#180 November 06, 2019, 10:37:54 PM Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 10:39:36 PM by Makeshiftatomsmasher
Just picked up Jackson Randy Rhodes v. Love the tone from the pickups. Need to get it properly set up, for low tunings.   It's just so awkward to play sitting down.

Quote from: Yung Led Zeppelin on November 06, 2019, 06:31:26 PM
Anyone on here ever run an Orange TH30?

It is piquing my interest as a nice big boy amp that I could finally afford, but I've yet to actually play through one. Demos seem nice, but you never really know with amps til you actually take them for a spin, I find

I've played a TH30 through both a Marshall and, later, an Orange cab. Both times it was my Gibson SG directly into the head.

You can get some seriously filthy Doom/Stoner tones out of it - as you would expect from an Orange. In the neck pick-up position the thing is like clotted cream rolling down a custard hill.

I don't shred so I can't help on that front.

One thing - and this might be a mental block - to my ears it sounded better running through the Orange cab.

I've played one a few times, I think there's one in the downstairs of Fibbers. I really really like them. Might just be in my head but it feels like there's a lot of clarity and crispiness to the amp, very mid heavy. I had a tube screamer going into it for a bit more bite, but it could probably be used without with just a little more gain and be just fine. It also responded well to me using the volume pot to get a clean tone (didn't have a footswitch)
Lastly, I love how simple the design is. My main amp is a Laney VH100, which has way too many knobs. So I love how straightforward things are with the Orange

That all sounds good to me lads!

Playing in Fibbers in January (albeit on bass) so I'll keep my eyes peeled for that and get a quick blast in hopefully.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on November 13, 2019, 10:13:38 AM

It is piquing my interest as a nice big boy amp that I could finally afford, but I've yet to actually play through one. Demos seem nice, but you never really know with amps til you actually take them for a spin, I find

I've played a TH30 through both a Marshall and, later, an Orange cab. Both times it was my Gibson SG directly into the head.

You can get some seriously filthy Doom/Stoner tones out of it - as you would expect from an Orange. In the neck pick-up position the thing is like clotted cream rolling down a custard hill.

I don't shred so I can't help on that front.

One thing - and this might be a mental block - to my ears it sounded better running through the Orange cab.

Most likely different speakers in the two cabs so it'll sound different alright. Usually Vintage 30s in the Orange and G12T in the Marshall.

Quick question for the people with gear acquisition issues :) Apart from the usuals (that I know of), like Thomann, Musicstore, GAK, Andertons, what other online retailers do people know of that are good in terms of selection and value? By the way, this query comes in from Santa :)

Reverb.com can be good. Shipping can sometimes be prohibitive but the range of stuff they have is second to none. Great for hard to find/discontinued bits n pieces too.

P.S. That you Rory?

Quote from: Emphyrio on November 20, 2019, 03:54:07 PM
Reverb.com can be good. Shipping can sometimes be prohibitive but the range of stuff they have is second to none. Great for hard to find/discontinued bits n pieces too.

P.S. That you Rory?

Sure is Crowley. Amp hunting at the moment and just want to try get the best value. Might wait for black Friday and see what moves.

Anything in particular tickling your fancy?

Quote from: Emphyrio on November 21, 2019, 03:33:39 PM
Anything in particular tickling your fancy?

Peavey 6505 man...need a big amp!

I picked up the 6505 mini head there over xmas. Love it - it has *that* tone, its just not as loud as its big brother (x2 the price new) plus I dont need a loud amp for recording....

Also picked up an eBow (class!) and the TwoNotes Captor box.

Mini heads are where it is most certainly at, especially when you have been used to lugging full sized heads around. I only gigged the Ironball once with TTOW but, despite worrying about it not being up to the task, it was more than ample for a venue with a PA. The samples I heard of the little 6505 have all sounded amazing.

I have another 2x12 at home there to replace the 1x12 but that is completely needless for practice, other than that, this is my current rig.  Fuck all i'd change either bar the Brutalist Jr. on the pedalboard - it's a grand pedal, I just have a modded one on the cards here that i keep putting off finishing.  Using the DD7 as both a delay and a splitter.  Can tweak the set up quickly for either just the Elf, the Laney, or both combined, which is far far too loud for the jam space but does sound fuckin great.  I must mix up one of the recent rough jam tracks' guitar soon and show ye.

Picked up a coupla bits lately. Got the TC Eyemaster. It's missing a bit of the snarl from a HM-2 but it's defo in the same ball park. Also got a Mooer Baby Bomb for my second board set up. It's got a weird sweep on the volume knob. It goes from quiet to fucking LOUD in the space of a 1mm rotation. I'm using a volume switch box to tame it. Defo loud enough to gig with and fits on a pedalboard.

After 18 years of playing guitar I finally bought a tuner  :abbath: