Job loss is quite a common tactic. With regard to radical left vs moderate left there is absolutely no discernable difference between the two at the moment. Some are louder and some are sneakier.

Fuck sake, lads, yiz are seriously triggered  :laugh:

Maya Forstater worked for a think tank that campaigns against poverty and...inequality. She wasn't sacked, her contract wasn't renewed. The reasons given you know, she contested them. It should have been pretty obvious to her that her views were incommensurate with the nature of the think tank she worked for, but some people just can't keep their mouths shut, and it could well be that this element of her character manifest in other areas in the work place too. The reason given is often an excuse, as we all know.

First half lifted wholesale from the independent, second idle speculation for which there is no evidence.

Why should she keep her mouth shut under pain of losing her job if they are sincerely held beliefs?

Welcome to utopia comrades!

She worked for a left-leaning think tank, but apparently wasn't very good at strategic thinking, which is kind of their thing. She wasn't put in prison. If she is genuinely any good at the aul thinking, she can find herself a job at a right-leaning think tank, there's loads of them!

And what difference does it make where the clarifying details came from? You didn't provide any so I was obliged to look up what the hell bee had gotten into your bonnet this time!

As regards the traveller comments. Yes a large proportion are involved in criminality. Obvious. But growing up I played soccer with sound ones and lived beside two settled traveller families and never had any bother. And the lads I played soccer with got constant abuse every day because they were a traveller. And it's fucking disgraceful. I have family in Tallaght and was started on there by some young scum. It dosent mean everyone from Tallaght is a cunt.

It makes a difference because the fountain of all current affairs truth comes from the independent or the guardian! It wouldn't kill you to spread the auld net a bit further once in a while.

So what if she worked for a 'left leaning' think tank? Are you saying that their employees are not allowed to think for themselves? If that's the reason her employment was discontinued, like, having a perfectly reasonable opinion (I've seen trans people being berated for saying they are biologically male by non trans people, that 'I'm a biologically a man, get over it'person), it's clearly an intolerant organisation.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on June 09, 2020, 02:44:17 PM
It makes a difference because the fountain of all current affairs truth comes from the independent or the guardian! It wouldn't kill you to spread the auld net a bit further once in a while.

So what if she worked for a 'left leaning' think tank? Are you saying that their employees are not allowed to think for themselves? If that's the reason her employment was discontinued, like, having a perfectly reasonable opinion (I've seen trans people being berated for saying they are biologically male by non trans people, that 'I'm a biologically a man, get over it'person), it's clearly an intolerant organisation.

Ah come on now. She should have known better. If I worked for Fox News I wouldn't be wearing an "Abortion is a woman's choice" t shirt. I have sincerely held beliefs and do i share them at work. Do I fuck.

It is a statement of scientific fact

Maybe so, but getting the bullet for it? And it's not an isolated incident, opinions get you the dole queue more and more.

For most people, losing your job would be catastrophic in the short term at least. And if it's over a tweet? I don't think it's fair. It's not like she said 'I hate negroes' is it?

Quote from: Caomhaoin on June 09, 2020, 02:17:45 PM
First half lifted wholesale from the independent, second idle speculation for which there is no evidence.

Why should she keep her mouth shut under pain of losing her job if they are sincerely held beliefs?

all professional jobs are essentially busy work. Look busy, compliment your boss on his/her latest presentation/white paper/published article. never say/do/think a anything of relevance, have a nice life. it's just unionisation for middle class people, except it's unspoken.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on June 09, 2020, 02:54:17 PM
Maybe so, but getting the bullet for it? And it's not an isolated incident, opinions get you the dole queue more and more.

For most people, losing your job would be catastrophic in the short term at least. And if it's over a tweet? I don't think it's fair. It's not like she said 'I hate negroes' is it?

what kind of retard even uses twitter anymore, tik tok is the new vine, all the cool people are there.

Quote from: mugz on June 09, 2020, 03:19:56 PM
what kind of retard even uses twitter anymore, tik tok is the new vine, all the cool people are there.

That remark is offensive to the intellectually impaired. Prepare to be reported to the Irish Times.

Quote from: mugz on June 09, 2020, 03:16:48 PM
Quote from: Caomhaoin on June 09, 2020, 02:17:45 PM

all professional jobs are essentially busy work. Look busy, compliment your boss on his/her latest presentation/white paper/published article. never say/do/think a anything of relevance, have a nice life. it's just unionisation for middle class people, except it's unspoken.

That's a ridiculous blanket statement. Of course there's loads of jobs like that but I've worked in plenty of roles where if the boss is wrong they are soon told about it.