Sorted a job in Cork a few weeks ago after 4 years in Dublin - went for a walk to the Cruiscin for nostalgias sake  just to see what was left of it. There's 4 application notices dated from April on it applying for it to be changed to a medical practice, shop, retail space and apartments. Didn't think it was big enough to accommodate all that but anyway.

What were people's experiences of it? I was only there 3 times - first time being when I was a fresh 17 year old to see Exodus, then there was the Cannibal Corpse and Destruction shows. Don't remember much of it but I remember my first thoughts of the Voodoo Lounge in Dublin was that it was fucking shite in comparison.

Always had serious craic there, thought it was a great spot. Offy next door, sound staff, good sound. Mind you maybe im seeing things through rose tinted glasses as I was late teens and early 20s going to gigs there.

Saw some class gigs between 2007 to whenever it closed... Destruction, Suffocation, Rotting Christ, Slough Feg, Procession, Desaster.

And of course the KKK stunt and the ensuing shitshow on MI was fantastic  :laugh:

I was only there a few times, a couple of times to play and then to see Triptykon shortly before it closed. It was a little scuzzy but I always enjoyed the place. Seeing Tom G there was a little surreal. It was fucking class to see the man play in such a small venue, even if he didn't share my joy of the experience, or his Romanian stalker lady  :laugh:

I do miss those great MI threads.

#3 September 12, 2020, 10:47:25 AM Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 11:01:19 AM by Paul keohane
From memory,my  first notable gig (outside of cover bands) in there was Akercocke (2004 i think).Virtually lived in the place for the following 6/7 years.Some unbelievable bands came through the doors,some of my all time favourite bands.The 2 Dismember gigs really stand out for me,Unleashed,Bolt Thrower,God Dethroned,Amon Amarth ,Suffocation ,Decapitated.It all just fell into place at the time,Nancys stopped doing gigs in the mid 2000s so for me there was a fear of not having a decent gig venue in Cork to cater for touring bands.Thankfully The Cruiscin filled the void,it really peaked for a few years in the mid/late 2000s.Real good memories.

Quote from: Juggz on September 12, 2020, 09:43:09 AM
I was only there a few times, a couple of times to play and then to see Triptykon shortly before it closed. It was a little scuzzy but I always enjoyed the place. Seeing Tom G there was a little surreal. It was fucking class to see the man play in such a small venue, even if he didn't share my joy of the experience, or his Romanian stalker lady  :laugh:

I do miss those great MI threads.

Definitely gets my vote as the funniest thread on the old forum. Even Shockpotus bashing threads couldn't beat it for comedy value!

#5 September 12, 2020, 02:34:44 PM Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 02:41:14 PM by Nail_Bombed
Saw a bunch of gigs there back in the day, but one that stands out was Unsane in 2004. Badly, badly advertised so very few turned up, but even though there was only about 50 people there, they blew the walls off the place all the same - savage noise.

Bolt Thrower, Suffocation, Destruction and Decapitated were all great shows as well. Napalm Death in Cruiscin was a blast.

It was open during a cool time for metal and was a focal point for metal (& other genres) in Cork during the 00s.  Saw (& played with) so many great bands there over the years including many of those mentioned above - getting to see October Tide (& subsequent all night lock in) there was great.... Tryptykon was unreal to meet Tom there and the hilarity that followed.... but the Winterfests etc there were great too.  A bit loss when it closed down.  At least there's a decent sized venue in cork now again with Cypress Ave - with luck there'll be gigs to fill it in the not too distant future!

I saw and heard Zealot Cult for the first time there. They were opening for whoever was the headliner that night and completely owned the venue, including all the supports and the main attraction. I know, not quite big of a name as some mentioned above, nevertheless a revelation for me at the time. Didn't know much about Irish scene then and I was blown away.

I had a quick chat with the lads after the gig and learned that at the time they didn't even rehearse regularly. Being a bedroom bass and guitar player myself I nearly creamed my pants upon hearing that, after witnessing such tight and brutal performance just minutes earlier.

The first two incarnations of the Cruiscin - after it changed from a bar that had bands the odd time to a decent gigs 4 - 5 night a week venue  - were great.

It showcased all sorts of music, not just metal. I saw a rake of great gigs there - Oxbow, Electric Eel Shock, Iron & Wine, Turn, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Jim White, Rodney Crowell, Cooper, The Redneck Manifesto, Biffy Clyro, My Morning Jacket etc.. They had some decent cover bands through there too - a band called Thunderstruck from the midlands played one night - you'd swear the real AC/DC had showed up, it was wedged.

After it changed hands a final time when there was a lad called Kieran (I think) running it - it went to to the dogs, in my opinion. Sure, there were still great bands coming through but the craic seemed to have been sucked out of the place, it seemed like the vibe had darkened in there... just... grim. It went from being a nice venue that would host anything worthwhile to a bleak room that basically did metal and Eastern European techno.

Wasn't there some mental KKK carry on too? (EDIT: Yeah there was.)

I saw someone else mention Unsane. I couldn't believe that A. they were playing Cork and B. they ended up playing to a bare handful of people. Metallica were playing in Dublin the next day as far as I recall but I don't think that would have impacted it that much. They were deadly though.

One factor about the Crusicin that was to its detriment was where it was situated. There's definitely a Cork mental block about things located outside of the 3 main streets - and I say this a langer born and raised. Dedicated gig goers wouldn't be phased but casuals would definitely baulk. Countless times people would ask me where the gig was on and then follow it up with "Over there? That's miles away".  Some bands playing the Cruiscin would get bigger attendance when they played Cyprus Avenue (this was back when CA was a low-ceilinged sweatbox with mediocre sound and no air-con also) probably because it was in the centre of town.

The biggest thing that I miss about the Cruiscin was the sound quality in there. It could be loud as all fuck and still crystal clear. Very few off nights in terms of sound and Matt/Ber were always able to fix it.

What's this funky ass KKK story?

#10 September 14, 2020, 02:06:27 PM Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:08:55 PM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on September 14, 2020, 01:45:06 PM
What's this funky ass KKK story?

There's probably someone on here from the old MI forum that can tell it better than I can. From what I recall;

There was a gig in 2009 (for the life of me, I can't remember who was playing, I recall local support who were none to impressed with the carry on) and during the main act's set some lad appeared onstage in KKK gear (or possibly a Scooby Doo ghost outfit made from a sheet). The lad who was running the Cruiscin instead of denouncing the actions like a normal person appeared to have some kind of mental breakdown on MI, ended up losing all control of himself and going on a one man rant rampage (in all caps). Apparently changing his avatar to a photo of him smiling outside Auschwitz along the way...

I really wish I had a link to that thread. It was gold. 

It was purely a gig venue for me,would never have went there for pints if there wasn't a gig on.I personally didnt know your man Kieran,but any lads i knew in bands said he was good to deal with,but others didnt like him for his political views.
Im trying to picture the place in its first incarnation,i can remember going to see Metallica and Black sabbath tribute bands in there,was there a bar to the right as you went in the door?.
It was perfect for what Cork needed at the time,there was a bit of a resurgence in numbers going to gigs for a few years.Previous to that period there wasnt much happening from an touring  band point of view coming to Cork.Bar the very odd big one in Nancys.

#12 September 14, 2020, 02:20:38 PM Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:23:57 PM by Paul keohane
The KKK gig was Putrefy from up north,i had the incident recorded on my phone at the time!,long gone now though.

Great times :laugh:

Putrefy had a song called zombie redneck (I think) that's what the kkk suit was about, it was a joke, it was funny, people lost their shit over it. Always liked dealing with Kieran, we had a few heated discussions about politics at 5 in the morning during a lock in. I liked playing there, saw some great bands, miss the place.

#14 September 14, 2020, 06:56:51 PM Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 07:00:34 PM by Paul keohane
Quote from: lifeeternal on September 14, 2020, 06:45:35 PM
Putrefy had a song called zombie redneck (I think) that's what the kkk suit was about, it was a joke, it was funny, people lost their shit over it. Always liked dealing with Kieran, we had a few heated discussions about politics at 5 in the morning during a lock in. I liked playing there, saw some great bands, miss the place.
I personally didn't give a fuck,definitely a way ott reaction at the time.If it happened now there would be mass protests outside the place!.