Quote from: Naraka on February 14, 2024, 09:26:23 AMI liked their s/t and Backspacer, I thought Gigaton and Lightning Bolt were poor. I remember hearing them for the first time in '92 and being blown away by them. They were my favourite band throughout the '90's but they went to shit after Binaural.

The first 5 tracks on "Backspacer" are decent and then it fades to nothing. "World Wide Suicide" and "Army Reserve" are the only two tracks that I remember from the S/T.

I'd be the same as you, they were never my favourite band though - but, when I heard the stuff from "Ten", I thought that they were great. Clicked immediately - having started secondary school and all that. Fairly intense with them up to and including "Yield" (queued outside HMV for a copy of "Vitology" - with only 5 other spacers) and then got bored on "Binaural". Reckon that it's the last Pearl Jam record that I listened to all the way through more than once.

I still play the first 5 albums a good bit (plus "Live On Two Legs") but I have no need to investigate them further beyond listening to new releases once.

First 3 are all that I bother with and usually just Ten at that - Vs. and Vitalogy each have plenty of filler. They're a 'best of' band after that, it all blends into one for me. Live On Two Legs is pretty good, their live stuff is worth picking through but I wouldn't be bothered with this for half the price, never mind what they'll be looking for.

Saw them up in Belfast years ago, back around 2010 maybe? Seemed a bit phoned in at that stage, thought maybe it was an off night but looking at some recent footage I think they're just not arsed anymore

Love the first four albums but it went rapidly downhill since then

Fuck this Smashing Pumpkins in 3 Arena the week before

I think when Gossard and Ament handed over the majority of the songwriting to Vedder it became a totally different band both creatively and as an entity. To be honest, I probably listen to the Temple of the Dog and Mother Love Bone albums more than any Pearl Jam albums.

Quote from: Naraka on February 14, 2024, 11:46:51 AMTo be honest, I probably listen to the Temple of the Dog and Mother Love Bone albums more than any Pearl Jam albums.

Same!

Went to see Vedder and Hansard in the MArquee a few years back.
Mainly cause the missus has a serious soft spot for Vedder.
It was a good show but fuck me sideways, the number of Vedder/PJ fan-cunts in the crowd was borderline unbearable.
I can only imagine what a full blown PJ gig of that size will be like.   :-X

QuoteI think when Gossard and Ament handed over the majority of the songwriting to Vedder it became a totally different band both creatively and as an entity. To be honest, I probably listen to the Temple of the Dog and Mother Love Bone albums more than any Pearl Jam albums.

Throw mad season into that pile.

Stone and Mike don't seem bothered at all and I'd question Vedder's songwriting capabilities from a musical standpoint. Bland is the word. These days it's hard to tell the difference between Pearl Jam and his solo stuff.

I was at that Belfast gig it was 2010 alright. That was the first one I came away from underwhelmed. I'd seen the. On the self titled tour only a few years previous and it was so much better.

The last few times I've seen them they've been on but Ed's vocals have been questionable.

Don't get me started on that stupid fuckin bromance he has with Hansard. Glen is a crime against music, the fact he practically does the gigs with vedder means I'll never hit one of those solo shows

Remember seeing someone say that Hansard is the type of lad to find an acoustic at a gaf session and proceed to wreck the night for everyone. Think that sums him up perfectly

Quote from: Pagan Saviour on February 14, 2024, 02:42:29 PM
QuoteI think when Gossard and Ament handed over the majority of the songwriting to Vedder it became a totally different band both creatively and as an entity. To be honest, I probably listen to the Temple of the Dog and Mother Love Bone albums more than any Pearl Jam albums.

Throw mad season into that pile.

Stone and Mike don't seem bothered at all and I'd question Vedder's songwriting capabilities from a musical standpoint. Bland is the word. These days it's hard to tell the difference between Pearl Jam and his solo stuff.

I was at that Belfast gig it was 2010 alright. That was the first one I came away from underwhelmed. I'd seen the. On the self titled tour only a few years previous and it was so much better.

The last few times I've seen them they've been on but Ed's vocals have been questionable.

Don't get me started on that stupid fuckin bromance he has with Hansard. Glen is a crime against music, the fact he practically does the gigs with vedder means I'll never hit one of those solo shows

Should've mentioned Mad Season alright. Some of Ament's solo stuff is ok too.

Quote from: Trev on February 14, 2024, 03:03:11 PMRemember seeing someone say that Hansard is the type of lad to find an acoustic at a gaf session and proceed to wreck the night for everyone. Think that sums him up perfectly
:laugh:

Forgot to pick up on the Matt Cameron point made earlier. Couldn't agree more, he's a dreadful fit for the band. Very talented for sure, and has written some of their cooler latter day tunes but on the stuff he hasn't written he shows himself up. Live, he plays the stuff way too fast, there's zero feel to the older stuff especially.

The two Dave's were their best drummers. Abruzezee especially, gave them a bit of wallop. Even Jack Irons on Yield and No Code was closer to their vibe.

Don't like PJ but Dave Abruzezee was/is an unbelievable rock drummer.

Charging through the nose is one thing.

Even more shameless coming from a band who once challenged the problematic Livenation monopoly, now one of their biggest racketeers.

No Code is their chef-d'oeuvre for me, top to bottom, followed by Vitalogy, Ten and Yield. I'd pick one or two songs from Versus and Binaural that I'd have any interest in today, and would place both albums miles behind Riot Act.  They fell off a cliff after than when they handed song writing duties over, becoming the dour radio-rock-by-numbers, Eddie Vedder and Friends.

I'd agree with the comments on Matt Cameron.  He's a master behind the kit in Soundgarden, his style unlike anyone else I can think of, but is a complete misfit for PJ and vice versa.  Having said that, he wrote the best tracks on Riot Act (and more), and it sounds like Matt's mitts are all over the new single too, which is the best thing I've heard from them in 20 years.  Could be wrong about his input here of course.

So what I'm saying is, I'd rather drop my balls into boiling water than pay €200 to stand in a field listening to Vedder pontificate about Ukraine or Trump or some other shit, when I caught the No Code tour in the Point in '96 for 16 or 17 punts.

Quote from: open face surgery on February 14, 2024, 06:47:41 PMDon't like PJ but Dave Abruzezee was/is an unbelievable rock drummer.

Agree 100% there. Pity he wanted to do the rock star thing a bit too much