Quote from: Necro Red on September 30, 2024, 11:11:10 AMI read You Were Never Here by Jonathan Ames over the weekend. Fairly short book, but excellent. I couldn't put it down. I've only read two of his books and have enjoyed both so I'll definitely check out more of his material. He wrote the TV show Vored To Death too which I love
I read Wake Up Sir and loved it. Blunt Talk is a good laugh and I'm fairly sure it got canned like Bored To Death

Read Eyrie by Tim Winton

Quote from: Don Gately on October 03, 2024, 10:33:51 AMRead Eyrie by Tim Winton

I've read Cloud Street and The Hut (or something like that... The Cabin...) He's a superb writer.

Eyrie is brilliant,

I'll keep an eye out for it so. Cheers.

Did a reread 20 and 30 years later respectively of 1984 and Animal Farm. Was gonna read Orwell's essays to give the background of 1984 til I realised I'm not doing a treatise on the fuckin thing and wasn't arsed. Both brilliant books.

Got a collection of Ernest Hemingway short stories for a couple of quid, the drunken auld bollix can spin a yarn, fair play to him. Loves blood sports :)

Sent the auld lad a copy of Christopher Moore's 'Lamb' to cheer him up after he had surgery there. Considering he struggled to stay with 'Down and Out in Paris and London' because 'a lot of this is bullshit', he's hard to please but he loves this one. 'Gas'. High praise from a cantankerous Kerryman :)

I enjoyed Down And Out... a lot, read it a year or two back. Animal Farm and 1984 are bothe excellent too, though it's been at least 30 years since I read them. I have The Road To Wigan Pier here, I must get into that.

Never read a word of Hemingway, been meaning to for a while. That Ken Burns series on him is well worth a watch.

#1718 October 06, 2024, 12:14:13 PM Last Edit: October 06, 2024, 12:21:20 PM by Caomhaoin
Road to Wigan Pier is an excellent book, if a bit grim. I think it's Jordan Peterson's favourite non-fiction book, make of that what you will. DAOIPAL is one of those books that's like a warm cup of cocoa, pure comfort reading. Very funny in parts.

Coming up for air is the best of his novels if you ask me. I've never been fishing but I really, really wanted to give it a lash after reading thon.

Quote from: Carnage on October 06, 2024, 12:00:24 PMI enjoyed Down And Out... a lot, read it a year or two back. Animal Farm and 1984 are bothe excellent too, though it's been at least 30 years since I read them. I have The Road To Wigan Pier here, I must get into that.

Never read a word of Hemingway, been meaning to for a while. That Ken Burns series on him is well worth a watch.

I'd start with 'A Farewell to Arms' with Hemingway, based on his time in Italy in WW1. Class book, straightforward writing style suits me as well :)

I like his short stories , the Snows of Kilnanjaro is interesting

Just started a re-read of Lolita. Holy shit, I forgot how in-depth he goes into the rationale and justification for being a pedo. Interesting experience reading a book with incredible writing, but on such a horrible topic. 'Nymphet' has to be one of the grimiest terms in literature.

Ryan Dennis: The Beasts They Turned Away - it's an American writing about rural Ireland and it shows in some of the words & terms used. I can't figure out what I think of it yet (I'm about halfway through). An old man takes in a silent, unnamed child who wears a cow's skull over his head and is thought to be cursed by the locals. Meanwhile an unpopular young farmer is trying to drive the old man out and buy his land. Part The Field, part (the early section of Mike McCormack's) Crowe's Requiem, it's an odd one.

I've read Lolita but can't recall enough to comment, it's on the shelves, no doubt to be taken out again one day, .....that book you're reading sounds interesting Carnage, might look around for that.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes