Who are the best Thrash band of all time.......

Metallica
15 (26.8%)
Slayer
19 (33.9%)
Megadeth
8 (14.3%)
Anthrax
2 (3.6%)
Kreator
3 (5.4%)
Sodom
0 (0%)
Testament
1 (1.8%)
Exodus
2 (3.6%)
Sepultura
2 (3.6%)
Other
4 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 55

These days I find myself listening to the early mixes (or whatever they're called) disc that came with the deluxe reissue, it sounds rough alright - no solos, some tracks are instrumental, and so on - but it's a bit chunkier and goes down well.

Quote from: leatherface on September 05, 2020, 06:53:00 PM
'...And Justice For All' sounds just fine to me. Never understood this whole "needs bass" criticism. It's a sharp, punchy and mean sounding production job. The guitars even have some low end to them (if you listen carefully) so I've never had an issue with it. I have an original vinyl copy and it sounds great.

Sounds perfect. People are just whiney.

Quote from: Pedrito on September 06, 2020, 01:22:31 AM
Quote from: leatherface on September 05, 2020, 06:53:00 PM
'...And Justice For All' sounds just fine to me. Never understood this whole "needs bass" criticism. It's a sharp, punchy and mean sounding production job. The guitars even have some low end to them (if you listen carefully) so I've never had an issue with it. I have an original vinyl copy and it sounds great.

Sounds perfect. People are just whiney.

I was one of those, always imagining what it would sound like with bass on it and at first I was amazed with the Justice For Jason version on youtube, but lately I've gone back around to the regular, no-bass version. There is something very cold and clinical sounding about it that I like. And the guitar sound is chunky enough that it doesn't sound tinny, just sort of sparse is all.

It definitely is Lars' shining moment (probably with the help of nose snow).

#109 September 06, 2020, 12:47:02 PM Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 12:50:00 PM by Pedrito
I always thought the sparse sound reflected perfectly the idea of a post nuclear wasteland, which is what Blackened was about. Then you have a title like Harvester of Sorrow...perfect lining up of sound, imagery, concept, the lot. Sparse, arid, colourless.

Indeed the 'theme' of the entire album is one of incompleteness. The Shortest Straw, Frayed Ends of Sanity, The obvious gaping hole left by Cliff Burton on To Live is to Die, that sense of vacuum that emantes from the song.

One is about a soldier who loses everything, the ability to communicate, the ability to move, trapped in a living hell of incompleteness; bleak, void, vacuum.

Title track is the raping of Justice, the blinding of justice, even the image on the front cover captures incompleteness, a 'taking away' of something.

Eye of the Beholder: Independence limited
Freedom of choice is made for you, my friend

Dyers Eve: 'clipped my wings before I learnt to fly'

Every aspect of the album screams 'stunted' 'hindered' 'retarded' 'lessened', from the circumstances surrounding the band, to the artwork, the lyrics, the 'concept'.

And for that reason, and taking all those factors into account it is quite possibly their greatest achievement. A masterwork of art reflecting life, as Grunge a metal album as you're ever likely to hear, and the reason they crossed so many boundaries and appealed to listeners in all camps at the time, and the sound of the album is integral to that. It's not meant to be warm. That would be to miss the point entirely.

When Grunge hit and other metal bands became almost obsolete and had to scramble to change image and become relevant, Metallica didn't need to, they'd already long since crossed that threshold.

It's also why I need to change my vote to Metallica

Quote from: Pedrito on September 06, 2020, 12:47:02 PM
I always thought the sparse sound reflected perfectly the idea of a post nuclear wasteland, which is what Blackened was about. Then you have a title like Harvester of Sorrow...perfect lining up of sound, imagery, concept, the lot. Sparse, arid, colourless.

Indeed the 'theme' of the entire album is one of incompleteness. The Shortest Straw, Frayed Ends of Sanity, The obvious gaping hole left by Cliff Burton on To Live is to Die, that sense of vacuum that emantes from the song.

One is about a soldier who loses everything, the ability to communicate, the ability to move, trapped in a living hell of incompleteness; bleak, void, vacuum.

Title track is the raping of Justice, the blinding of justice, even the image on the front cover captures incompleteness, a 'taking away' of something.

Every aspect of the album screams 'stunted' 'hindered' 'retarded' 'lessened', from the circumstances surrounding the band, to the artwork, the lyrics, the 'concept'.

And for that reason, and taking all those factors into account it is quite possibly their greatest achievement. A masterwork of art reflecting life, as Grunge a metal album as you're ever likely to hear, and the reason they crossed so many boundaries and appealed to listeners in all camps at the time, and the sound of the album is integral to that. It's not meant to be warm. That would be to miss the point entirely.

When Grunge hit and other metal bands became almost obsolete and had to scramble to change image and become relevant, Metallica didn't need to, they'd already long since crossed that threshold.

Great post! But I still agree with Juggz that it's not primarily a thrash album.

#113 September 06, 2020, 04:03:34 PM Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:30:29 AM by Thorn
One of the most 'nailed it' posts I've read  in ages Pedrito.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Cheers man, ah it's an amazing album. Up there with the Zepellins and Elvises and all them lads.

Quote from: Pedrito on September 06, 2020, 12:47:02 PM

Pretty much encapsulates my reason for Justice being my favourite Metallica album. I always felt I never knew why it was my favourite album considering I love the heaviest darkest metal out there but you nailed it.

Released this day 32 years ago, by the by.

When AJFA first came out I though the production was just the way it was and took it at face value and didn't really see/hear anything wrong with it. Its all in the ear I guess and what you like/don't like to hear...