We could do with some of those glasses around these days

Quote from: Ollkiller on April 05, 2021, 09:15:11 PM
Quote from: CorkonianHunger on April 05, 2021, 08:45:05 PM
Rewatched Dead Man's Shoes last night. Just as gut punching as it was first time. Considine is amazing in it. It starts out very funny but the reveal scene towards the end is very rough to stomach sometimes. (I do love the trip scene when he takes out the suitcase though)

An amazing film. Considine eats up the screen in it, in fairness all the actors put a great shift in. And such an ending. So many good scenes in it, but the one in the pub when they're playing pool and yer man asks considine what he's looking at and he replies "you you cunt" is the best delivery of a line I think I've ever heard.

He has a real presence that reminds me of Day Lewis who can achieve that level of intensity in some films, dead mans shoes is class

Rewatched Dead Man's Shoes last night. Just as gut punching as it was first time. Considine is amazing in it. It starts out very funny but the reveal scene towards the end is very rough to stomach sometimes. (I do love the trip scene when he takes out the suitcase though)

Yup. Just restating the same fact as everyone else - Paddy Considine is fantastic. He's very good at comedy too.

Went onto Police Story 2. Not as spectacular as the first, but equally as entertaining.

No, it goes more on the comedy than the action and I think it runs a little too long - depending on which cut you watch - the 4Front VHS edition is a good example of a time that Western editing has invigorated a HK action flick. Still enjoyable though. That nerdy lad with the glasses can throw a fair slap.

The main reason for the lack of action and massive stunts In "Police Story 2" is that Chan nearly killed himself the year before making "Armour Of God". Did a stunt - first take, made it perfectly then decided to do it again and fell a great distance headfirst onto a rock. Ended up with a hole in his skull and a piece of bone in his brain. It's in the credit out takes of "Armour Of God".

Quote from: StoutAndAle on April 08, 2021, 09:52:35 AM
The main reason for the lack of action and massive stunts In "Police Story 2" is that Chan nearly killed himself the year before making "Armour Of God". Did a stunt - first take, made it perfectly then decided to do it again and fell a great distance headfirst onto a rock. Ended up with a hole in his skull and a piece of bone in his brain. It's in the credit out takes of "Armour Of God".

I heard that, which makes sense. Even some of the things in PS2 are wild. The poor woman who plays his missus got a bad one at the end and had to be replaced.

Quote from: CorkonianHunger on April 08, 2021, 01:14:57 PM
I heard that, which makes sense. Even some of the things in PS2 are wild. The poor woman who plays his missus got a bad one at the end and had to be replaced.

I need to revisit those films again. Just looked and Eureka Films have a tasty looking BluRay reissue of them - I already have them on DVD though.

Watched "Un Prophète" last night. I had wanted to see it for a while but never got around to it. Currently on Mubi. Fuck, it's good - visceral, violent (I winced a few times) - Tahar Rahim is excellent. I must check out some more of Jacques Audiard's films "The Beat My Skipped" and "Read My Lips" for sure. "Dheepan" is on Mubi currently as well.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on April 08, 2021, 03:52:42 PM
Watched "Un Prophète" last night. I had wanted to see it for a while but never got around to it. Currently on Mubi. Fuck, it's good - visceral, violent (I winced a few times) - Tahar Rahim is excellent. I must check out some more of Jacques Audiard's films "The Beat My Skipped" and "Read My Lips" for sure. "Dheepan" is on Mubi currently as well.

Cheers for the Mubi recommendations, need to get on it more.

No worries. "Un Prophète" is there until tomorrow I think. Audiard's "Dheepan" is there for another week or so.

Been on a Terry Gilliam buzz lately. I watched Tideland last night. A very dark fantasy movie with dark humour also. Worth the watch if a fan. I could understand why some might dislike it due to the subject matter. I loved it anyway

#1733 April 12, 2021, 12:00:12 PM Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 12:18:53 PM by StoutAndAle
Bondathon continues with "The Spy Who Loved Me"... Possibly my least favourite Bond film so far - Lotus car-submarine and the final major action set-piece not withstanding.

Every second line is a pun or double entendre - most of them sleazy/smarmy and criminally - not funny. Barbara Bach can't act and she gets worse as the movie goes on.

Also watched "The Mauritanian" - fairly by the numbers legal drama based around the rendition and interrogation (see: torture) of an inmate in Guantanamo Bay. Kevin MacDonald's direction and Tahar Rahim's performance push this over the top and make it worth a watch.

By happenstance, I watched two films starring Tahar Rahim in the past week and he's been locked up under brutal conditions in both.

Quote from: Necro Red on April 09, 2021, 11:14:48 AM
Been on a Terry Gilliam buzz lately. I watched Tideland last night. A very dark fantasy movie with dark humour also. Worth the watch if a fan. I could understand why some might dislike it due to the subject matter. I loved it anyway

Will stick it on the list. Might be the only Gilliam I haven't seen actually.

Watched Nimic over the weekend, a ten minute short from Yorgos Lanthimos starring Matt Dillon. Might be on Mubi, as their logo came up at the beginning. Also watched The Fountain for the first time since first seeing it almost 15 years ago. We were nicely toasted, so just floated away into it. Serious Jodorowsky buzz off it, could easily be one of his comics. It's a pity Mother just, well, it just didn't really work. Or else I was in totally the wrong mood at the cinema. Might watch again soon.

Oh, and Godzill versus Kong yesterday too, with the little lad. Personally, were it not for Elza Gonzalez and himself beside me giving it absolute socks with the support for Godzilla, I wouldn't have watched it til the end. Good effects though. Things have progressed somewhat since Power Rangers, even if only visually.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on February 01, 2021, 04:06:33 PM
Just spotted that "Wake In Fright" - 1971 is up on MUBI now. To my mind one of the greatest films ever made - if you have the stomach for it (
Spoiler
there's a prolonged, not simulated and rather dark kangaroo hunt midway through the film
[close]
which may upset certain people).

Only got around to watching this last night even though it was on top of my list for ages. No idea why I put it off, it could be a cult masterpiece. Amazing watch.

Quote from: CorkonianHunger on April 13, 2021, 08:14:08 PM
Only got around to watching this last night even though it was on top of my list for ages. No idea why I put it off, it could be a cult masterpiece. Amazing watch.

There have not been many films that I watched in my adult life which have stopped me in my tracks. "Wake In Fright" is one.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on April 12, 2021, 01:55:40 PM
Quote from: Necro Red on April 09, 2021, 11:14:48 AM

Will stick it on the list. Might be the only Gilliam I haven't seen actually.

Watched Nimic over the weekend, a ten minute short from Yorgos Lanthimos starring Matt Dillon. Might be on Mubi, as their logo came up at the beginning. Also watched The Fountain for the first time since first seeing it almost 15 years ago. We were nicely toasted, so just floated away into it. Serious Jodorowsky buzz off it, could easily be one of his comics. It's a pity Mother just, well, it just didn't really work. Or else I was in totally the wrong mood at the cinema. Might watch again soon.
I'd say you'll enjoy Tideland if you like Gilliam. As for Mother, I quite enjoyed it, although I found The Fountain much better. 100% Jodorowsky buzz off it. I bought his boxset off Arrow recently which is brilliant. I mean, heavy going movies, but very rewarding.

Watched the new Alex Winter documentary on Zappa last night.

I had high hopes for this seeing as Winter was apparently given unrestricted access to the FZ archives and his family. This isn't on display much in the film though. His wife Gail is the only one to appear in new interview footage - the rest of the family is strangely absent - probably because Ahmet and Diva have a choke-hold on FZ Enterprises since their mother died - warring with the other two kids Dweezil and Moon who have less of a share in the whole thing.

There are a few bits and pieces of unseen footage (including some early Zappa childhood Super8 film reels) but overall a lot of is well-trodden ground for any Frank Zappa fan with more than a passing interest. The remaining Mothers Of Invention give the same talking head interviews that they've given several times before.

"Frank could be... difficult, man" etc. etc. etc.

The "Apostrophe/Overnite Sensation" Classic Albums doc is better.