I just finished Lords Of Chaos. It's the updated version.
I'd never read it before but was well aware of it for years.
If the News Of The World wrote a music biography.
The people involved seemed to have a serious horn for Varg!
Also I wouldn't want to see any of  them on a jury. They would be roaring guilty before they knew what the trial even was even for.

#1066 January 26, 2022, 10:10:43 AM Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:59:09 AM by Necro Red
Quote from: Circlepit on January 25, 2022, 10:58:16 PM
I just finished Lords Of Chaos. It's the updated version.
I'd never read it before but was well aware of it for years.
If the News Of The World wrote a music biography.
The people involved seemed to have a serious horn for Varg!
Also I wouldn't want to see any of  them on a jury. They would be roaring guilty before they knew what the trial even was even for.
it's a fun read all the same. Sensationalised of course. I enjoyed the film too.

Oh I'm glad I read it. It made me want to go through the Burzum discography again.
Satanic Warmaster as well simply because the name is killer.

I'm reading Jonathan Franzen, Crossroads.  So far so good.

Started the Road To Wigan Pier by Orwell. I'm a fan of the other books I've read by him and this is shaping up to be good. On to the Godfather after this then

Currently reading (and absolutely ripping through) "Seinfeldia" by Jennifer Armstrong.

Sounds like it's in much the same vein as Necro's "You've Got Red On You".

Goes into the minutiae of the Seinfeld universe without ever becoming excruciating or getting lost in the weeds.

Just started on Hilary Mantel's The Mirror And The Light, the third part of the 'Wolf Hall' trilogy. The first two were fantastic, hoping for more of the same from this one.

Started The Dying of the Light by George Martin. Picked it up for fuck all a while back. Not loving the cut of its jib but it's early days yet

Quote from: Carnage on February 07, 2022, 05:40:45 PM
Just started on Hilary Mantel's The Mirror And The Light, the third part of the 'Wolf Hall' trilogy. The first two were fantastic, hoping for more of the same from this one.

Brilliant books.

Yep, can't recommend them enough. I'd put off reading them for a long time as the previous one of hers I'd read (Beyond Black) was poor, until the protagonist's past was revealed. Silly decision, Wolf Hall in particular might be the best book I'd read in a decade at least.

Just couldn't get into Wolf Hall. I know I'm wrong.
Started reading Anthony Beevor World War 2.

Quote from: Don Gately on February 08, 2022, 09:54:56 PM
Just couldn't get into Wolf Hall. I know I'm wrong.
Started reading Anthony Beevor World War 2.

I love Beevors stuff but that book is a bit incoherent. His speciality is the eastern front and he spends too much time on it. Stalingrad and Berlin are two of the most engaging history books you can read though, outstanding achievements even if yer man from Peep Show didn't agree :)

Yes Caomhaoin I've heard that it is a bit muddled, I've read both Berlin and Stalingrad. Both fantastic. Early on in the book already and the battle of Finland seems to be missing!
Any others you'd recommend?
Theres a good podcast by Ray Harris Jr. about WW2

Quote from: Don Gately on February 09, 2022, 10:38:03 AM
Yes Caomhaoin I've heard that it is a bit muddled, I've read both Berlin and Stalingrad. Both fantastic. Early on in the book already and the battle of Finland seems to be missing!
Any others you'd recommend?
Theres a good podcast by Ray Harris Jr. about WW2

A time for trumpets is a very enjoyable read, it's about the battle of the Ardennes'44, which I find fascinating. The capability of the German army to (initially) totally outclass and dominate the allies 6 months before the end of the war almost beggars belief, even if they ran out of steam in a week.

Totally different period but if you can get a hold of Trevor Royles 'The Civil Wars' you're in for a treat. Rip roaring stuff, reads like a page turner of a novel, especially the later period events in Scotland with McColla Ghasda and Montrose/Argyll.

I read his one titled Culloden a few years ago, and was surprised to note that the titular battle was just a precursor to the meat and drink of the book, which is the seven years war.

Quote from: Born of Fire on June 27, 2021, 12:38:29 AM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 25, 2021, 11:15:39 PM
I finished Madhouse at the End of the Earth the other night. Thoroughly enjoyable stuff.

As it happens I saw a review of this today and it seems like it's something I'd definitely be into so I must pick up a copy. The insanity of the golden age of polar exploration is fascinating stuff.

Nabbed this today for around a fiver (Amazon), looking forward to it.