L.A. Confidential. Always absolutely loved this film but I watched it the other night and really paid attention to every detail and it was like I had never seen it before. Just class. Every actor/actress knocking it out of the park, the setting, the scenes, Kim fookin Bassinger..deadliness.

Watched both Deadpool movies last night. Not my usual fortè but enjoyed them. Found the second one funnier.

Watched Scarface recently with my better half. She had never seen it before. She made me turn it off just over half way through.
I watched the rest the following day myself. Jaysus, it hasn't aged well at all. It's actually crap...  :laugh:

Yeah, I've always thought it was shit, and Pacino's performance in particular. Spectacularly ugly film, too (which I know is kind of the point, but still).

Quote from: Pedrito on January 21, 2021, 09:54:40 PM
L.A. Confidential. Always absolutely loved this film but I watched it the other night and really paid attention to every detail and it was like I had never seen it before. Just class. Every actor/actress knocking it out of the park, the setting, the scenes, Kim fookin Bassinger..deadliness.

One of the best alright, have watched it countless times.

Quote from: Emphyrio on January 21, 2021, 11:04:37 PM
Ah lads.
Rub the mist off those nostalgia specs lawd...

I only saw Scarface for the first time about 10 years, and didn't see what all the hype was about. I thought it was pretty decent, but nothing I'd go rushing back to watch again

It did want me play GTA Vice City again though

I'll try rope herself into watching it over the weekend and report back. The only complaint I may have is that it's a bit long.

I think it has melded into GTA Vice City over the years, into some sort perfect union of 80s debauchery and outlandishness. I'm not sure if I want to spoil that.

Quote from: Trev on January 21, 2021, 11:37:36 PM
I only saw Scarface for the first time about 10 years, and didn't see what all the hype was about. I thought it was pretty decent, but nothing I'd go rushing back to watch again

It did want me play GTA Vice City again though

Snap.

Quote from: Emphyrio on January 21, 2021, 11:38:01 PM
I'll try rope herself into watching it over the weekend and report back. The only complaint I may have is that it's a bit long.

I think it has melded into GTA Vice City over the years, into some sort perfect union of 80s debauchery and outlandishness. I'm not sure if I want to spoil that.
My advice is, don't watch it again. Keep the memories of it intact....

Last few I watched dump.

Dragged Across Concrete
Thunder Road
This Sporting Life
Punch Drunk Love
Buffalo 66
Angel Dust
Thief

Quote from: CorkonianHunger on January 22, 2021, 12:10:52 AM
Last few I watched dump.

Thunder Road

Thief

What did you make of "Thunder Road"? I thought it was pretty good - nearly everyone else that I know disliked it.

"Thief" is a great movie. It has that 1970s Hollywood New Wave looseness but the "hey maaaaan" vibes are gone.

Speaking of which - watched Robert Altman's "The Long Goodbye" last night. Hadn't seen it in a long time. Elliott Gould was the coolest bastard around in the 70s.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on January 22, 2021, 09:22:09 AM
What did you make of "Thunder Road"?

My brother reccomended it as it was a short film before I believe, but I threw it on cause I am a Springsteen fan ha, the song didn't even show up.
I thought had great humour and timing, but also great characters. Liked it a lot.

Thief is just a cool film. The soundtrack is amazing, a good turn into the 80s film.

Quote from: CorkonianHunger on January 22, 2021, 12:31:49 PM

My brother reccomended it as it was a short film before I believe, but I threw it on cause I am a Springsteen fan ha, the song didn't even show up.
I thought had great humour and timing, but also great characters. Liked it a lot.

Thief is just a cool film. The soundtrack is amazing, a good turn into the 80s film.

The song "Thunder Road" appears in the short. Cummings couldn't afford to license it for the full length film that he built around it - which I find odd, he managed to get the cash for one of The Boss' biggest hits for a self-funded short but not for a feature film. Perhaps there's different costs for films that could be seen by a wider audience, I don't know. 

Sorry, I brain-jammed halfway through my comment on "Thief" but you finished the thought for me. It has all the looseness of 70s Hollywood but it definitely has a sharpened 1980s edge. The soundtrack by Tangerine Dream is great too. I would have loved to see a film based on Willie Nelson's character.