It's not really live, though. The majority of it was overdubbed in studio afterward. I believe the same is true of Unleashed In The East, if not to the same degree.

I think the only overdubs on Unleashed were the vocals and maybe a solo or two? Halford claims he was sick the night of the gig, but performed them in studio in a set up like a gig.

As for L&D, nothing wrong with it in my eyes. The drums were kept 100%, as told to me by Downey. Guitars seemed to have the odd solo replaced, and vocals were 50/50 I think. Still more or less live, more so than shit you'd get these days anyway.

Tony Visconti, who produced it, reckoned it was anywhere from 75% - 90% overdubbed, and I'm inclined to believe him, as he has less skin in the game than the band themselves.

It doesn't even particularly sound like a live album TBH, unlike Life/Live where they made a point of not overdubbing it. Much better album, either way.

Quote from: Carnage on July 09, 2021, 10:07:39 PM
Tony Visconti, who produced it, reckoned it was anywhere from 75% - 90% overdubbed, and I'm inclined to believe him, as he has less skin in the game than the band themselves.

It doesn't even particularly sound like a live album TBH, unlike Life/Live where they made a point of not overdubbing it. Much better album, either way.

Actually yeah I always forget about Life/Live, but it's much better. Better setlist but sound is great too.

I still stick by the National Stadium gig on youtube as the best gig from the Robertson era.

I actually had that on DVD but it was fucking scratched. Didn't realise it was on Youtube, I'll give it a go.

It is possible though that the best album ever is Disco Volante.

I could definitely understand Disco Volante as a choice.

I was chatting to a fella last night and I put this to him and lo and behold he made the case for Disco Volante as well. It's certainly up there and has kept me going for about 25 years now.

I've never heard Disco Volante, the first album put me off them for good. Is it along the same lines, 'cos that was just a mess?

#54 July 10, 2021, 03:32:23 PM Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 03:34:15 PM by astfgyl
If you think the first album is a mess then you aint heard nothing yet! I will say though that the first album is no indicator as to what comes next. It's a masterpiece and there isn't really anything like it.

I love all the Mr Bungle albums though (Not counting the last release). California is a cracking album too and probably the most accessible of them, if you feel like dipping the toe in.

Checked out Disco Volante earlier. An uninterested meh from me.

I've been listening to a lot of what I'd call 'singer-songwriter' music lately, mostly stripped down acoustic based stuff. A few that have been hitting the spot...

Neil Young - Harvest
Townes Van Zandt - The Late Great Townes Van Zandt
Joni Mitchell - Blue
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

I'd reckon all of them would have a claim to the best album ever, there's no tricks or gimmicks to hide behind, just pure songwriting.

For a later/more experimental twist I'd throw in Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones in there too.

Quote from: Carnage on July 06, 2021, 01:30:25 AM
Sorry, I thought the idea was to debate which one was better.

My favourite is Dead Can Dance's Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun. It's just majestic beyond words, not a bad second on it and her voice in particular is heartbreaking and chilling in turn. Never equalled.

Any of the three of Spleen and Ideal, Within the realm...... and The Serpents Egg could lay a claim. Has any band ever produced a run of three albums that good?

Plenty, but I'd go one further and ask if any other act has a similarly flawless discography? There's not one DCD release I don't think is amazing TBH, and I can't think of anyone else I could say that about.

Quote from: ldj on July 10, 2021, 04:47:05 PM
I've been listening to a lot of what I'd call 'singer-songwriter' music lately, mostly stripped down acoustic based stuff. A few that have been hitting the spot...

Neil Young - Harvest
Townes Van Zandt - The Late Great Townes Van Zandt
Joni Mitchell - Blue
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

I'd reckon all of them would have a claim to the best album ever, there's no tricks or gimmicks to hide behind, just pure songwriting.

For a later/more experimental twist I'd throw in Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones in there too.

Never really listened to Townes Van Zandt, really enjoyed that album. Cheers for that!

To add to the singer song writer stuff, I love Songs of Love and Hate by Leonard Cohen. Think famous blue raincoat is up there for favourite song, and then the sing along, sing another song boys.. And the "rocking" diamonds in the mine. Like you say, nowhere to hide. Think I got into Cohen after years of rock and metal and was blown away by just words and guitar, and angelic backing vocals in the case of Leonard.

And I have to throw in The Magnolia Electric Co by Songs Ohia with the "singer songwriter" stuff.