Saw the new hellboy.... fucking grim   ...and not in the Kvlt way either

Quote from: Scáthach on June 23, 2019, 06:35:09 PM
For me, my enjoyment of The Witch isn't even really about plot or actors (though Ralph whatsisname is quite good). It's the sinister creeping atmosphere and overall look/feel. Plus I love a movie that forces you to imagine the awfulness rather than over explain or rely on splatter. Must check out Stan and Ollie, a lot of good words for it on here.

Thought it was class myself, precisely of the creeping atmosphere. The main female role was brilliant. Can't remember her name but she is made for them 'innocence gone wrong' parts. Saw her recently in Thoroughbreds and while the movie wasn't bad, she, again was very good. One of those female actresses that you disregard and then her charms start to enchant you through the screen..even Julian Clary would find it hard not to feel something.

Watched Creed II recently. Had Ivan Drago back in it and a silent appearance from a very mature Brigitte Nielsen. Leave the brain at the door stuff, but you can't help the 10 year old in you making an appearance throughout. I must have watched Rocky 2 fifty times in my buddy's house when I was maybe 10 years old..Stallone, Scharzenegger and Willis will always be the holy trinity.

i went to see the new childs play. i was expecting to hate it but i actually really liked it. fairly funny and the doll is ridiculous!

Saw "in Fabric" which was absolute madness. Loved it.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on July 05, 2019, 10:22:48 AM
Saw "in Fabric" which was absolute madness. Loved it.

I went to see this and couldn't make any sense of it.
Did you get what the whole thing was about?

Err..a haunted dress?I don't really think there was much depth to it beyond that, but it was like ASMR for the eyes though. Great looking film. It was an affectionate pisstake of old Giallo films to me anyway.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on July 08, 2019, 11:27:06 AM
Err..a haunted dress?I don't really think there was much depth to it beyond that, but it was like ASMR for the eyes though. Great looking film. It was an affectionate pisstake of old Giallo films to me anyway.

Ya I got that. I'm not that thick.
What was the story with the people who sold it. Were they witches orpartof some cult or what.
Just seemed like an arty farty pretentious film to me.
Saw midsommar last night actually.
That was quite enjoyable.
Good and trippy.

Don't know, don't care, really just liked the whole "what the fuck" factor of it.

Really couldn't be fucked with "Midsommar", didn't like "Hereditary"  (now that's an arty farty pretentious film in my book) and I've heard this is basically the same idea in a different setting. Seen too many of these "critically" acclaimed horrors now, and they're always absolute bollocks.

I saw Midsommar the other night. Thought it was an overlong load of balls. Way too predictable. There were a few cool scenes but I felt it really ran out of steam quite quickly. Amazing production design though.

While we're on the subject of disappointing horror films, "The Dead Don't Die" isn't much use at all. I like Jarmusch, I like Bill Murray, and I like zombies but the combination of the three is fairly underwhelming.

After the vampyric abortion that was Only Lovers Left Alive, I think I'd give The Dead Don't Die 10 minutes max to impress me.

Inspired by another thread, recently rewatched the 1950s film version of The Importance of Being Earnest, which then put me in a mood for 50s British comedies of a similar ilk, so followed up by rewatching The Ladykillers. Still love both... still have never watched either of the respective remakes in full!

I don't know if it's in all the cinemas around the country but jaws is back in the cinema in Galway this weekend.cant wait to see it on the big screen. One of my favorite films.

Quote from: blessed1 on July 09, 2019, 10:35:23 AM
I don't know if it's in all the cinemas around the country but jaws is back in the cinema in Galway this weekend.cant wait to see it on the big screen. One of my favorite films.
Why are they making a film about a James Bond baddie?

Palás, is it?