Quote from: Carnage on May 30, 2024, 12:11:20 AMInfernal Love is class alright, though it took a long time for me to come around to it, just within the last 10 years I reckon. I splashed out a few years ago and got the Japanese version through Discogs, it cuts out the David Holmes stuff and runs like a standard rock album. Far superior IMO.

Still wouldn't be in my top 3 Therapy? albums though.

Ah lad which 3 are better? Also I doubt I'd like it as much without the superfluous David Holmes shit I reckon it adds a bit of a personality to the thing as a whole even though the pieces are tbh meaningless

Nurse is untouchable but Babyteeth comes close. Infernal Love next. Then Troublegum. Then who cares.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on May 30, 2024, 12:37:54 AMNurse is untouchable but Babyteeth comes close. Infernal Love next. Then Troublegum. Then who cares.

We do

Edit: no sorry I misunderstood you're right with the sentiment just not the order but the same few albums

Quote from: astfgyl on May 30, 2024, 12:16:22 AM
Quote from: Carnage on May 30, 2024, 12:11:20 AMInfernal Love is class alright, though it took a long time for me to come around to it, just within the last 10 years I reckon. I splashed out a few years ago and got the Japanese version through Discogs, it cuts out the David Holmes stuff and runs like a standard rock album. Far superior IMO.

Still wouldn't be in my top 3 Therapy? albums though.

Ah lad which 3 are better? Also I doubt I'd like it as much without the superfluous David Holmes shit I reckon it adds a bit of a personality to the thing as a whole even though the pieces are tbh meaningless

I just find them annoying TBH, I just want to hear the songs.

I'd put Pleasure Death (an EP I know but anyway), Nurse, Troublegum, High Anxiety and Cleave above it myself, they'd be my favourites.

A lot of people don't rate Cleave but I thought it was mighty, their best & best sounding album for a long time. They blew the roof off the place on that tour too - I saw them in the Róisín in Galway, a nice small room for it.

Cleave is a banger. Saw them in Hamburg with Ondt Blod supporting on that tour and it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

Don't know if this is controversial or not, but never liked Therapy.  Always thought they were overrated. 

The Japanese version of Infernal Love pisses all over the regular version.
The Holmes stuff between tracks really annoyed me after a while.
Not as much of a gripe, but I never really liked stories and utterly dislike the use of the saxaphone in the song.

For some reason Therapy? just had a knack for releasing gimmicky shite songs as lead singles when there were obviously so many better on the albums.

Babyteeth is my fav record ever, full stop. The visceral rage, dancy rhythms, the use of samples, just shit cool. Nothing else sounds like it...

Quote from: Putrefaction on May 30, 2024, 11:44:31 AMBabyteeth is my fav record ever, full stop. The visceral rage, dancy rhythms, the use of samples, just shit cool. Nothing else sounds like it...

It is a beaut.

Quote from: jobrok1 on May 30, 2024, 10:56:06 AMThe Japanese version of Infernal Love pisses all over the regular version.
The Holmes stuff between tracks really annoyed me after a while.
Not as much of a gripe, but I never really liked stories and utterly dislike the use of the saxaphone in the song.

For some reason Therapy? just had a knack for releasing gimmicky shite songs as lead singles when there were obviously so many better on the albums.

Agreed. The deep cuts on the album - Moment of Clarity, Jude the Obscene, Bad Mother are what makes it great. If I never heard Stories again I would be fine with that - the only good thing about it is a riff stolen from a Wildhearts song. 

In order for meself... Infernal Love > Trouble Gum > Nurse > Pleasure Death/Baby Teeth > Semi-detached (last one is probably controversial).

I quite like High Anxiety and Cleave too.

Just came across their "Greatest Hits 2020 Versions"... sounds like re-recordings? It's not necessarily bad, just a bit pointless. Though the version of Diane on this is closer to the Husker Du original as it's typical rock instruments. Opal Mantra is on it too - is there anything with the original release on it that's handy at all?

#1586 May 30, 2024, 03:46:44 PM Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 03:54:14 PM by Carnage
It's a bonus track on the deluxe reissue of Troublegum, but you'd pick up the EP for nothing on Discogs. It's also on the Born In A Crash and Hats Off To The Insane EPs & Stories: The Singles Collection, they're all easy enough to track down.

The 2020 Versions (initial release was The Abbey Road Versions) are rerecordings alright. A bit pointless alright, but they had a few compilations out anyway. I think that was marking their 30th anniversary, a tie-in with the book, maybe?

Quote from: Eoin McLove on May 30, 2024, 11:55:10 AM
Quote from: Putrefaction on May 30, 2024, 11:44:31 AMBabyteeth is my fav record ever, full stop. The visceral rage, dancy rhythms, the use of samples, just shit cool. Nothing else sounds like it...

It is a beaut.

Quote from: Carnage on May 30, 2024, 03:46:44 PMIt's a bonus track on the deluxe reissue of Troublegum, but you'd pick up the EP for nothing on Discogs. It's also on the Born In A Crash and Hats Off To The Insane EPs & Stories: The Singles Collection, they're all easy enough to track down.

The 2020 Versions (initial release was The Abbey Road Versions) are rerecordings alright. A bit pointless alright, but they had a few compilations out anyway. I think that was marking their 30th anniversary, a tie-in with the book, maybe?

In my infinite dumb fuckery I scrolled right past the Stories: Single Collection on Spotify. Whoops :laugh:

And listening to those re-recordings got me thinking that I'm so glad that Neil Cooper has been in the band (for donkey years now in fairness) as his style is very similar to Ewing's, which is a huge part of Therapy's sound.

I've got Semi-detached on right now, and while Hopkins is a decent drummer, he just doesn't have that mad energy the other two lads have.

Very true. Hopkins is a very straight player compared to the others. You can tell Cooper really paid attention to Fyfe, he gets how much his approach drove that early stuff and made them stand apart from other bands.