Naked Lunch by Burroughs.

Tis lethal so it is. Cities of the Red Night is deadly too, first part of a trilogy I've been meaning to finish for years.

Quote from: Carnage on February 09, 2022, 01:41:24 PM
Quote from: Born of Fire on June 27, 2021, 12:38:29 AM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 25, 2021, 11:15:39 PM
I finished Madhouse at the End of the Earth the other night. Thoroughly enjoyable stuff.

As it happens I saw a review of this today and it seems like it's something I'd definitely be into so I must pick up a copy. The insanity of the golden age of polar exploration is fascinating stuff.

Nabbed this today for around a fiver (Amazon), looking forward to it.

Only got around to it recently myself. Really enjoyed it. I knew nothing of the expedition prior to this book.  Interesting to see how some of the men never really recovered from the experience whereas Amundsen went on to become a giant of polar exploration. Thanks to the detailed diaries kept by the men on board it's being used as a case study in extreme isolation for possible manned missions to Mars.

Midway through Alfred Lansings 'Endurance' now. An expedition I'm much more familiar with. A far more dire situation to be in than the Belgica expedition but one in which the men fared better thanks to Shackletons leadership.

Restarting 'Midnight in Chernobyl' by Adam Higginbotham. I read half of it a few years ago and never got back to it. 

I picked up Silas Marner by George Eliot and His Last Bow by Arthur Conan Doyle today for the equivalent of around €6. Started into the first couple of pages of Silas Marner and I'm immediately intrigued. Kind of a dark and funny introduction to it.

Yeah, read Silas Marner last year and like all the best books it was nothing like I expected.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

That was on for our Leaving Cert., to this day I haven't read it. What little I did read bored me to tears, but that was a long time ago, might be different now.

Nothing like the leaving cert to suck the enjoyment out of any book

I don't think I read any of the modern novels we had to do in full, for the Leaving or Inter. - Silas Marner, Lord Of The Flies, Typhoon. I answered the questions on books I had read instead. Probably did me no favours but I just couldn't get my head into them.

Same with the plays, enjoyable to watch, torture to read.

And forget poetry. At 15 I could rattle off every Iron Maiden lyric there was, but ask me to learn 4 lines of Tennyson or Yeats? No chance.

You knew at least one Coleridge though!

I remember Silas Marner being a miserable read. Then we did Catcher in the Rye. Talk about chalk and cheese.

Reading a book at 15/16 is a different experience to reading it at 40.