What you say doesn't stack up for me and the constant mention of if being modern seems like a barrier. Used to see that opinion being bandied around more often and didn't make sense to me then either.

The beauty is the subjectivity, I suppose.

Quote from: open face surgery on February 12, 2021, 12:29:38 PM
What you say doesn't stack up for me and the constant mention of if being modern seems like a barrier. Used to see that opinion being bandied around more often and didn't make sense to me then either.

The beauty is the subjectivity, I suppose.

Newer black metal released in the last few years hasn't really appealled to me. Is that clear enough?  For example I've gotten into a lot of technical death metal in the last few years because it appeals to me.

Indeed it is subjective.

Perfectly clear. You voiced an opinion which I questioned given your explanation. Chill out and go back to your tech death.  :laugh:

The only thing "modern" about the really good BM that has come out in recent years is its calendar release date.

Enjoying this thread, but don't have a lot to add, other than being pleasantly surprised to see Jute Gyte mentioned. If Disco Volante fits into the "backwards evolving" thread, then Jute Gyte is definitely a contender also!

Quote from: open face surgery on February 12, 2021, 01:54:35 PM
Perfectly clear. You voiced an opinion which I questioned given your explanation. Chill out and go back to your tech death.  :laugh:

You seemed to have a hard time stacking it up so hopefully its now stacked neatly.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on February 12, 2021, 01:58:38 PM
The only thing "modern" about the really good BM that has come out in recent years is its calendar release date.

Therein lay my confusion.

So we are pretending there has been no change in style and trends within black metal over the last couple of decades? Cool.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on February 12, 2021, 06:32:04 PM
So we are pretending there has been no change in style and trends within black metal over the last couple of decades? Cool.

Ah man I was hoping you'd let them be  :laugh:

Some people love being argumentative for the sake of it.

Ungfell - Mythen, Mären, Pestilenz and Hexenbrett - Zweite Beschwörung: Ein Kind zu töten are two modern black metal albums which have their own individuality whilst still being able to hark back to the "heyday" of Black Metal.

No, but "modern BM" isn't a label that in any way captures anything musically meaningful shared by the wide range of BM that has been released recently, apart from the date of its release. There is plenty of recent BM, of both the lo-fi and high production varieties, that is very much bristling with its own personality and freshness. Sure, you know better than I what's out there, but Thantifaxath, for example, since they've been mentioned; pristine performances, yet raw and very unique. Or Mooncitadel, who I've only heard in the last two weeks, really hearkening back to the classic sound, but creating something that demands to be listened to in its own right, certainly not as a rehash.

Quite a few other bands in here I'm going to check out too. Nice to get some metal discussion going anyway, and sure the disagreements of perspective only make it more interesting and result in even more recommendations!

Quote from: Blackout on February 12, 2021, 06:33:51 PM

Ah man I was hoping you'd let them be  :laugh:

Some people love being argumentative for the sake of it.

We've established you've no horse in this race. Don't piggyback on someone else's.

Andy: All the bands listed in the first post are variations of the same theme and purely revisionist bands. As good as they are. Your statement is a different issue, obviously not the case nor was it wilfully implied, as you presumably know, but did prove to be something for Blackout to latch onto as a last breath.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on February 12, 2021, 08:20:32 AM
This morning on the way to work I stuck on Rahu's self titled album. It's grand. It held my attention for three or four songs and then I lost interest in it. I switched over to Mysteries of the Nocturnal Forest by Evilfeast instead. This is much more like it. There is nothing remotely original to be found but GrimSpirit is a master at capturing that raw, epic 90s style. Perfect music for this harsh, freezing cunt of a February.

Which Evilfeast album is the best one to start with?

I started with their last one, Elegies of the Stellar Winds. It's savage. If you like it then the rest will appeal to you too, as consistency reigns across his catalogue.