I'll have to do some heavy metal homework from this thread, I've never heard a Black Sabbath album and could probably name 3 songs 😳😳

#76 March 23, 2024, 09:15:38 PM Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 09:18:55 PM by The Wretch
Does not compute.

Carnage will likely tell you that everything after the first six are crap, and everything from the 80's is AOR. :laugh:

But he's right in that you can't go far wrong with those first six, and they are the best place to start.

Although personally, I love most everything Iommi related. Aside from a few songs on his first solo album. Although that was more the choice of vocalists than his riffs. which were mint.

#77 March 23, 2024, 10:19:10 PM Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 11:34:33 AM by Sworntothecans
Sabotage & Heaven & Hell.
Sabotage for Hole In The Sky and Heaven & Hell as it was the first Sabbath album I heard when I was a kid as the older cousin had the record.

Quote from: Mithrandir on March 23, 2024, 09:04:36 PMI'll have to do some heavy metal homework from this thread, I've never heard a Black Sabbath album and could probably name 3 songs 😳😳
The fuck 😂 Man just start at the beginning and don't stop!

Quote from: jobrok1 on March 22, 2024, 11:19:07 AMTony Martin set is on the way.  :abbath:

------------------

Black Sabbath - Anno Domini 1989-1995

The set contains newly remastered versions of Headless Cross (1989), Tyr (1990), and Cross Purposes (1994), plus a new version of Forbidden (1995) that guitarist Tony Iommi remixed specially for the collection.

Could someone explain in layman's terms what remastering, remixing are and how it changes the sound if it does,

thanks in advance.

Quote from: Uinsion on March 27, 2024, 03:06:51 PM
Quote from: jobrok1 on March 22, 2024, 11:19:07 AMTony Martin set is on the way.  :abbath:

------------------

Black Sabbath - Anno Domini 1989-1995

The set contains newly remastered versions of Headless Cross (1989), Tyr (1990), and Cross Purposes (1994), plus a new version of Forbidden (1995) that guitarist Tony Iommi remixed specially for the collection.

Could someone explain in layman's terms what remastering, remixing are and how it changes the sound if it does,

I mean why would/should I buy a remastered version?
Why would/should I buy a remixed version?

thanks in advance.

#81 March 27, 2024, 03:49:57 PM Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 04:00:27 PM by Bürggermeister
Mixing is where each track/instrument/mic can be adjusted individually (level, EQ, compression, reverb, etc) and can completely change the sound of a piece of music. A completed mix of a song is then Mastered to give a cohesive overall sound and volume level to an album.

An example of a good remix is the Relapse version of Human by Death compared to the original Relativity version. The drums and bass have been brought up a bit, there is more mid in the guitar sound. It's subtle but very well done and adds to the album. A bad example is what Mustaine did to the Megadeth catalogue.

Remastering is where an existing mix is EQ'd, compressed, etc as a whole. Any change is applied to all instruments. If the mix is shit, or if it's drenched in too much reverb for example, a remaster isn't going to fix that. In the early days of CDs, the same mastering job was used for records, CDs and tapes, which wasn't ideal. It has been a means, for a while, to simply sell a louder version of an album but occasionally can be quite dramatic and really improve the audio quality

A good example of an excellent remaster is comparing the original Spheres by Pestilence to the version which came out a few months ago. Same mix but they've brought the low end back and the thin sounding original is consigned to the past.

Most remasters are far from essential but there are the occasional gems which breathe life into an old recording. Some remixes are not sympathetic to the vibe of the original release but, again, you can't blanket them as good or bad. When done well, they can be worth the investment. Forbidden was long overdue a remix, it was a fucking terrible sounding album. Born Again and Dehumanizer too, should have been remixed. If the jobs have been done well it should give these albums a spark, if not, it'll just be one for the collections of completists.

Quote from: Bürggermeister on March 27, 2024, 03:49:57 PMMixing is where each track/instrument/mic can be adjusted individually (level, EQ, compression, reverb, etc) and can completely change the sound of a piece of music. A completed mix of a song is then Mastered to give a cohesive overall sound and volume level to an album.

An example of a good remix is the Relapse version of Human by Death compared to the original Relativity version. The drums and bass have been brought up a bit, there is more mid in the guitar sound. It's subtle but very well done and adds to the album. A bad example is what Mustaine did to the Megadeth catalogue.

Remastering is where an existing mix is EQ'd, compressed, etc as a whole. Any change is applied to all instruments. If the mix is shit, or if it's drenched in too much reverb for example, a remaster isn't going to fix that. In the early days of CDs, the same mastering job was used for records, CDs and tapes, which wasn't ideal. It has been a means, for a while, to simply sell a louder version of an album but occasionally can be quite dramatic and really improve the audio quality

A good example of an excellent remaster is comparing the original Spheres by Pestilence to the version which came out a few months ago. Same mix but they've brought the low end back and the thin sounding original is consigned to the past.

Most remasters are far from essential but there are the occasional gems which breathe life into an old recording. Some remixes are not sympathetic to the vibe of the original release but, again, you can't blanket them as good or bad. When done well, they can be worth the investment. Forbidden was long overdue a remix, it was a fucking terrible sounding album. Born Again and Dehumanizer too, should have been remixed. If the jobs have been done well it should give these albums a spark, if not, it'll just be one for the collections of completists.

Slightly off topic picked up the Skid Row atlantic years box set on cd and stuck on slave to the grind after a few cans...absolutely drenched in reverb...Unlistenable..Fecked it off and put on the original cd...havent gone near that box set since .

Back on topic looking forward to the new Sabbath one..great stuff on them albums