Quote from: Thorn on September 02, 2023, 04:11:52 AMI gave that Exmortuus a listen last week as I'd seen the name over the years and never heard them. Not something I'd be purchasing, a bit too overblown and busy for me, like the audio equivalent of Monster Energy drink

They had an album called The Sound of Steel from 2018, which I thought was brilliant so bought this on the strength of that album.  I'll give it a few more listens. 

Iron Maiden - Book of Souls Live Chapter

Thought BoS suffered from the usual Maiden editing issues they've had since the reunion, but the live versions are hitting the spot a bit better

Grave Axis - Dismal Aeon.  Ive tried this one a few times now with the hype they had when this was released and having ex trepanation members but I just don't think it's good at all. Cvlt nation had them in their top releases of the year too which I think is more than generous. 

Marduk - Memento Moro. Playing it on YouTube because SOM are having another supply chain issue.

Ascended Dead - Evenfall Of The Apocalypse 9/10
Destroyer 666 - Never Surrender 8/10
Sacrilege - Lost In the Beauty You Slay 8/10
Venom - Storm Before The Calm 7.5/10
Evile - The Unknown 7.5/10
In The Woods.. Diversum 7/10
Xentrix - Seven Words 7/10
Runemagick - Beyond The Cenotaph Of Mankind 7/10
Savage Master - Those Who Hunt At Night 6/10
Wehrmacht - Biermacht 5/10
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Ozzy - Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman blasting out the window while guzzling wine and watching the sun set. Bliss.

Infernal kingdom-the black throne of hell
Found this cd again after 13 years can't remember where I got it but it's still a good listen

Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium

Even though it's considered a classic, I feel like this album doesn't get enough credit for 'modernising' doom metal in the 1990's, is it the first album to have the 'heft' that is pretty much common place in doom nowadays? They should be up there with Sleep and Electric Wizard but maybe they're just a bit too weird for the average stoner doom fan.

Quote from: ldj on September 03, 2023, 12:39:42 AMCathedral - Forest of Equilibrium

Even though it's considered a classic, I feel like this album doesn't get enough credit for 'modernising' doom metal in the 1990's, is it the first album to have the 'heft' that is pretty much common place in doom nowadays? They should be up there with Sleep and Electric Wizard but maybe they're just a bit too weird for the average stoner doom fan.

Good point. I was only vaguely aware of doom as a genre when Cathedral came along. I think I read about them in one of those Metal Attack Thrash specials in the mid '90s.

Trouble and Candlemass I was aware of, but they were just doing their own thing in my mind. The idea of playing really slowly was a foreign concept. I had to hear it to 'get' it, and I've been a fan of the gemre since.

Fyrnask - Fjorn
                 VII:Kenoma

Sepultura - Donnington '94

Incendiary performance from the Seps in front of the great unwashed British public, all captured on glorious C90 and hawked on a windswept O'Connell Bridge 30 odd years ago

Quote from: Thorn on September 03, 2023, 07:36:28 PMSepultura - Donnington '94

Incendiary performance from the Seps in front of the great unwashed British public, all captured on glorious C90 and hawked on a windswept O'Connell Bridge 30 odd years ago

Ah happy days picking up C90's on O'Connell Bridge the day after gigs while on the way back to Heuston Station.  :abbath:

Death - Spiritual Healing

Quote from: Snare on September 03, 2023, 08:15:07 PM
Quote from: Thorn on September 03, 2023, 07:36:28 PMSepultura - Donnington '94

Ah happy days picking up C90's on O'Connell Bridge the day after gigs while on the way back to Heuston Station.  :abbath:

Yep, all part of the ritual