Quote from: Carnage on June 09, 2020, 10:10:27 PM
Quote from: Iron Aiden on January 14, 2019, 01:45:43 PM
Godflesh's "Slavestate" EP heavily samples this 80s techno tune from a guy called Humanoid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK2U5ziV_Z8

Crush My Soul is built around a sample from this Caustic Window (AKA Aphex Twin) tune, it kicks in around the 4:00 mark:

https://youtu.be/L7tdyj8LgoY
Deadly

Quote from: Cernunnos on January 11, 2019, 12:14:55 PM
Quote from: ochoill on January 11, 2019, 12:05:21 PM
Quote from: Pentagrimes on January 11, 2019, 11:51:26 AM
Quote from: ochoill on January 11, 2019, 11:41:46 AM

Metallica were inspired for the cover art for Load directly by Godflesh's "Crush My Soul" video and were accused of stealing artwork from it - they actually just used the same artist who directed the video.

Yep, Andres Seranno - and to make it a a heavy metal hat trick, Fear Factory's "Piss Christ" takes it's name from a Serrano piece
Never knew that, learned something new already!

Same as that! Keep them  coming  :)

they talked a lot about all those things in the mags at the time. used to be fun to buy music mags in those days

The instrumental outro at the end of Left Hand Path is the theme tune for the 1979 horror movie Phantasm. On a slightly different note the intro to Dimmu Borgir's Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen is Magnum's Sacred Hour.

Adrian Gurvitz, he of 80s cheese ballad "Classic" and having contributions to The Bodyguard fame, was frontman of The Gun, who were most famous for their song "Race with the Devil", which he wrote when he was only a teenager.

Good thread, some really interesting facts in here.

My two cents - Zoltan Bathory (5 Finger Death Punch guitarist) is a highly respected Brazilian Jiu Jitsu artist who has won medals at a couple of world championships and was hired by the US Army as an unarmed combat instructor

I got hooked on BJJ a few years ago and I like knowing stuff like this because it shows that it's possible to balance training and being a musician. I got my blue belt around the same time as Dave Mustaine.

Here's one,

Terry Dubrow from the TV show Botched is the younger brother of Kevin Dubrow from Quiet Riot.

Also, Darren White formerly of Anathema is Cilla Black's nephew.

Quote from: Anton Arcane on June 10, 2020, 11:32:45 PM
Here's one,

Terry Dubrow from the TV show Botched is the younger brother of Kevin Dubrow from Quiet Riot.

Also, Darren White formerly of Anathema is Cilla Black's nephew.

:laugh: interesting on both counts. Sad that I'm familiar with Botched!

The original  artwork used for Gates of Ishtar's second album Dawn of Flames  is a blatant rip-off of Exciter's Long Live the Loud. Invasion Records used it without either bands knowledge or permission. As is often the case the former is worth a great deal more than either of the subsequent two reissues.

#69 June 11, 2020, 10:57:20 AM Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 10:59:34 AM by Pentagrimes
Quote from: vinterland on June 10, 2020, 12:16:41 PM
The instrumental outro at the end of Left Hand Path is the theme tune for the 1979 horror movie Phantasm.

I'll go one better as it's one I've never really seen anyone remark on, and shows the ties (or perhaps competition) between the two bands: The track "outro" at the end of Carnage's "Dark Recollections" is a metalised version of "Lauries Theme" from the soundtrack of Halloween 2.

Also, on a similar and more jaw dropping note..Judas Priest's "Breaking The Law", one of the most recognisable opening riffs in metal, is stolen from Donna Summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8H7UJnH6_k

Never in one hundred years would I have guessed Donna Summer gave us the riff to one of the most recognised and covered metal songs of all time. Cheers for that. A friend had told me about the link between Carnage's outro and Helloween 2 years ago but was buried deep in the subconscious. No harm being reminded.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on June 11, 2020, 10:57:20 AM
The instrumental outro at the end of Left Hand Path is the theme tune for the 1979 horror movie Phantasm.

I'll go one better as it's one I've never really seen anyone remark on, and shows the ties (or perhaps competition) between the two bands: The track "outro" at the end of Carnage's "Dark Recollections" is a metalised version of "Lauries Theme" from the soundtrack of Halloween 2.

Also, on a similar and more jaw dropping note..Judas Priest's "Breaking The Law", one of the most recognisable opening riffs in metal, is stolen from Donna Summer:

Quote from: Thorn on April 10, 2020, 01:45:23 PM
All this time and I never knew Kerry King played a few shows with Megadeth early doors, thanx Iron Fist for that little gobsmacker. C'mon , there must be SOMEONE else  right? Right??

Away from Voivod recorded and toured with Men Without Hats (they of "The Safety Dance" fame)  :abbath:

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2015/02/23/metal-without-hats-when-voivod-did-the-safety-dance/

Edit - browsing the thread, I've already posted this. I should assimilate some of the other facts on this thread, expand my horizons :laugh:

Quote from: vinterland on June 11, 2020, 07:23:42 AM
The original  artwork used for Gates of Ishtar's second album Dawn of Flames  is a blatant rip-off of Exciter's Long Live the Loud. Invasion Records used it without either bands knowledge or permission. As is often the case the former is worth a great deal more than either of the subsequent two reissues.

pity GOI are so unknown, well pretty unknown at least

Quote from: vinterland on June 11, 2020, 12:27:11 PM
Never in one hundred years would I have guessed Donna Summer gave us the riff to one of the most recognised and covered metal songs of all time. Cheers for that. A friend had told me about the link between Carnage's outro and Helloween 2 years ago but was buried deep in the subconscious. No harm being reminded.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on June 11, 2020, 10:57:20 AM

donna summer was the most sampled artist of the 80s and 90s. When sampling became a big deal in the mid 80s, it was all the disco vinyl from the 70s that the then young people used to borrow from.

Would the Donna Summer /Judas Priest thing be more of a coincidence than plagiarism? Just like the start of Creeping Death and Metal Storm /Face the Slayer being very similar?