On a little Sigh buzz for the first time in a while. I have Infidel Art on and it's a cracking album. You can clearly hear their influences- a bit of Celtic Frost here,  a bit of Master's Hammer there,  even a bit of Cathedral in places perhaps? Despite that they have an instantly recogniseable sound,  not least of all because of Mirai's cool vocals.  The only other early release I have my them is Ghastly Funeral Theatre so last night I finally ordered Scorn Defeat, which sounded great from my little YouTube listen. Dunno why I never got around to it before now,  but that's often how it goes.  I never connected with their later stuff but the old BM style they had was the business.

One of the bigger bands left on the list of bands I've for no particular reason ever sat down and listened to. Maybe listened to Scorn Defeat once fifteen years ago, but can't even remember what my impression was!

Going to add it and Infidel Art to the weekend playing list so, I definitely like the three bands you reference them to.

#2 January 15, 2021, 08:11:08 PM Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 08:17:01 PM by Eoin McLove
It's great stuff. Uncomplicated in a way,  but full of imagination. There's a big classical mystic influence in their sound which is at odds with the fairly direct riffing style, but in a good way.

There's a really clear heavy metal feel to their songs  as well.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on January 15, 2021, 08:08:04 PM
One of the bigger bands left on the list of bands I've for no particular reason ever sat down and listened to. Maybe listened to Scorn Defeat once fifteen years ago, but can't even remember what my impression was!

Going to add it and Infidel Art to the weekend playing list so, I definitely like the three bands you reference them to.

Was only thinking the exact same thought. Bought quite an amount of material directly from Cacophonous when they were a going concern including Cradle, Dimmu, Bal Sagoth. Gehenna and Vergelmer but Sigh and Deinonychus flew under the radar. Their debut Scorn Defeat scores 92% on Metal Archives so that might not be a bad place to begin.

Had Scorn Defeat back in the day,havent listened to it in  a good while now though.Sigh/Primordial was one of my first trips to Dublin for a gig too.

Quote from: vinterland on January 15, 2021, 08:20:12 PM

Was only thinking the exact same thought. Bought quite an amount of material directly from Cacophonous when they were a going concern including Cradle, Dimmu, Bal Sagoth. Gehenna and Vergelmer but Sigh and Deinonychus flew under the radar. Their debut Scorn Defeat scores 92% on Metal Archives so that might not be a bad place to begin.

I've never even heard of Vergelmer. Must give them a listen.

I love everything of theirs. The early stuff is some of the best black metal ever made. Their later stuff is obviously very experimental while still retaining that black metal core. One of few bands where the term experimental is not just a byword for shite. Hail Horror Hail is magnificent.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 15, 2021, 08:38:52 PM
Quote from: vinterland on January 15, 2021, 08:20:12 PM

I've never even heard of Vergelmer. Must give them a listen.

They trade under the banner of melodic Swedish black metal without being in the same league as some of their contemporaries Dawn, The Moaning, Sacramentum and (who else) Vinterland. They only have one album to their name in "Light the Black Flame." They had an unreleased demo uploaded on Youtube once upon a time which was of a much higher quality than their 1997 release. It had a two worded title the first of which (from what I can recall) was Omnio.

Cool.  I'll give it a spin later.

I've never listened to Hail Horror Hail before and I'm just after sticking it on on YouTube. Jeepers, it immediately leps out of the speakers. I thought this might be where they started to move away from BM (maybe that happens across the album) but so far it sounds like early Sigh on overdrive! Must see if I can find a copy for sale in the coming weeks.

I gave Gallows Gallery and Hangman's Hymn a good few spins when they came out but wasn't bothered about their other material, being that I'm generally not a BM fan. Those two were great sounds, though.

So many albums I should check out but I can't recommend Scorn Defeat highly enough. Beautiful flow off the album, love the vocal variety, and harpsichords, what's not to like?!

My least favourite of theirs is Imaginary Soniscape. It's not a bad album, just not up to their impossibly high standards.

Scorn Defeat is the only album of theirs that I listen to regularly, but it's incredible. Infidel Art is great too but that's where things start to get a bit too out there for me, I don't find myself spinning that one as often.

The later stuff is mental, really enjoy it for a song or two, but can never get through a full album of it. Enjoyed the story on the Alan Averill podcast of their first gig in Dublin too.

Scorn Defeat is my fave of theirs.
Have a copy of black wax Ghastly Funeral Theatre to shift if anyone is interested.