Yep the first book almost reads like a bible once seen through the context of the second. I think the next 2 books are really, really worth reading but I'm hesitant to say why.

#676 January 08, 2021, 11:31:44 PM Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:11:33 PM by Carnage
Quote from: Carnage on November 16, 2020, 12:22:11 AM
Quote from: Caomhaoin on November 07, 2020, 11:04:08 AM
Quote from: Carnage on November 07, 2020, 02:24:38 AM
Still not in the form for getting back into the Dune series (God Emperor Of Dune up next) so just started Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Only 30 pages or thereabouts into it but so far it wipes the floor with the only other one of hers that I've read (Beyond Black). Yet to hear a bad word about it, so this bodes well.

That’s a savage book. I’m not normally into ‘historical fiction’ but she is a superb author. I finished that book in a day or two and I’m usually a painfully slow reader.

I'm enjoying it so far, nearly halfway through it. Haven't had much time to sit with it recently, though.

Finished that a while back, loved it. Took a break and read the Therapy? biography (also a good read) and then went back to the sequel Bring Up The Bodies, which deals with Ann Bolyn's downfall. Not quite on a par with Wolf Hall, but close.

Finished that on Wednesday night so I've moved on to Sacrifice And Transcendence - Swans: The Oral History by Nick Soulsby. Much more recent than I'd thought (2018) so it should be fairly comprehensive.

Finally got around to reading Lords of Chaos. I wish I had read it 20 years ago. It's not that well written and most of the interviewees come across as gigantic spas, excepting maybe the Venom lads and Quorthon.

A few holes filled in my knowledge I suppose but Faust, Blackthorn, and the quare fella especially...they talked some amount of shite.

Finally got round to Blood Meridian, about a third of the way in and can already say it's one of my favourites.

Champagne Football - Rowan and Tighe, this is a fucking mad Read lads. Delaney is some character.

The Fifth Risk - Michael Lewis, very interesting account of the Obama/Trump handover. Focusing on the Department of Energy. Absolutely a shocking indictment of the early days of tRump administration. 

#680 January 21, 2021, 07:14:19 PM Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 07:16:06 PM by open face surgery
Quote from: CorkonianHunger on January 21, 2021, 01:57:09 PM
Finally got round to Blood Meridian, about a third of the way in and can already say it's one of my favourites.

This book still haunts me. Never finished it. Will get back to it tomorrow.

Lately:

John Steinbeck - Travels with Charley in Search of America. Never read anything by him before. Adored this.

Martin Amis - Time's Arrow. Bit of a confusing read as it's about a man's life backwards but Amis is a legend.

George Orwell - Animal Farm. Had always meant to read it so sat down and blitzed through it. Great.

Quote from: CorkonianHunger on January 21, 2021, 01:57:09 PM

Great book, finished it a week ago. Took me a couple of tries to get through it all. Seems to be the same for most people, even fans of his. Worth the effort though. Reading Outer Dark at the moment, enjoying that too. Might take a break from him after that. I've got a load of Tom Hollands books I bought on offer over the Chrimbo to read too.

Coming to the end of The Order of Time by Carlo Rovelli. Complex ideas about the nature of time made (mostly) comprehensible to my slow brain.

I started into The Chrysalids by John Wyndham which is immediately engaging and a breath of fresh air after the mind melt of Rovelli.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 21, 2021, 07:52:50 PM
I started into The Chrysalids by John Wyndham which is immediately engaging and a breath of fresh air after the mind melt of Rovelli.

This is in the pile for me. Had to read for college the last 4 years so fiction been on the backburner. Took out 10 books and this was one. Think I got it for 2 quid. Interested to give it a go.

Haha, funny you say that. I picked it up second hand in an op shop in Oz for a couple of dollars a year or two ago. Just getting to it now.

#685 January 21, 2021, 08:15:25 PM Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:34:51 PM by Carnage
Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 21, 2021, 07:52:50 PMI started into The Chrysalids by John Wyndham which is immediately engaging and a breath of fresh air after the mind melt of Rovelli.

I bought that (The Chrysalids) just over a year ago but ended up giving it to someone for christmas as their actual present was faulty. I must pick it up again, he reckoned it (and the other few Wyndham books he read after falling down the rabbit hole) was great.

I'm only ten pages into it but the writing is beautiful and the story instantly captivating.

That Swans biography is brilliant, essential reading if you're a fan at all. A nice companion piece to the documentary, with much more detail, obviously.

Moved on from that to Elton John's autobiography, slight contrast there.

Got a Kafka compilation in the post just now, been meaning to read him for years. Christ knows when I'll get around to it, though.

Started Blood Meridian again yesterday. 10th time is the charm.

I bought The Essential Kafka last year at some point. Havent opened it yet.

Quote from: open face surgery on January 23, 2021, 08:02:19 PMI bought The Essential Kafka last year at some point. Havent opened it yet.

That's the one I picked up, £2.50 on Amazon, be rude not to.