December 21, 2020, 10:48:27 PM Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 10:50:45 PM by Eoin McLove
I'm listening to this old Irish demo on YouTube at the minute and despite it sounding somewhat naive, it is a decent enough listen. I checked discogs to see if there are any copies floating about for sale and there was one copy going for €85... pass!  :laugh:

It would be cool to see it get some form of reissue in the future and I saw mention of a second unreleased demo (or album?) which I would also be curious to hear.

I know the black, death and doom gems from 90s Ireland are few and far between but hook me up with any interesting oddities from that era if they exist.  Cheers.

https://youtu.be/OMawVHbt2Uw

Edit.  Links to interviews, band pics and vids welcome as well.

Surely head here
https://irishmetalarchive.com/artists/carnun/
You can download that plus their Fermoy gig, and there's 2 interviews there as well.

I have the demo but added the revised extended version to my bandcamp account only a few weeks ago as it's class.

I actually found an old tape during lockdown of an interview I did back then with Marc for Silent Ireland. Plan to do something with those old unpublished interviews next year at some stage to honour the cover done by Timo Ketola. If the interviews can be considered any good 20 odd years later is another matter!  :-[

#2 December 22, 2020, 12:26:41 AM Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 12:38:53 AM by Carnage
I've still got that demo, it's one of my favourites. Total Burzum worship (as was Mark's zine, Total Darkness - I got them from you Brian, if memory serves) and as you said, a bit naiive but it's a great listen. Funny that it's going for stupid money - a mate offered me €100 for it years ago but I wouldn't sell it to him, I never thought it'd actually be worth near that these days.

I met the guitarist just after they'd split, sound enough lad.

It's the demo, re-recorded instrumental versions and rehearsal from 1996.

Jesus sorry I don't know who's hiding behind the Carnage moniker?? Incidentally I received "Dark Recollections" on vinyl today 😀

Quote from: Snare on December 22, 2020, 12:19:10 AM
Surely head here
https://irishmetalarchive.com/artists/carnun/
You can download that plus their Fermoy gig, and there's 2 interviews there as well.

I have the demo but added the revised extended version to my bandcamp account only a few weeks ago as it's class.

I actually found an old tape during lockdown of an interview I did back then with Marc for Silent Ireland. Plan to do something with those old unpublished interviews next year at some stage to honour the cover done by Timo Ketola. If the interviews can be considered any good 20 odd years later is another matter!  :-[

Oddly,  I went to the Irish Metal Archive last night but the link to their page wouldn't open for me.  I'll try again today.

Ketola designed artwork for your zine,  is that correct?

Is that the same band as Carnún Rising?

Quote from: Pedrito on December 22, 2020, 07:35:01 AM
Is that the same band as Carnún Rising?

Two completely different bands! Same county but different langballs and styles.

The band link works away just now as well. There's a video of the Fermoy gig there as well.

Yeah Timo was an integral "part" of the Irish scene back then and was a close contact for people all over the place. I don't know how he managed it but he understood varied accents from Donegal, Antrim, Dublin, Cork, etc - most of us find that difficult! 😆 So yeah being the sound lad he was he did some handywork for demos and zines here back then.

Nice.  Fire up the artwork even if you don't manage to print up the zine  8)

I love this demo and was actually only watching that Fermoy gig recently. I would love to see a decent reissue of this this preferably on vinyl with a decent inlay.
As for the interviews, anything Marc says in interviews was controversial then and would be tantamount to lynching these woke ass days.
This is probably a stupid question but who actually "owns" this material?

Carnun was Mick from Primordials band... not sure who else was in there, i was told but forgot.

2 photos from Fermoy

Quote from: Snare on December 22, 2020, 12:46:42 AM
It's the demo, re-recorded instrumental versions and rehearsal from 1996.

Jesus sorry I don't know who's hiding behind the Carnage moniker?? Incidentally I received "Dark Recollections" on vinyl today 😀

Ah sound, I must download that, I have no tape deck anymore.

#12 December 23, 2020, 10:38:46 AM Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 10:41:13 AM by Blizzard Beast
Quote from: keeper of kalessin on December 22, 2020, 09:50:28 AM
Carnun was Mick from Primordials band... not sure who else was in there, i was told but forgot.
Marc and Damien.

Great demo, the rehearsal tracks and recorded drum machine tracks are excellent. Shame we never got to hear an album.

#13 December 23, 2020, 01:34:46 PM Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 01:36:56 PM by Paul keohane
You can see a few of us young pups in the Fermoy footage!.Between Geasa and Carnun it was very much a black metal worship type of a day out..The demo was good alright,havent listened to it in a long long time.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on December 22, 2020, 07:32:38 AM
...I went to the Irish Metal Archive last night but the link to their page wouldn't open for me.  I'll try again today.
Only glitch on the IMA site is the player on release pages that links to bandcamp sites is down.

Jim has been promising to fix it for about 4 months now...  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: