I like to record the distorted tone to the track when I'm recording which makes undoing bad decisions harder and rules out re-amping, but I just like to commit to the idea and tone at the time. I'd still add any other effects when mixing but the distorted tone always gets recorded.

Right lads. Looking for a bit of advice with home recordings.
I've decided to go ahead with a one man project and was wondering what would be the best drum program to go for. I've used ezdrummer before which was ok. Not an official version though, so it was limited. I'm going to be running cubase on a new computer. Also, could someone recommend monitor speakers, headphones and a guitar program. I want to record with my amp and with a program.
Cheers

As a free alternative to EZ Drummer, I use MT Power Drumkit. If you're looking to do decent quality recordings you might need something better. I only need it for demos. https://www.powerdrumkit.com/

I use 2 of these speakers. No complaints.
https://www.thomann.de/ie/m_audio_bx5_d3.htm
All depends how much you want to spend.

I wouldn't be an expert on headphones.

I was using Guitar Rig on Reaper but if you have too many tracks running Guitar Rig, it can get laggy and glitchy, so now I'm recording with an amp and pedalboard.

Cheers man, much appreciated!

Might be a bit of a dumb question but I'm new to home recording.

When you guys are laying down a track where do yis begin, do you program drums that you can use when recording bass/guitars, or do you just record guitars first and try to keep a consistent rhythm or record a scratch take?

With sequenced drums, I'd usually record the riff or part to click and then get the drum pattern together and build the song like that, putting whatever sections together, then only recording finalised guitar and bass tracks once the whole song structure and drum track is in place.

Juggz's way is probably the best. I do a more simplified version. Record main guitar to a click track for each section. Then decide on suitable drum patterns. After that it's usually keys or second guitar track. Bass is last, as it's generally only a place holder. If I was more conscientious I'd have proper basslines figured out at the start.

Sound lads I'll give recording with a click track a go.

#39 August 15, 2019, 02:26:59 AM Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 02:10:31 AM by DyslucsicJK
T'was,,,, then A jam then a song, Signia Premier Drums, Musicman Stingray Bass. tbc...

sounds good man. did you mix that yourself too?

Sounds well Johnny - is that still the big double kit? where are you recording the drums now?

hyperbolic nightmare ends?????