Really enjoyed them in the Olympia a few years back. Glad to see them back

VOLBEAT
Plus special guests:
SKINDRED
NAPALM DEATH
12 DECEMBER 2022
3ARENA, DUBLIN

Tickets on sale this Friday 1 July at 10.00am

Volbeat not my cup of tea whatsoever but the idea of seeing Napalm Death in the 3arena is pretty cool to me.

I was considering seeing Volbeat in the Ulster Hall recently. Their latest album is more metally; not into the psychobilly stuff so much.

Napalm Death have flown under my radar a bit, but what I've heard so far is great.

I guess the December date gives me some time to get into both bands and make a decision.

By the end of the year Napalm Death, Obituary and Amon Amarth will all have played the 3 arena at some stage!!! Which is mad when you think about it.

#6 December 13, 2022, 07:35:21 PM Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 07:47:34 PM by Iliketortles
I signed up just to give my take on this.

1. First of all, whoever thought it was a good idea (band or organiser FUCK YOU) to erect a giant barrier just so you can have your "golden circle" or "snake pit" you can go jump off a fucking mountain. The barrier was right in the middle of the standing area and took away from any type of atmosphere. God help you if you were under 5 foot 9 and spent 50 euro to peer over a giant black barrier.  I expect these things to be a marquee event for bands like Metallica or slayer - not in the 3 Arena for fucking Volbeat. You could see Barney from napalm probably thought this was the biggest load of bullshit ever.

2. The sound was fucking atrocious for Napalm Death. Again because the barrier was so far away from the stage it limited the sound of the band. Nobody was in that shitty pit for Napalm so they'd barely any crowd to feed off of.

3 Skindred really put on a great show.

4. Never really been a big fan of volbeat but they were ok. Left halfway through as I got bored.

All in all the shittiest gig I've been to in a while all because the promoter or band wanted to squeeze a few more pennies out of their audience. 

No interest in the gig as I think Volbeat are just awful, curious as to how it would've done as the lineup was quirky but from the clips I seen it looked grim alright. The barrier did look bizarre, crowd seemed sparse and Volbeat themselves looked like they couldn't be arsed.

Sparse enough crowd alright.

The barrier was daft in a venue that size / shape.

Poor Napalm Death, sound was really shit. I thought they could have boxed clever with the setlist considering the audience, drop in a bit of Greed Killing / Breed to Breathe but they went balls to the wall and coupled with the shit sound I doubt they converted any new fans, likewise I'm sure they don't really give a fuck.

Skindred, superb - been looking to catch them for a long time. Tight band, catchy songs, great interaction with the crowd - they really put on a show.

Volbeat are a band I just don't get. Listened to 5 songs and split, they all sounded a bit samey.

Just before they came on they had crew members out on the floor giving out wristbands for the VIP 'pit' section - must have been awesome for all those that bought the premium price tickets.

I would say as well that Skindred got what was clearly a pissed off/apathetic crowd in a better mood after a few songs.

#11 December 17, 2022, 05:48:30 PM Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 05:51:59 PM by Necro Red
Quote from: Bogmetaller on December 13, 2022, 02:55:55 PMHow was this does anyone know?
Quote from: Iliketortles on December 13, 2022, 07:35:21 PMI signed up just to give my take on this.

1. First of all, whoever thought it was a good idea (band or organiser FUCK YOU) to erect a giant barrier just so you can have your "golden circle" or "snake pit" you can go jump off a fucking mountain. The barrier was right in the middle of the standing area and took away from any type of atmosphere. God help you if you were under 5 foot 9 and spent 50 euro to peer over a giant black barrier.  I expect these things to be a marquee event for bands like Metallica or slayer - not in the 3 Arena for fucking Volbeat. You could see Barney from napalm probably thought this was the biggest load of bullshit ever.

2. The sound was fucking atrocious for Napalm Death. Again because the barrier was so far away from the stage it limited the sound of the band. Nobody was in that shitty pit for Napalm so they'd barely any crowd to feed off of.

4. Never really been a big fan of volbeat but they were ok. Left halfway through as I got bored.

All in all the shittiest gig I've been to in a while all because the promoter or band wanted to squeeze a few more pennies out of their audience.
Lad, that barrier was there to fill space I'd say considering how abysmal the turnout for the show was. It is the worst attended gig I've ever been at in 3. The stage was brought forward incredibly so too. Kinda felt bad for the bands really. Was it a case if being too close to Xmas for people willing to go, or just not enough people in to Volbeat?

Wouldn't have thought Volbeat could fill the Olympia never mind the Point.

Saw them many moons ago at Graspop 07 and thought they were grand but didn't really see why they were mainstage material that day and still don't now!

It's a shame attendance was so shit cause it was a cool tour to be brought to Dublin and at a fair price, had no interest in seeing Volbeat themselves though.

Quote from: Necro Red on December 17, 2022, 05:48:30 PM
Quote from: Bogmetaller on December 13, 2022, 02:55:55 PMHow was this does anyone know?
Quote from: Iliketortles on December 13, 2022, 07:35:21 PMI signed up just to give my take on this.

Lad, that barrier was there to fill space I'd say considering how abysmal the turnout for the show was. It is the worst attended gig I've ever been at in 3. The stage was brought forward incredibly so too. Kinda felt bad for the bands really. Was it a case if being too close to Xmas for people willing to go, or just not enough people in to Volbeat?

Nah lad it was definitely to sell "premium" level tickets. Pure money grab and I think they overestimated the popularity of the headliner.