I've been meaning to read it (and some of his other nonfiction) for years. I read Animal Farm and 1984 when I was in school (and answered the modern novel question in the Leaving on them, despite them not being on that year's syllabus - fuck Silas Marner) and loved them, but just never got around to it.

Picked up a few books lately. Two Stephen King short story collections, an Irvine Welsh one I hadn't heard of, and some early sci-fi one by George Martin. Good old charity shops and the random outcomes.

Which Irvine Welsh did you get?

#873 June 26, 2021, 11:47:25 AM Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 11:49:34 AM by astfgyl
A Decent Ride. Haven't even started it yet but most of his stuff is good for a laugh and a sickening

In fact, one of the scenes in the second Trainspotting book is up there with the worst things I have ever read, where Spud and his dodgy pal pick up a dirty young one in the pub and get up to some of the sickest possible shit. The filth of it.

He's a master of calling up the most repugnant of human behaviour and somehow making it hilarious.

He has probably unfairly coloured my view of Scotland in general over the years, too.

No, that's exactly what it's like up there from the Highlands to the high rises of Edinburgh. Pure scum from top to bottom.

A decent ride is, well, decent. Juice Terry was the best thing about Glue so it was good to see him take ventre stage.

The last one I really enjoyed was Skagboys, Crime and the Blade Artist, not for me Jeff.

Met Irvine Welsh in a gaff here a few years back. Got a picture looking wrecked.

Skagboys is a great read.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 25, 2021, 11:15:39 PM
I finished Madhouse at the End of the Earth the other night. Thoroughly enjoyable stuff.

As it happens I saw a review of this today and it seems like it's something I'd definitely be into so I must pick up a copy. The insanity of the golden age of polar exploration is fascinating stuff.

Yeah, it's Endlessly fascinating. And there is something exciting about that era of exploration, when the world was still a half unknown place. The descriptions of the light and the weird phenomena like fata morgana always really capture my imagination and make me want to re-read At the Mountains of Madness!

Went a bit mad in a second shop in Youghal. Picked up an Edgar Allan Poe compiled stories, an illustrated version as well. Pynchon's "V" and Mishima's "Runaway Horses" and a poem book called "The Metaphysical Poet" (has a lot of John Donne). Got something for the missus too. Total was 30 quid which was mad. Most seem to be 1970s editions too.

Quote from: CorkonianHunger on June 28, 2021, 11:24:54 AM
Went a bit mad in a second shop in Youghal. Picked up an Edgar Allan Poe compiled stories, an illustrated version as well. Pynchon's "V" and Mishima's "Runaway Horses" and a poem book called "The Metaphysical Poet" (has a lot of John Donne). Got something for the missus too. Total was 30 quid which was mad. Most seem to be 1970s editions too.

Christ - that's a decent from a charity shop. I normally only see Dan Brown books and Gay Byrne's autobiography.

You will find a copy of "The Time Of My Life" by Gay Byrne in every charity shop across the nation.