#13575 July 09, 2024, 10:22:02 PM Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 10:24:52 PM by The Great Cull
Quote from: Eoin McLove on July 09, 2024, 10:10:43 PMIt has to be said, Logan Mader knew how to write a memorable and appropriate solo. He fell off the map after leaving MH but he was a serious talent back in the day.

Burn My Eyes is a deadly album even now. As much of a prick as Flynn is, he could write a decent riff and his vocals back then were spot on. I think Mader went off the rails for a few years and then spent the last few years working as a producer/engineer. Chris Kontos is playing with Forbidden now. A serious drummer. The only other Machine Head album worth any time is Through The Ashes Of Empires.

Back in the mid 90s, the entire roadrunner roster were breaking their balls to sound like either Machine Head, Sepultura or Fear Factory

To be honest, without the nostalgia factor involved I can't see myself getting excited by the other Machine Head stuff. I might revisit The More Things Change... and The Burning Red. I thought TMTC was a bit of a non event when it came out. Catchy enough in places but it sounded too close to BME but less good. I really liked TBR but I'm not sure how well I could stomach Flobb's hippity hoppity vocals nowadays.

The Burning Red got lots of air time from me but it's dated badly. A couple of good songs but mainly far too on trend for the nu metal thing. TMTC is dull. 2, maybe 3 good tunes and the rest is filler.

Through The Ashes... is a more straightforward metal album with decent input from Demmell and McClain. It was a fluke though as stuff like The Blackening was total crap and was the album where me and Machine Head went our separate ways.

I've no doubt it's decent by the MH standard but I'm not motivated to listen to it. I'll take your word  8)

Quote from: The Great Cull on July 09, 2024, 10:36:25 PMThe Burning Red got lots of air time from me but it's dated badly. A couple of good songs but mainly far too on trend for the nu metal thing. TMTC is dull. 2, maybe 3 good tunes and the rest is filler.

Through The Ashes... is a more straightforward metal album with decent input from Demmell and McClain. It was a fluke though as stuff like The Blackening was total crap and was the album where me and Machine Head went our separate ways.
Quote from: The Great Cull on July 09, 2024, 10:22:02 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on July 09, 2024, 10:10:43 PMIt has to be said, Logan Mader knew how to write a memorable and appropriate solo. He fell off the map after leaving MH but he was a serious talent back in the day.

Back in the mid 90s, the entire roadrunner roster were breaking their balls to sound like either Machine Head, Sepultura or Fear Factory

It was more so that the roster tended to have the same run of producers/engineers as there was a fair bit of variety on the label.
Their European marketing team really did push the big roadrunner 4 as you couldn't escape them. And there'd be a new digipack every six months.

But once Slipknot & Nickelback entered the company and they finally started to see a bigger return in the charts the pillars of the label got quickly got removed.

Enforcer - Nostalgia
Nuclear Assault - Game Over

Cantique Lepreux - Paysages Polaires (just something about this album has really caught me - another band I need to get the rest of their back catalogue)

Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Nell' Ora Blu (another (but more recent) release that has really captured me).

Time for a few older classics

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Def Leppard - On Through The Night
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
Sepultura - Arise

Machine Head- Burn My Eyes.
Sepultura- Beneath the Remains.

#13583 July 10, 2024, 11:04:07 AM Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 11:07:18 AM by The Wretch
PYRE - Ravenous Decease (2012)

Anyone here into these lads? I only just discovered them, apparently they did a split with Interment in 2016 that I completely missed? Don't know how they passed me by to be honest, they are right up my street.

Russian band, signed to Osmose. Old school death metal with a nice mix of Autopsy, old school Stockholm DM riffing, some Brazilian style intensity,  and I think there is probably some 'Consuming Impulse' era Pestilence in the mix too. And they cover Slaughter on this EP.  Savage stuff. I'll def be picking up some of their stuff. 

#13584 July 10, 2024, 12:04:10 PM Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 12:08:32 PM by Pentagrimes
Civerous- Maze Envy. Coming back to this a lot. Real feeling of dread to it in places. Considering seeing one of the Euro gigs

Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction & Face of Despair

Skinny Puppy:Too Dark Park
Negative Approach:Tied Down

200 Stab wounds,my new guilty pleasure DM band.Just easy listening,tap your foot riff filled DM.

Killing Joke - Pylon