I was buying alcohol in NI a couple of times. Have a feeling the prices were cheaper in regular big stores, supermarkets than in off licenses.
What are your experiences, advice, tips....?

I don't know about off licenses in Northern Ireland but if you're close to the border at all then there's massive savings to be made on things like spirits, slabs of beer etc. if you go to Tesco and have a Clubcard versus what you'll spend in the Republic. And not just limited to the basic stuff.*

*This info is based on the last time that my brother was up that way - circa 2021 - and bought a rake of booze for nearly half what it would cost here in Cork. Filled the boot of his car. 

Quote from: StoutAndAle on February 02, 2023, 03:00:54 PMI don't know about off licenses in Northern Ireland but if you're close to the border at all then there's massive savings to be made on things like spirits, slabs of beer etc. if you go to Tesco and have a Clubcard versus what you'll spend in the Republic. And not just limited to the basic stuff.*

*This info is based on the last time that my brother was up that way - circa 2021 - and bought a rake of booze for nearly half what it would cost here in Cork. Filled the boot of his car. 

I'm in Drogheda, so, it is quite close to the border. I haven't been up north since 2021. myself. The tip regarding Tesco and a club card is a good one!! Think I will try to do that in the near future.

Seeing as you are in Drogheda, Newry is your best bet.
Tesco and Sainsburys give good deals, Tesco being slightly better.
As regards the Tesco club card. To register for one you'll need a NI address (UK postcode) to get posted to.
If that's not possible, you can be cheeky and ask a shopper at the tills if you can use their clubcard for your transaction. Most people duly oblige, as they get free clubcard points helping you.
Some of the cashiers can be a bit iffy with this, but just be cheeky yet courteous if they are.
Hope this helps lad....

I'm not entirely sure how my brother got a Tesco UK Clubcard - I think that it was possibly through the app and a VPN.

Quote from: warhead on February 02, 2023, 04:39:46 PM
Quote from: StoutAndAle on February 02, 2023, 03:00:54 PMI don't know about off licenses in Northern Ireland but if you're close to the border at all then there's massive savings to be made on things like spirits, slabs of beer etc. if you go to Tesco and have a Clubcard versus what you'll spend in the Republic. And not just limited to the basic stuff.*

I'm in Drogheda, so, it is quite close to the border. I haven't been up north since 2021. myself. The tip regarding Tesco and a club card is a good one!! Think I will try to do that in the near future.

First & Last in Jonesborough is great. Only a 40 min drive from Drogheda and they also take Euro.

Can you still get the 2 litre flagons of cider up there? The fuckin 1 litre shit down here is more like an insult

Quote from: Caomhaoin on February 02, 2023, 05:27:16 PMSeeing as you are in Drogheda, Newry is your best bet.
Tesco and Sainsburys give good deals, Tesco being slightly better.
As regards the Tesco club card. To register for one you'll need a NI address (UK postcode) to get posted to.
If that's not possible, you can be cheeky and ask a shopper at the tills if you can use their clubcard for your transaction. Most people duly oblige, as they get free clubcard points helping you.
Some of the cashiers can be a bit iffy with this, but just be cheeky yet courteous if they are.
Hope this helps lad....

Muchas gracias for this  :) Seems like my impression the alcohol is cheaper in supermarkets than off licenses got confirmed. I'll find a way to sort out a Tesco clubcard to use across the border.

Quote from: mickO))) on February 03, 2023, 12:41:40 PM

First & Last in Jonesborough is great. Only a 40 min drive from Drogheda and they also take Euro.

Thanks, doing a 40 mins drive in order to get a proper and cheap watering is nothing  :)  I might have something going on in a couple of months, and a lot of alcohol will be needed. It is a disgrace you can practically not find a 500ml can of beer for less than 2E in ROI anymore. Oh, where are the good days when you could get a slab of Guinness for 25E in Tescos over here....

Quote from: mickO))) on February 03, 2023, 12:41:40 PM

Now, this was a suggestion of the century!! The prices in First & Last were so much cheaper than in ROI, it wasn't even funny.
I'd be too ashamed to even list all the stuff I've bought.

Quote from: astfgyl on February 03, 2023, 04:23:18 PMCan you still get the 2 litre flagons of cider up there? The fuckin 1 litre shit down here is more like an insult

Yeah, I've seen 2 litre flagons up North yesterday.

Can you get Stella Artois Cidre up yonder? Gutted it's gone off the market down here for a while now. Cronins Cider is a good substitute though thankfully  :)

Quote from: warhead on April 17, 2023, 08:09:46 AM
Quote from: astfgyl on February 03, 2023, 04:23:18 PMCan you still get the 2 litre flagons of cider up there? The fuckin 1 litre shit down here is more like an insult

Ah lucky I must make the trip up one of the days and try grab some white lightning

Is there much savings to be had?? Not been up in years to Newry, are items still duel priced up there. Can't be bothered getting a shit load of pounds.

Quote from: astfgyl on April 17, 2023, 06:10:37 PM
Quote from: warhead on April 17, 2023, 08:09:46 AM

Ah lucky I must make the trip up one of the days and try grab some white lightning

Can't recall the maker, but I've seen it in Tesco, if that helps.
Snare - I can't remember seeing Stella Cidre, but wasn't really looking for it, to be honest.