Quote from: Makeshiftatomsmasher on December 06, 2020, 03:42:14 AM
early xmas presents. Got a Harley Benton Amarok baritone and Grindstein pedal on the way.

I liked the look of those Amarok models, esp the Baritone  (but honestly, do i need another guitar...? yes, yes of course i do... :P ) ... but for their price point they seem pretty solid... Grindstein looks interesting too but seemed pretty expensive for what it was I thought....

Had a Black Arts Toneworks Raw Heart arrive yesterday. Working all week though, so will be the weekend before I get to take it for a spin !

Has anyone played around with the two notes captor x? Considering picking up one to play the tube amps at home and use it to record them for demos etc... Seems like a serious piece of kit!

#228 March 12, 2021, 11:15:30 PM Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 11:25:56 PM by Makeshiftatomsmasher
Serious gas for unnecessary  gear. Since Christmas  gotten Grindstein, Amt K2 (Preamp of a Krank Krankenstein) Mosky  TW (clone of a Wampler Triple wreck) Vht V drive, and on the way, Hughes & Kettner  Spirit of metal, and Dr. J Blademaster pedal.

Quote from: ldj on December 02, 2020, 03:29:30 PM
Hi lads, I was just wondering do any of you have an experience with the Hiwatt T20 head?

https://www.someneckguitars.com/products/hiwatt-t20-10-head

I'm thinking of maybe getting one, I'm looking for a good clean amp to use as a pedal platform, I have an Orange Rocker 32 right now which is decent but the clean channel is just a volume control with no eq and doesn't seem to like overdrives that much, it's just very shrill sounding. I've been trying to use the drive channel as a 'clean' with the gain only on 3/4 with the volume pushed which is ok but the Green Russian fuzz I'm using just seems to turn to mush on this channel no matter what setting.

If I get the Hiwatt I'm thinking I can just get my gain stages solely from the few pedals I have and then I also have a nice clean channel to work with too.

Did you pick that up after? Had a s/s Hiwatt  years ago. It was clean and when pushed could kinda do mild break up/rock tone. (Barely) It would be perfect  for a pedal platform.

Quote from: Makeshiftatomsmasher on March 12, 2021, 11:21:01 PM
Quote from: ldj on December 02, 2020, 03:29:30 PM
Hi lads, I was just wondering do any of you have an experience with the Hiwatt T20 head?

https://www.someneckguitars.com/products/hiwatt-t20-10-head

I'm thinking of maybe getting one, I'm looking for a good clean amp to use as a pedal platform, I have an Orange Rocker 32 right now which is decent but the clean channel is just a volume control with no eq and doesn't seem to like overdrives that much, it's just very shrill sounding. I've been trying to use the drive channel as a 'clean' with the gain only on 3/4 with the volume pushed which is ok but the Green Russian fuzz I'm using just seems to turn to mush on this channel no matter what setting.

If I get the Hiwatt I'm thinking I can just get my gain stages solely from the few pedals I have and then I also have a nice clean channel to work with too.

Did you pick that up after? Had a s/s Hiwatt  years ago. It was clean and when pushed could kinda do mild break up/rock tone. (Barely) It would be perfect  for a pedal platform.
Nah not yet, just looked up there didn't even realise Some Neck had opened back up yet so I'll try get one soon. Yeah I've seen videos and played one in the shop a while ago and they seem like they'd be great for a pedal platform. The gain on the Orange amp I have is nice but it's a bit one dimensional.

Any guitar nerds on here that give me a bit of advice? I have a guitar that has a bit of rust on the pickups and was wondering what would be the most effective way to clean it? I read that a dab of WD40 on a cotton swap would do the trick. I just don't want to make a mess of the pickups and have to remove them. Sound

Quote from: Drought on March 11, 2021, 05:07:44 PM
Has anyone played around with the two notes captor x? Considering picking up one to play the tube amps at home and use it to record them for demos etc... Seems like a serious piece of kit!

I dont have the latest Captor X, but I have the Torpedo Captor 8 (basically the same thing with a few less features) and its excellent, top class piece of gear. I use it mainly for getting nice DIs to record from my amps and I usually have a speaker cab plugged into the THRU on it ass noise is not an issue for me.  But i have used it silent (using it as a true reactive loadbox) and its perfect for that.  Great bit of gear.

Im selling a (basically brand new) Peavey 6506mh if anyone's interested - see https://www.adverts.ie/guitar-amps/peavey-6505mh/24730182

I've got a Hartke Ha-3500 bass head that needs fixing. Anyone could recommend a place in Cork?

Quote from: koper on October 02, 2021, 05:47:16 PM
I've got a Hartke Ha-3500 bass head that needs fixing. Anyone could recommend a place in Cork?

If you're willing to ship it - I think Moose in Dublin does amp head repairs/mods.

I can't think of anyone down here in Cork - a buddy of mine sent a Marshall to a guy in Kerry a few years back and said he was delighted with the work. Again though - that involves shipping it.

Quote from: Necro Red on April 02, 2021, 11:21:53 AM
Any guitar nerds on here that give me a bit of advice? I have a guitar that has a bit of rust on the pickups and was wondering what would be the most effective way to clean it? I read that a dab of WD40 on a cotton swap would do the trick. I just don't want to make a mess of the pickups and have to remove them. Sound

Use distilled vinegar for rust, be be sure to rinse and dry it properly afterwards. Some use baking soda and water afterwards just to make sure vinegar is neutralised. Be aware if it's a plated part that the rust will be gone, but you'll probably still see through the plating and it'll still look rough

Cheers bud. It is just a minimal amount of rust on a humbecker is all. I may give it a go and clean up the guitar and c hange strings. Sound

another guitar nerd question:

Getting back to playing again and essentially this is gonna potentially involved 2 or 3 different projects using 2 or 3 spaces. So instead of buying 3 different heads and running myself into debt. I was gonna buy one of these pedal sized power amp jobs.
https://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_gpa_100.htm?glp=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzLCVBhD3ARIsAPKYTcSqrEK78ootiM72aKg1hWNbUQAgwfnmXASDS-kiHHv53CrTdM-25AoaAiP4EALw_wcB

Anyone got any experience?I presume picking up a pre-amp pedal to run into it is the way to go, or could I just run my usual distortion and delay straight into this lad?

I've gone down that route myself mounting pedalboard-friendly amps. On a small/practice board I'm using the Mooer Baby Bomb. Distortion comes from EQD Hizumitas and Hoof. Neither of which are "preamp pedals" but the results are the finest. On the bigger board I'm using the Seymour Duncan Powerstage, main distortion is an Amptweaker Tight Metal, which I believe is a preamp pedal. There's a coupla other drive pedals on there too and they work perfectly, so I don't think you need a true preamp pedal.

For practice the Mooer is absolutely grand and I reckon your yoke above would be very comparable, likely even better cos of the EQ. I'd use it at a gig if push came to shove too. With my main board it means I absolutely do not need to bring a head with me anymore.  The Powerstage is defo more amp-like. 

Anyway, I digress. That yoke above should easily do you for practice.