'Rocked up' means something completely different to me.

The Def Leppard meaning? I get ye.

Them bastard microseconds that lie in between when you go to tap something on your phone, and the website layout changing as it hasn't fully loaded, and you end up tapping something else by accident  :abbath:

Quote from: Caomhaoin

'He rocked up'. Ah here, fuck off.

What's wrong with that?

Quote from: Giggles on May 01, 2020, 07:25:00 AM

What's wrong with that?

I just find it an enormously cringeworthy expression. I was watching off the ball the other day when they were doing that Mount Rushmore thing for each county, and the three boys on the video call kept saying 'dude', 'rocked up' etc in Donegal and North Dublin accents, just annoyed the fuck out of me. Speak normally, it's Ireland.

So in conclusion, I can't give you a forensic analysis of what's 'wrong' with it. I suppose nothing really, apart from the fact that it's a really gay expression and it makes me cringe when Irish people say it.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on May 01, 2020, 08:08:44 AM
Quote from: Giggles on May 01, 2020, 07:25:00 AM

What's wrong with that?

I just find it an enormously cringeworthy expression. I was watching off the ball the other day when they were doing that Mount Rushmore thing for each county, and the three boys on the video call kept saying 'dude', 'rocked up' etc in Donegal and North Dublin accents, just annoyed the fuck out of me. Speak normally, it's Ireland.

So in conclusion, I can't give you a forensic analysis of what's 'wrong' with it. I suppose nothing really, apart from the fact that it's a really gay expression and it makes me cringe when Irish people say it.
Ah heer lad. Less of the homophobic slurs please.
I have a lot of time for gay people. Some of my best friends know people who are gay.

Nice one🤣

On the subject, the concept of 'heteronormativity' (I'm startled that that word comes up in my spellchecker) and it's negative connotations. Ya but most people are heterosexual so by definition, it's normal.

Steampunk. Get fucked.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on May 01, 2020, 08:33:28 AM
Nice one🤣

On the subject, the concept of 'heteronormativity' (I'm startled that that word comes up in my spellchecker) and it's negative connotations. Ya but most people are heterosexual so by definition, it's normal.

It doesn't seem like anyone disputes that a majority of people are heterosexual, is the idea not that the fact that this is used to make people who aren't heterosexual discriminated against?

How are they discriminated against? Apart from in Islamic counties.

Quote from: CaomhaoinSpeak normally, it's Ireland.

So because I'm Irish, I shouldn't be expected to say words like "dude"? Fuck that, yo.

Quote from: Juggz on April 30, 2020, 08:17:11 PM
The Def Leppard meaning? I get ye.
:) Or even a GnR Mötley Crüe way.
"Wow, (Slash), you're my hero!"
"You like my music?"
"You play music?"
(as an aside my phone auto-corrected the umlauts in Mötley Crüe)

Quote from: Caomhaoin on May 01, 2020, 10:28:06 AM
How are they discriminated against? Apart from in Islamic counties.

And any country that is half way religious (conservative Christians are some of the most bigoted people on the planet). There's places that have to ban "conversion therapy" because it's so common.

Homophobia still very much exists in the world. It seems less obvious to us because we live in Europe and it's a social utopia compared to other parts of the world. Still exists here though. I grew up with a guy that kicked the shit out of someone because a gay lad tried to chat him up. That's discrimination.

Imagine if the word "straight" was a slur? It's not. "Queer", "faggot", "homo" - almost any term is associated with homosexuality is considered a slur (and even saying "that's gay" is homophobic because even if it's meant as a gentle slur, negative connotations are still attached to it).

Until such time that homosexuality is thought of as nothing more than an alternative norm (in the same way as one person has black hair and the other has brown hair) then discrimination will exist.

I've remarked to different male groups of friends I've been part of over the years, either retrospectively or on the spot, that if any one of them were homosexual, they would have found it almost impossible to come out, since the vibe of the group was so casually homophobic in that "harmless" yet omnipresent kind of way. And I'm talking about in such liberal strongholds as Paris...and even Greystones!

These days, in Europe, once a guy comes out he'll have no problem finding lots of other LGBTQ+ people to hang out with, etc., but from my experience very few would have felt truly comfortable among the friends they may have grown up with. What would you call that if not a direct effect of discrimination and the vestiges of archaic views of what is and isn't "normal"??