Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Did the Dunnes strike contribute in real terms to the end of apartheid in South Africa? I don't know how that might be calculated, yet I feel it was a positive action on the part of those who did it. Same time, could've been said to them, "Well why aren't you refusing to touch Coca-Cola's [or whoever] products too?"

Pretty sure I've said it on here before, but my basic personal conviction is that on the whole it's better for society if individuals believe their own actions can potentially contribute to large scale societal changes, even if the vast majority of attempts come to next to nothing. Within that, there'll always be people cynically hopping on the band-wagon, XYZ-washing, or doing activism in ludicrous, harmful, or mean-spirited ways: humans be humaning. But I personally still prefer presence of protest to generalized cynical apathy which, historically, has tended to hide very real suffering somewhere out of sight.

Yes that's fair enough. I just think that in the case of a metal festival, Barclays or whoever being removed as a sponsor will only damage the festival. The presence of Barclays advertising at the festival would presumably have zero impact on their profits but their contribution towards the organisation and booking of the festival might actually be vitally important. Yeah yeah, the promoters can go and find another sponsor, but it can't be all that easy to get sponsors on that level who have the potential to make a real impact on the booking of bands, flights, catering, booking hotels, drivers etc etc etc.

#182 June 20, 2024, 12:40:00 PM Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 07:10:36 AM by Pagan Saviour
Dunnes example is a good one! And I believe it had impact, at the very least in terms of highlighting the situation and raising overall awareness. Of course it didn't end apartheid but I do think a great example of something small making a contribution and it's still referred back to as something of a statement in Irish history. The people involved could've lost their jobs, there was risk and result.

Whereas there's something hollow about these cancellations, the bands in question have nothing to barter with. Download will not collapse if Dying Wish don't play and as young Mclove says in respect to sponsors like Barclays "Contribution towards the organisation and booking of the festival might actually be vitally important". Potential to be more damaging if anything. Really the only people I think that would be impressed is the bands few fans that might be swayed by such things.

Just going to add to this a bit, I've gone onto both acts pages just to check out the online sentiment. The eejit that sings for Dying Wish predominantly wears Nike and Converse, some are suggesting endorsed by one or both. So morals out the fuckin window really if you're happy enough to wear items that are clearly made through the process of exploitation, usually women and children. Again, I'm not an activist, most of our stuff is made in sweat shops, very hard to buy something truly ethical. I don't lose any sleep over it, awful as those places are, you can't really fight city hall on some things. But when you're demanding the removal of sponsors etc as I said earlier, you'd want to be able to hold yourselves up to the bar you've set.

The climate activists on the other hand are receiving dogs abuse - this quote made me chuckle

Quoteyou knew this before you took the slot but you're just doing this because it's the trendy thing for bands to do at the moment. moist behaviour

Samhain Fest in Maastrcht have just announced a 'Banned merch list' and anyone seen wearing anything by the bands listed will be refused entry or asked to leave. The list includes Burzum, Satanic Warmaster, Peste Noir, Graveland, Hate Forest, Absurd. I understand they're controversial bands but crazy times that you'll be turned away from a metal festival for what merch you're wearing. They also waited until the fest was sold out to say this.

#184 October 22, 2024, 10:16:43 PM Last Edit: October 22, 2024, 11:05:15 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Is that the same fest that just booted D666?

Edit: Sorry, that was Samaïn Fest in Brittany, not Samhain Fest in Belgium :D

Dress code at a metal gig  :laugh:

Quote from: Mithrandir on October 22, 2024, 09:31:38 PMSamhain Fest in Maastrcht have just announced a 'Banned merch list' and anyone seen wearing anything by the bands listed will be refused entry or asked to leave. The list includes Burzum, Satanic Warmaster, Peste Noir, Graveland, Hate Forest, Absurd. I understand they're controversial bands but crazy times that you'll be turned away from a metal festival for what merch you're wearing. They also waited until the fest was sold out to say this.

Absolute state of that. Paragraphs typing out in my head in an instant, and yet none of them able to capture the true spirit of my absolute disgust at this and anyone who wants to turn up at it

Fucking hell. Who are these wimps and posers...

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 22, 2024, 10:16:43 PMIs that the same fest that just booted D666?

Edit: Sorry, that was Samaïn Fest in Brittany, not Samhain Fest in Belgium :D

FB link to post:
https://www.facebook.com/events/6786113351441694?post_id=8545545555498456&view=permalink

Maybe they'll provide stickers for people to cover up offending patches on their jackets  :D

I read the post in that link, it says you'll get kicked out for wearing neo-nazi shit.

They "urge" you not to wear merch from said bands, doesn't say you'll be booted for it:

What does we strongly urge you not to wear a Burzum t-shirt mean if it doesn't mean you'll get kicked out? They'll give you a disapproving look and make you really really feel bad?

I'm sitting here in a Burzum T-shirt finding this whole thing heily amusing.

Fucking hell.

Arghoslent aren't an NSBM band so it's fine to wear one of their t-shirts along with a Trump hat.

Quote from: Giggles on October 23, 2024, 12:44:49 AMI read the post in that link, it says you'll get kicked out for wearing neo-nazi shit.

They "urge" you not to wear merch from said bands, doesn't say you'll be booted for it:

The organizer has asked what other bands he should include in the list to not miss anything. What would the purpose of this be other than to decide whether somebody is denied entry or be asked to leave, What's the alternative? Bold corner by the entrance?

Friendly reeducation and indoctrination into RABM kvlt.