Quote from: StoutAndAle on November 27, 2020, 11:09:44 AM
Quote from: open face surgery on November 26, 2020, 08:54:31 PM
Network.

Never saw it before outside the famous scene but a fantastic movie.

"Network" is brilliant. I love Ned Beatty's "You have meddled with the primal forces of nature" monologue.

Have you seen Robert Altman's "Nashville"? Same sort of rambling 1970s style.

I found there was a weird sorta buzz of it potentially going to go off the wall at times which I found oddly fascinating. Can't really describe it.

I haven't. Will give it a lash.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on November 27, 2020, 01:29:59 PM
I've heard a few examples of actors being genuinely fucked while filming like Sheen in Apocalypse Now but the best 'suffering for his art' story was that James McEvoy. He was being interviewed with Irvine Welsh after 'Filth' was released.

'You looked rough, really hungover looking in each scene'

'Ya I drank a half bottle of whisky every evening during filming'

Fair play :)

Giving Daniel a run for his money.

Astronaut.

Richard Dreyfuss is very good in this movie.

After that YouTube video on it, was hankering for Planes, Trains, and Automobiles so stuck that on tonight. Still great! Also started the epic full version of Il Gattopardo today which we'll finish tomorrow. The cinematography is astounding; every frame looks like an oil painting.

Re-watched "Being John Malkovich" last night.

First time seeing this film since it was released. I didn't think much at all of it the first time around. I had blanked on how funny the opening 30 minutes was. It dipped significantly in the second half.

Overall, slightly better than I remembered. Still not convinced that it's worthy of all the praise heaped on it though.

Watched krampus last night. Really enjoyed it.

Star Trek 4- The Voyage Home

Maybe the only Star Trek I can enjoy as I am not that much of a sci fi fan, or trekkie for that matter.

Surely you can enjoy The Wrath of Khan? I mean, what humanoid couldn't!?

IV is enjoyable, but it was definitely audience bait for non trekkies, and I'm not saying that in a disparaging way necessarily. But, yeah, Star Trek II, without doubt I think, struck the perfect balance between being a great stand-alone movie and also full of everything hardcore trekkies would need to keep them happy.

The Wrath Of Khan is the best, this is objectively true. I never took to IV, like all time travel Trek, it's ultimately cringeworthy.

I need to watch 'Wrath of Kahn' again. I remember seeing it when I was very young though,  never revisted it.

Interesting move with WB and HBO Max showing all the new movies simultaneously for 2021. Will it be the death knell for the cinema experience as we know it? Will the cinema be the new physical music?

Quote from: astfgyl on December 03, 2020, 09:33:43 PM
Interesting move with WB and HBO Max showing all the new movies simultaneously for 2021. Will it be the death knell for the cinema experience as we know it? Will the cinema be the new physical music?

I would say no. People like going to the cinema. When piracy came in they said it would die but it's as strong as ever.

Yeah, admissions will obviously be way down for 2020, but there'll definitely be a peak once it's allowed again, and prior to that things were going pretty well:
https://www.obs.coe.int/en/web/observatoire/home/-/asset_publisher/9iKCxBYgiO6S/content/eu-cinema-attendance-up-by-4-8-in-2019-showing-best-result-since-2004

Leaning towards no myself. I still like going out and making the deal out of going to the cinema, although I was never an every week chap by any stretch. So yeah I guess I agree that it won't just die quietly. Well hopefully not.

Cordelia
Sweetness in the Belly

Cordelia is good.

Quote from: astfgyl on December 03, 2020, 09:33:43 PM

I used to go to the cinema 2 to 4 times a week from my mid-teens to mid-20s but then a few things happened that made me slowly but surely pull back til I (pre-Covid) might only go once or twice a month at most.

Good movies seem (that make it to the multiplex) to be in short supply. Perhaps I'm being too nostalgic but, to me at least, the 1990s was a golden age for film. You got to see blockbusters and indie films - sometimes the latter became the former.

Mobile phones - Christ, put it away for 2 hours.

People talking - Not "Who's he again?" or "Do you want a Cornetto when I'm coming back from the jacks?" but full-blown conversations - people seem to think that the beats in between dialogue were put there by the director to allow them to have a chat. The closest I've come to a fist-fight in a very long time was after I asked a fella to be quiet in a screening of "Phantom Thread". Yeah, soak that in for comedy value.

The cinema is now a place for people to sluice buckets of fake cheese and bin liner bags of nachos into themselves.

Or maybe I'm just a moany cunt and going to the pictures is still wonderful.