Film

Ollkiller · 1805 · 78408

Giggles

• View Profile
Reply #1740 on: April 14, 2021, 12:31:16 PM
I love Zappa, must give them docs a watch. I think I've only  seen Baby Snakes, and that was about 10 years ago.

Shite craic about his siblings fighting over their da's stuff. It's sad how unbelievably common that kind of shit is too, worldwide.

open face surgery

• View Profile
Reply #1741 on: April 14, 2021, 01:21:56 PM
And certainly not restricted to the celebrity world. It's sad.

I really enjoyed the Zappa doc so will check out the classic albums ep.

Reply #1742 on: April 14, 2021, 02:01:25 PM
overall a lot of is well-trodden ground for any Frank Zappa fan with more than a passing interest. The remaining Mothers Of Invention give the same talking head interviews that they've given several times before.

"Frank could be... difficult, man" etc. etc. etc.

The "Apostrophe/Overnite Sensation" Classic Albums doc is better.

Felt the same way watching it. The Dub Room Special is worth a watch, I used to have it on DVD and it got many repeat viewings. Must check out that Classic Albums though, not seen that.

Blackout

• View Profile
Reply #1743 on: April 14, 2021, 09:04:15 PM
I heard that, which makes sense. Even some of the things in PS2 are wild. The poor woman who plays his missus got a bad one at the end and had to be replaced.
Watched "Un Prophète" last night.

Incredible movie. I'm convinced that if it didn't come out during the recession it would've been a huge hit.

Caomhaoin

• View Profile
Reply #1744 on: April 15, 2021, 04:04:14 AM
Is that the one with yer man in the jail with the Corsican mafia?

Carnage

• View Profile
Reply #1745 on: April 15, 2021, 05:20:00 AM
Yeah. Saw it when it came out, maybe I'm missing something but I thought it was shite.

StoutAndAle

• View Profile
Reply #1746 on: April 16, 2021, 10:10:22 AM
Amazon put "Sound Of Metal" on Prime Video this week - watched it last night. Very enjoyable and a very interesting approach to film-making.

Riz Ahmed is excellent in the lead as a drummer who blows out his hearing. Paul Raci who plays the leader of a Narcotics Anonymous group for deaf people is fucking incredible in it. I don't know if I've ever seen this guy in anything before, he's definitely in his '60s, but he must be some sort of character actor. He reminded me of Dio for some reason too.

My only (inconsequential) gripe - the band that Riz Ahmed is in; I wouldn't say that they're metal. More post punk or noise rock.

CorkonianHunger

• View Profile
    • Fomorian Hate Records
Reply #1747 on: April 16, 2021, 01:01:40 PM
My only (inconsequential) gripe - the band that Riz Ahmed is in; I wouldn't say that they're metal. More post punk or noise rock.

Haven't seen it yet but would have assumed the 'metal' in the title reffered to cymbals?

StoutAndAle

• View Profile
Reply #1748 on: April 19, 2021, 11:12:43 AM
Haven't seen it yet but would have assumed the 'metal' in the title reffered to cymbals?

Maybe - I dunno. I assumed they were supposed to be metal band because there's Decibel articles and stuff about them in their tour bus. 

Necro Red

• View Profile
Reply #1749 on: April 19, 2021, 11:49:34 AM
Amazon put "Sound Of Metal" on Prime Video this week - watched it last night. Very enjoyable and a very interesting approach to film-making.

Riz Ahmed is excellent in the lead as a drummer who blows out his hearing. Paul Raci who plays the leader of a Narcotics Anonymous group for deaf people is fucking incredible in it. I don't know if I've ever seen this guy in anything before, he's definitely in his '60s, but he must be some sort of character actor. He reminded me of Dio for some reason too.

watched it with the missus at the weekend. I found it very good and a tad depressing. The performances were excellent i thought

Emphyrio

• View Profile
Reply #1750 on: April 23, 2021, 01:03:36 PM
Nobody- great laugh out of this one. Like a light-hearted John Wick.

CorkonianHunger

• View Profile
    • Fomorian Hate Records
Reply #1751 on: April 23, 2021, 02:56:19 PM
Naked - good but depressing. I like Mike Leigh a lot.

Mad Max - still good, but not as post-apoc as the next one.

Mad Max 2/Road Warrior - still excellent.

Carnage

• View Profile
Reply #1752 on: April 23, 2021, 03:39:21 PM
Three savage fillums there. I see the next Mad Max film is a Furiosa origin story, Anya Taylor Joy playing her.

Ollkiller

• View Profile
Reply #1753 on: April 23, 2021, 04:50:20 PM
Three savage fillums there. I see the next Mad Max film is a Furiosa origin story, Anya Taylor Joy playing her.

Brilliant news. I read an article before where Miller has 3 more mad max films he wants to do. And let him at it. Fury Road gets regular watches. Such a class film. 

Carnage

• View Profile
Reply #1754 on: April 23, 2021, 05:07:42 PM
It's big, stupid and brilliant, an instant favourite for me. I picked up the 'Black & Chrome' edition, utterly pointless and visually inferior but apparently it's the way he wanted to release it originally.