That's a new one on me. Charity shops are the way to go.

Charity shops are great, yeah. That's where I do a lot of my book buying. Over here they area almost giving the things away.

Another vote here for charity shops. Majority of what they'll have is going to be shite but there's usually a gem or 2 to be found. I got 2 Stephen King books for about 6 euro the other day, a paperback copy of The Dead Zone and a nice hardback copy of Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

The ones over in England are pure goldmines compared to home.

There is a second hand bookshop in Inverness, can't mind if the name now, which is the biggest and best I've ever been in. Not charity shop prices but reasúnta.

I don't know how the likes of Easons are staying open ,the prices they charge. Apart from the prices in charity shops I also like the 'never know what you're going to get' factor. The only way to go indeed.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

The only place to buy books here is a local shop (ridiculously expensive, Tesco (shite range) and the GSPCA shop (hit & miss, usually miss). When I'm heading over to Galway I always budget for a splurge in Charlie Byrne's and/or Bell, Book & Candle. I don't think I've ever been into either without coming out with a few unexpected finds.

Online hard to beat Kennys.ie in Galway

#1417 August 04, 2023, 09:28:30 AM Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 09:31:31 AM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: Don Gately on August 04, 2023, 07:59:20 AMOnline hard to beat Kennys.ie in Galway

Yep. Kenny's is always reasonably priced for new books.

Oddly - I got the new Paul McCartney book "McCartney Legacy Vol. 1 1969-1973" on Eason's website for nearly half what Amazon wanted for it on pre-order.

Quote from: Carnage on August 03, 2023, 08:02:29 PMThe only place to buy books here is a local shop (ridiculously expensive, Tesco (shite range) and the GSPCA shop (hit & miss, usually miss). When I'm heading over to Galway I always budget for a splurge in Charlie Byrne's and/or Bell, Book & Candle. I don't think I've ever been into either without coming out with a few unexpected finds.

There's another second hand place caleed Aisling on Abbeygate St. too which appears to be listed as a Christian bookshop but I saw tons of Marvelgraphic novels and other stuff in there. 

I went to both Charlie Byrne's and Bell, Book & Candle when I was in Galway a few weeks back. Came out of both with a few things. Bell, Book & Candle has the bonus of being next door to The Crane and magnificent pints of Guinness.

Quote from: Don Gately on August 04, 2023, 07:59:20 AMThere's another second hand place caleed Aisling on Abbeygate St. too which appears to be listed as a Christian bookshop but I saw tons of Marvelgraphic novels and other stuff in there. 

I went to both Charlie Byrne's and Bell, Book & Candle when I was in Galway a few weeks back. Came out of both with a few things. Bell, Book & Candle has the bonus of being next door to The Crane and magnificent pints of Guinness.

Aye, and you never know who you'd bump into there. Dolores Keane was nice and chatty last time I was in, but that was a while ago now. Plus the barman's the spit of Rory McGrath.

I was in that Aisling place once but it was so pokey and busy I had to get out. The little place down the hill from it is gone now, I forget the name of it. Used to have a great selection for the size of it.

Yeah that Aisling shop has some good selection of comics but they are a bit overpriced. I did get a copy of Batman/Houdini which was cool and not badly priced at €20.
Bell,book and candle is definitely the best out of that lot I think.

Finished Stephen King's "On Writing" - a very good read. The way he writes about his accident is both harrowing and entertaining (bread and butter for King, I guess).

Started in on "It" after trawling second-hand shops and charity spots with no luck - I ended up getting it for my Kindle. Probably for the best- the paperback didn't seem too portable!

I'm reading The Stand at the moment, great craic

Started reading the Lord of the Rings omnibus to my kids (12,10,7) recently.

Fairly challenging book to read aloud given Tolkiens penchant for lists of hobbit surnames etc..but so far so good - enjoying it much more than the last time I read it about 20 years ago.

Possibly the last reading with the 12 year old 😢

Also, a great gateway book for Norwegian black metal  :abbath:  :laugh: (Gorgoroth, Grishnakh, Shagrat etc).

Love that, whatever passes on the love of books and the Death of Tiktok.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Amen to that, fair play to you stearl. I'm so glad my parents emphasised the importance of reading with us, we're all voracious readers in my family as a result, and my 9 year old nephew is the same. Great to see him not plonked in front of the Xbox.