You keep talking like that and I'm going to start talking you and Astfgyl or whatever his name is having the hots for eachother  :abbath:

Lets stay on track

Jesus fucking christ, you're older, we all are, that's what happens, can there be one thread without a commentary on your midlife crisis or breaking every single thing down to a specific moment of time?

#17 July 16, 2020, 01:58:26 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 01:25:13 PM by mugz

#18 July 16, 2020, 02:03:13 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 01:25:33 PM by mugz

Quote from: mugz on July 16, 2020, 01:58:26 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on July 16, 2020, 01:51:41 PM
You keep talking like that and I'm going to start talking you and Astfgyl or whatever his name is having the hots for eachother  :abbath:

Lets stay on track

well, once you frame things in terms of tropes and memes, you're automatically fecked discussion-wise, but as far as it goes, the metal dresscode always irked me, or the rule of being rude to 'outsiders' or normies, the long hair rule, the rule of forced alcohol intake, that if something's loud it must be heavy, that Motorhead is cool, that Lemmy epitomised 'metal' etc

there's a few for you

That sociology degree you did is coming back to haunt us all. I was talking more about actual songs and albums but I probably should have stated that initially. But you're right in that the wider outside influences are what often hinder our enjoyment of what should be a perfectly decent song or album.

#20 July 16, 2020, 02:39:02 PM Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 03:51:06 PM by open face surgery
Just as an aside, I remember the mags fawning over Emperor for the release of Prometheus and getting live posters around the time of Emperial Live Ceremony from one of them.

#21 July 16, 2020, 02:40:10 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 01:25:51 PM by mugz

Here's an annoying trope for you: "if it's older, it's better."

I think we've seen plenty of recent bands show that there are still depths only hinted at by the first wave of X, Y and Z. Sure, there are plenty of groups only scratching and replicating the surface with more or less nuance, but there are enough others identifying points of entry and diving to previously unexplored musical zones; Vektor spring to mind, but also Artificial Brain, Chthe'ilist, Howling Sycamore, Gospel of the Witches, Howls of Ebb, Morbus Chron/Sweven, Cryptic Shift, and sure while we're at it Malthusian too.

More generally, there is and always has been a tendency for certain metal fans to build part of their identity on which much-loved-of-others bands they hate and the various ways they can articulate this. Let this be said once and for all; what you are or are not into says almost nothing about who you are next to how you manifest what you are or not into.

Roots is a great example of an album that could be seen in 2 completely different lights.

1. A band experimenting and pushing out beyond the confines of the 'limitations' of their genre.

2. A band changing their sound to capture a wider audience.

I personally think there was an element of 2 at play, which is something that any established artist probably wrestles with, but, that said, I would tend to veer towards number 1. Chaos AD another example of an album that is much derided in certain circles, and while I adore Beaneath the Remains, Arise decent too, I can see how a band would want to change after what was a handful of albums of similar-ish style up to Chaos. Pared back, simpler riffs etc, but it was something to behold as a young lad, and a really enjoyable listen still, once you do some mindfulness meditation and release all those preconceptions that are holding you back..at least that's what Oprah said about it.

So you literally have to BECOME your favourite album? Do mean simply to emulate every facet of its concept or to literally become a vinyl,  tape or CD? I can already see a few roadblocks,  even in this age of transwhateverism, and that's not even touching on downloaders. But I'm in! Let's give it a go.

Replying to BSC of course.

The discovery of heavier stuff is as a result of Nu metal becoming mainstream so it wasnt a complete disaster of a genre. Certainly there was more bad than good but the likes of Slipknot, killswitch etc still hold a place in my playlist as I simply see them as great heavy bands. 

Agreed what a poster said before, when I discovered Black Metal I was hooked from the first opening riff of Chasing Dragons by 1349 and haven't looked back. I'd listened to plenty of cannibal corpse etc and loved it but theres something about black metal music that appeals to me.