It's Rolling Stone, of course it's bullshit and out of touch.

I've never read Rolling Stone but I can't imagine they cover much metal beyond the dinosaurs?

Only the mainstreamest of unit-shifters

Ah they'd cover your Slayer's Metallica's and so forth.

I don't think the Metal Rags will be any different, I'm sure they're all finding a way to state that this is their best record since Justice.

They usually only cover the most mainstream stuff but occasionally they have a surprise, they reviewed Primordial a few years ago.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/where-greater-men-have-fallen-121345/amp/

Going on a bit of a deep dive they seemingly famously gave South of Heaven a scathing 1/5 review back in the day........

https://www.reddit.com/r/Slayer/comments/p5so96/rolling_stones_incoherent_original_review_of/

Haha what a review. Must listen to South, haven't done in some time

Listened to it at the weekend, still their best by miles.

#278 April 05, 2023, 04:41:10 PM Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 05:41:56 PM by Mooncat
Speaking of shit magazine reviews, I remember FHM (I know, I know...) saying in their review that St Anger was, "Full of thrashing riffs, Kirk's winding solos, and the usual James' cowboys round the campfire moments." They gave it 4/5. Talk about highlighting yourself as having not bothered to listen to it at all and trying to shit out a generic review and safe score to fool your editor...

I actually convinced myself it was good for a couple of weeks. Believe I acquired the skill from Phantom Menace. Teenage coping mechanisms...

I'd only started listening to Metallica a year before St Anger came out. The anticipation of St. Anger as a teen was unreal, I was so fucking excited to hear that they were 'going back to their roots', and I was so fucking disappointed when I heard the album.
A couple of weeks later I saw my first ever live footage of them. They were playing Four Horsemen from around maybe '99 or so, and I was heartbroken that James's voice didn't sound like it did on Kill em All, as their RDS date was only a few weeks ago.

Still, class gig though.

Didn't Chuck Billy from Testament bring his St. Anger cd back to the record store and demand a refund?  :laugh:

Quote from: Giggles on April 05, 2023, 05:33:30 PMI'd only started listening to Metallica a year before St Anger came out. The anticipation of St. Anger as a teen was unreal, I was so fucking excited to hear that they were 'going back to their roots', and I was so fucking disappointed when I heard the album.
A couple of weeks later I saw my first ever live footage of them. They were playing Four Horsemen from around maybe '99 or so, and I was heartbroken that James's voice didn't sound like it did on Kill em All, as their RDS date was only a few weeks ago.

Still, class gig though.

Didn't Chuck Billy from Testament bring his St. Anger cd back to the record store and demand a refund?  :laugh:

Was that RDS show the one with Linkin Park where they got booed relentlessly? With The Darkness opening I think!? That was a great show. As was the Slipknot one the year after. Never been into Slipknot but their performance at that gig was unreal. Just nine people on stage giving it stacks, in the days before they had big stage shows, they were already enough of a spectacle just by themselves!

Quote from: ldj on April 05, 2023, 09:07:34 AMThey usually only cover the most mainstream stuff but occasionally they have a surprise, they reviewed Primordial a few years ago.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/where-greater-men-have-fallen-121345/amp/

Reviewed is giving them too much credit - a mere 85 words! I kept scrolling down through the ads thinking it has to continue somewhere!!   

And poor Mick called a Dub - no greater insult for a Cork man! :laugh:

Fair play Chuck Billy if true!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Quote from: Mooncat on April 05, 2023, 04:41:10 PMSpeaking of shit magazine reviews, I remember FHM (I know, I know...) saying in their review that St Anger was, "Full of thrashing riffs, Kirk's winding solos, and the usual James' cowboys round the campfire moments." They gave it 4/5. Talk about highlighting yourself as having not bothered to listen to it at all and trying to shit out a generic review and safe score to fool your editor...

I actually convinced myself it was good for a couple of weeks. Believe I acquired the skill from Phantom Menace. Teenage coping mechanisms...

I was the exact same. I defended it with youthfull naivety

Right, how many of the lads here are actually going to chance the album when it's out and what does that say about that person overall?

I'll surely chance it once tbf