Was in Co Waterford the other day and came across a place called Ballysaggartmore Towers, which I'd never heard of at all but was rather cool and it got me wondering about what other hidden gems might be about the country.

Think there was a similar thread on the old forum.

Anyhow, fire away with any places you know of that don't require an admission fee

My uncle was a history teacher and used to keep a copy of this in his glovebox for when he travelled around the country. Marking off the sites he'd visit and the date. My Dad bought a copy and did the same. Every family holiday it'd come with us and we'd be off to find some castle, dolmen or standing stone somewhere.

Old book. First published in 1970, but I still find it handy. Well worth tracking down an old copy if you can. Though there's probably more contemporary versions out there like The Old Stones. But only really covers megalithic sites and its majority covers britain.

I've been going to specific places every second weekend or so in the south eastern region for the past while and still find the book of use. Last weekend we were in Carlow and visited the Brownshill Dolmen and one of the Ardristan Standing stones.

Quote from: astfgyl on February 08, 2023, 03:09:55 PMWas in Co Waterford the other day and came across a place called Ballysaggartmore Towers, which I'd never heard of at all but was rather cool...
The Towers is a great spot. Can't understand why it's not been used in movies and such.
Or maybe it has and I just haven't seen or even realised.   :P

Handy place to hit with small kids as the walk around is quite short.
And then into Lismore for a gander at the castle. Pity there isn't public access into that, though.
St. Carthage's Cathedral in the town is worth checking out too.

Quote from: Thanatos on February 08, 2023, 03:53:43 PM
My uncle was a history teacher and used to keep a copy of this in his glovebox for when he travelled around the country. Marking off the sites he'd visit and the date. My Dad bought a copy and did the same. Every family holiday it'd come with us and we'd be off to find some castle, dolmen or standing stone somewhere.

Old book. First published in 1970, but I still find it handy. Well worth tracking down an old copy if you can. Though there's probably more contemporary versions out there like The Old Stones. But only really covers megalithic sites and its majority covers britain.

I've been going to specific places every second weekend or so in the south eastern region for the past while and still find the book of use. Last weekend we were in Carlow and visited the Brownshill Dolmen and one of the Ardristan Standing stones.

That's a great idea must go see if similar can be got handy

Quote from: jobrok1 on February 08, 2023, 04:59:33 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on February 08, 2023, 03:09:55 PMWas in Co Waterford the other day and came across a place called Ballysaggartmore Towers, which I'd never heard of at all but was rather cool...
The Towers is a great spot. Can't understand why it's not been used in movies and such.

And then into Lismore for a gander at the castle. Pity there isn't public access into that, though.

Went into Lismore the other day but the castle was closed. Drove past the cathedral without going in because I knew nothing about it, pity.

Actually had two small fellas with me at the towers it's a very handy walk indeed. The one with the waterfall running out under it is like something straight out of a film now you mention it I'm also surprised if it hasn't cropped up somewhere

Flagmount in East Clare is unreal. There's a sandy lake and forest where you can camp as wel and just that whole area is lovely.

Quote from: astfgyl on February 08, 2023, 05:11:30 PM

Went into Lismore the other day but the castle was closed. Drove past the cathedral without going in because I knew nothing about it, pity.

Actually had two small fellas with me at the towers it's a very handy walk indeed. The one with the waterfall running out under it is like something straight out of a film now you mention it I'm also surprised if it hasn't cropped up somewhere
Yeah it's a right spot.  I trawled through a few maps and hiking apps and the like over the past few years and flagged a rake of places on my maps so I just pick through them as empty weekends arise now.  I'll post a few later.

Quote from: blessed1 on February 08, 2023, 05:18:53 PMFlagmount in East Clare is unreal. There's a sandy lake and forest where you can camp as wel and just that whole area is lovely.

As many times as been to Clare I've never been to Flagmount at all. Might go this weekend and suss it out for camping

Quote from: ochoill on February 08, 2023, 05:47:00 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on February 08, 2023, 05:11:30 PM

Yeah it's a right spot.  I trawled through a few maps and hiking apps and the like over the past few years and flagged a rake of places on my maps so I just pick through them as empty weekends arise now.  I'll post a few later.

Good man. I know I could have just asked you as well but I instantly forget everything I'm told so this should work better

The Boyne Valley visitor centre is great if you get the weather.

That book is a great idea, going to have to pick up a copy or something similar

I used to just look for any of the brown heritage signs and follow them, but a lot are so badly laid out you'd end up completely lost down some back country road

Anyway, spent a bit of the lockdown years going around the West. Downpatrick Head, Aasleagh Falls, Carrowmore were all good to see. Plenty of great hiking trails around, Annagh Bay and Erris Head are the first two to come to mind, and ruins of old abbeys and castles seemed to be dotted everywhere

#11 February 09, 2023, 08:03:02 AM Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 08:04:51 AM by jobrok1
Quote from: astfgyl on February 08, 2023, 05:11:30 PMWent into Lismore the other day but the castle was closed.

The castle is still a residence and private, so not open usually to the public, only on the odd occasion.
Was down there for a local festival a while back when part of the gardens were open. Found our way into the courtyard without realising it was off limits but got moved on fairly lively.
It's like something out of a fucking Disney fairytale...

https://youtu.be/u0-bg7rNQCs