Quote from: Carnage on May 10, 2022, 10:27:00 AM
Quote from: Necro Red on May 10, 2022, 10:14:00 AMStill on a Sci-fi buzz and read The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. It is one of those books that could be adapted for the big screen, surprised it hasn't really.

I think there's a series in the works, I heard rumblings about it a couple of years ago. Excellent book, the basis for an album by Slough Feg, I believe. I must read more of his.

Stephen King had a short story inspired by it, and the idea of 'jaunting'. The Jaunt, follected in Skeleton Crew.

That Stephen King story is excellent.

Picked up war and peace a few weeks back for 3£ for the craic along with a few sci-fi short story collections. Short stories where a mixed bag from ok to excellent, the highlight being deathbird by Harlan Ellison (the story, not the book of collected stories of his his work). Someone I've been meaning to deep dive as I've enjoyed anything I've read from him. Anyone any recommendations of his collections as he has alot of output. Have already read I have no mouth.

Didn't think I'd ever be in the mood for tackling war and peace, but smashed out 100 pages the other day. It's surprisingly engaging. Who knows if I'll ever get back to it though.

Quote from: Necro Red on May 10, 2022, 10:14:00 AMStill on a Sci-fi buzz and read The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. It is one of those books that could be adapted for the big screen, surprised it hasn't really.

I think there's a series in the works, I heard rumblings about it a couple of years ago. Excellent book, the basis for an album by Slough Feg, I believe. I must read more of his.

Stephen King had a short story inspired by it, and the idea of 'jaunting'. The Jaunt, follected in Skeleton Crew.
Ah, cool. It really is top notch Sci-fi!

I picked up Beyond Good and Evil by Nietzsche recently but have been holding off on diving in until I cleared the small mountain growing beside the bed. Fuck that; time to wade in :)

Quote from: blessed1 on May 10, 2022, 05:09:06 PM

That Stephen King story is excellent.

Yeah that Stephen king story is brilliant

I recently re-read David Gemmel's Sword In The Storm and Midnight Falcon. By far my two favourite books of his. Absolutely loved his books when I was younger.

Also read a book called Snuff by Erik Enck and Adam Huber.  I've read some extremely depraved books but this one is one of the worst I've read yet.

Just about done with "Our Band Could Be Your Life" by Michael Azerrad. Two chapters left.

It's a decent read and perhaps one that I should have gotten to much earlier. It's clear that Azerrad personally doesn't like a few of the people that he's writing about. Rollins for one.

The title could easily be "Your Favourite Bands Are All Dickheads" too though.

Still don't get the gushing in regards to Sonic Youth - a band that probably sold more t-shirts than records.

Started Ken Kesey's "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" yesterday - a book that I've had on the to-read shelf for about 25 years or more.

Ripping through it.

Started back on Dune after taking a break for a while, enjoyed God Emperor but Herbert must have been on some pretty good psychedelics writing it. Heretics of Dune I'm finding much more of a slog to get through

The remains of the Day - Kazou Ishiguro

I finished up Beyond Good and Evil. Intense stuff that more often than not veers into insane territory. I'm not sure how practical his philosophy is if you were going to try to take it on fully as it is not so much superhuman as anti-human in many respects. Some of it you could loosely apply but in a very watered down way, but he is too much of an extremist in his thinking to be of much use for most people.

Cracking into The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley next. It's one that was recommended to me several years ago but I never found a copy until last weekend. I have a feeling it will be a lighter read than Nietzsche was!

I have it on the shelf but haven't got around to it.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on July 12, 2022, 01:12:07 PM
I finished up Beyond Good and Evil. Intense stuff that more often than not veers into insane territory. I'm not sure how practical his philosophy is if you were going to try to take it on fully as it is not so much superhuman as anti-human in many respects. Some of it you could loosely apply but in a very watered down way, but he is too much of an extremist in his thinking to be of much use for most people.

BGE can be read as a kind of critical companion to Thus Spake Zarathustra, subtitled - relative to your not incorrect impressions about BGE - "A book for everyone and nobody."

Thus Spoke Zarathustra is the only other one of his I've read. I found it easier as it follows a sort of narrative but yeah, philosophically it is so extreme in its positions that you can't quite relate to it. It's philosophy for outsiders and very troubled minds, at least if taken literally. I can't help thinking that taking it any other way would be common and human (pejoratively speaking) in Nietzsche's eyes.

His schtick was certainly pretty idiosyncratic. Not going to recommend any secondary literature, but if you want to expand a little further, you could check out the pages on Zarathustra and BGE from the section "Why I write such excellent books" of Ecce Homo. As you can guess from the name of the section, opinions vary as to just where Nietzsche's own sarcasm meter was pointing when writing this latter book. You can look through those pages here. The bit on Zarathustra is only a few pages long, that on BGE only two paragraphs:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/52190/52190-h/52190-h.htm#THUS_SPAKE_ZARATHUSTRA_A_BOOK_FOR_ALL_AND_NONE