September 06, 2019, 07:14:22 PM
Digitech Whammy 5 is top of the pile, if you're not concerned about its size.

I can pick up a whammy 4 handy enough, any partical reason that the whammy 5 tops your list?

It takes DC power so you can use it with a regular power supply so it doesn't need its own power adaptor. It's polyphonic and I'm not sure the 4 is. I had one and only sold it cos it took up too much real estate but I should have kept it for recording purposes. I got a TC Electronic Brainwaves recently and this has all the same functions in  a smaller footprint.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/tc_electronic_brainwaves_pitch_shifter.htm

The MASH footswitch isn't as precise as the pedal on the Whammy, obviously, but it does 3 voices whereas the Whammy only does two, if you're also looking at the harmony side of things.

I've had both the 4 and the 5. The 5 is  miles better than the 4 in every single regard.

It takes regular 9vDc power instead of the 9vAC power the older models take. The older power supplies SUCK. I've thrown out 3 of them over the years as they are cheap wallwart designs that the cabling always breaks at the point where it meets the large plug. I have another Digitech pedal that uses them and I literally had it die on me mid tour only a few weeks ago.

It has less tone suck, I read they used better buffers or something like that. It tracks extremely well and does polyphonic shifting. The Whammy 4 and previous models definitely do not. If you like the  glitchy effect as a result of the poorer tracking there is a switch to "classic" mode on the whammy 5 too.

They're currently about 140 on thomann which is a great price too.

I was gonna buy a whammy 4 second hand for about €80, but went for a whammy 5 for about €110. After reading your post, I'm very glad I made that choice  8)

Been using the EHX Pitch Fork with an expression pedal hooked up.  Great craic.

Lads a quick question from somebody who doesn't understand a lot about electricity:
The whammy 5 came in the post today, and the guy threw in a power adapter too. The pedal is 9v DC 1300mA, but the power suppy is a Boss AC adapter 9v 200mA. Is this power supply ok to use with the pedal? Will it affect the tone or anything?

I had mine in a 500mA input of a power supply and it was fine. Not sure if 200mA is enough though.

Once it powers on you should be fine. Can't damage a pedal by underpowering it (current/mA) either BTW it just won't work.

Power supply working fine. Thanks again lads!

The manual says power consumption is 265mA so I'd be wary of using less current, especially with digital stuff.

Quote from: moose on September 18, 2019, 12:51:39 PM
The manual says power consumption is 265mA so I'd be wary of using less current, especially with digital stuff.

What kind of damage could using less current do? I bought it second hand and one of the leds don't light up, but I had already known about this. Could this be from the power supply he gave me?