Over the last few months Ive sold & bought a bunch of stuff for the studio, got a few great deals too.

-Peavey 6534+ head from a local shop, never sold (brand new but made in 2015) - shop demo only for 550e. Happy days.  Killer sounding amp.

-Austrian Audio OC818 mic. Stunning piece of kit. Must save my pennies and get another one to have a pair to use on the kit.

- EVH 50w 5150 iii (EL34, the gold one). Maybe the nicest amp Ive ever owned?

- A couple of 14x8" steel snares (supralite and tama sound lab) - both cheap bout amazing sounding. The 14x8 tama wood snares for 150eur are incredible sounding too for anyone looking for a deep & cheap wooden snare!

- Iconic 4x12 cabinet - sounds cracking!

- Hesu 2x12 cabinet with demon speakers. Very nice speaker voicing & pretty different.

Astfgyl recently broke his bass at a jam, by hitting it until the jack snapped (it was for a riff) and I took it home fo fix it.

He was playing a right handed guitar strung up leftie, with all the electrics hidden out of the way of his hands under the scratch plate.  Rather than just replace the jack, I tore the whole thing apart, right down to nuts and bolts, and went to town on it.

I scrubbed all the hardware in the sink then left it sit in WD40 for about four days while I drilled out a new hole in the back for the electrics.  I cut up a few cans of extra stout and used the metal to make a cover for the old routed hole, then gorilla taped the hard edges of the whole bass.  Copper taped the entire thing inside, and made a double layered can panel to mount the jack and new electrics on the front.

He wanted as little options as possible so all it has is a killswitch on it.  I replaced the old pickups since they were actually falling apart inside with the cheapest pair I could get shipped next day online (14 quid?)

The setup on it was horrendous before so I redid it all, filed out the nut, adjusted it, and got it a bit less terrible on the hands.

Enjoy this absolute horror.  I think he found it in a shed before so I don't feel too bad making shit of it.  Plays grand though, setup in AEAD.

The Guinness cans look great but I'm slightly disappointed it wasn't Karpackie cans all the same

Quote from: Yung Led Zeppelin on March 03, 2023, 12:11:42 PMThe Guinness cans look great but I'm slightly disappointed it wasn't Karpackie cans all the same
Lol cheers, would you believe I went looking for the black Karpackie that morning in Dunnes and they didn't have it.  Since it was for Astfgyl I was looking for something fairly jakey but the Guinness looks nice on the body.

Creative use of a few cans  :laugh: the black matches well

What gauge strings did ya go with?

Quote from: ochoill on March 01, 2023, 04:32:18 PMAstfgyl recently broke his bass at a jam, by hitting it until the jack snapped (it was for a riff) and I took it home fo fix it.

He was playing a right handed guitar strung up leftie, with all the electrics hidden out of the way of his hands under the scratch plate.  Rather than just replace the jack, I tore the whole thing apart, right down to nuts and bolts, and went to town on it.

I scrubbed all the hardware in the sink then left it sit in WD40 for about four days while I drilled out a new hole in the back for the electrics.  I cut up a few cans of extra stout and used the metal to make a cover for the old routed hole, then gorilla taped the hard edges of the whole bass.  Copper taped the entire thing inside, and made a double layered can panel to mount the jack and new electrics on the front.

He wanted as little options as possible so all it has is a killswitch on it.  I replaced the old pickups since they were actually falling apart inside with the cheapest pair I could get shipped next day online (14 quid?)

The setup on it was horrendous before so I redid it all, filed out the nut, adjusted it, and got it a bit less terrible on the hands.

Enjoy this absolute horror.  I think he found it in a shed before so I don't feel too bad making shit of it.  Plays grand though, setup in AEAD.

I love guitars beat to hell, but working flawlessly. Fair play for your work on this bass. What's the scope of your meddling, set ups only, or doing bigger jobs too, like building bodies, etc?

Cheers lads!

Quote from: Smythsonian on March 03, 2023, 10:39:53 PMWhat gauge strings did ya go with?
Should be 130, 100, 80, 65 (low 4 off an ernie ball 5 string set)

Quote from: warhead on March 04, 2023, 01:27:56 PMWhat's the scope of your meddling, set ups only, or doing bigger jobs too, like building bodies, etc?
I can do set ups, part swaps, some basic body work (I've no router so all hand drill) but no building from scratch.  The main stuff I do anyway gear-related is pedal building so I wired up a few guitars as an extension to that.

Here's another of my own, reworked and re-done a while back.  It was in bad need of a clean and setup, and was noisy as fuck, so I pulled the pickups out, cleaned and sanded down the body, oiled it to death, rewired it all (new pots, jack, switch).  Put the pup out of a Chapman Baritone in it (found on adverts), set up for B Standard with 12-62s on it.  Covered the front cavity since I wasn't using it, copper taped it all, new tuners and knobs, everything else just cleaned.  Switch is for parallel/series operation on the pickup.  It is oddly bright but I love it, it plays beautifully.  Photos of the whole process sure:

Well I'm absolutely delighted with the outcome before I even start pretending I can play it

Just pulled the trigger on the new Laney Ironheart Loudpedal..looks the business..fucking steal at 220 quid.. the stuff coming out these days is absolutely amazing in the guitar gear world

Any bass pedal recommendations? Thinking tubescreamer TS9B. Love the Bolt Thrower tone and trying to ape it as much as possible.

Quote from: hellfire on April 05, 2023, 05:19:05 PMAny bass pedal recommendations? Thinking tubescreamer TS9B. Love the Bolt Thrower tone and trying to ape it as much as possible.
I'm flogging a pedal (Richter) at the moment that's a heavily modded Fulltone Bassdrive clone, which itself is a little bit TS in its design but heavily changed.  Good wide range of tones in it, I use it on my own board for baritone guitar, if you fancy seeing the details:

https://quilleffects.bigcartel.com/product/richter

https://youtu.be/9ACwz3ly_Mk (guitar demo)

https://youtu.be/o2RPgckM9tkPin (bass demo)

I think the Bolt Thrower Bass tone involved a HM2 too mind, looking it up before, after seeing Godflesh live and knowing that was all they had on bass I'd say you can't go wrong with one of those either.  Vicious, heavy, snarling.  If you didn't want a HM2 outright, Moose was doing bass-oriented versions, his HM23, a while back and might still have some available.  https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid06ow66L1m1bJSSvzbkhvu3LKP116SUrLY69Jwgz97gxBP7U6a4GExBiN8jxF9QUKhl&id=150000628367274 for some details, I can't find a demo at the moment.

Also Moose but more Rat-ish than HM2, I would recommend his Sledgehammer:
https://www.moosetwentythree.com/shop/sledgehammer
Having used a Battlehammer on bass a lot, this has more options and tweaks to suit bass even more, have heard nothing but good things on it.

Hope any of that helps.

It all helps a lot. Thanks lad. I'll check those.

The Sledgehammer is sold out. That Battle Hammer sounds great though. Slapping in an order later.

Quote from: hellfire on April 05, 2023, 08:42:42 PMThe Sledgehammer is sold out. That Battle Hammer sounds great though. Slapping in an order later.

Good move, let me know how you get on with it!

If you send Moose an email through the site, he might have some Sledgehammer's on the way too, if you'd still prefer it.  But having used a Battlehammer for years here on guitar live and recorded bass, you can't fault it at all.