I used to be, and still am fanatical about Spirit The Earth Aflame. It is the true embodiment of all things pagan and atavistic and is surely one of the greatest releases from Ireland.

The last time I saw them live however they paled in comparison to the sheer power displayed by supports Desaster and Solstice.

I have no interest in them past The Gathering Wildness.

Got the demo back when i was a young fella,couldn't believe   they were Irish,just seemed more professional (bigger) than other Irish bands at the time.When Imrana got released the album cover was the back page of Terrorizer mag,that was a huge deal in my eyes at the time
Saw them plenty of times throught the 90s abd into the 2000s,

There was a period where they were a real force live,definitely around  Spirit and Storm era,a real energy and most of the set were real bangers!

#18 May 23, 2020, 04:21:28 PM Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:11:48 PM by Eoin McLove
Quote from: Melmoth on May 23, 2020, 03:32:42 PM
Just went up today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu9bYyimlN4

I enjoyed that. God to hear a bit of background to the themes and to see the original drawing avec pentagram that was edited and used for the cover.

Quote from: Necro Red on May 23, 2020, 09:12:37 AM
I recently watched that documentary on them which was great, although Alan seems to speak over some of the boys throughout it.

I've been meaning to watch this for years, gonna get through it over the next couple of days; shot of whiskey every time Nemty says "late 80s, early 90s". On me fuckin' ear!

If you stand up every time he describes Dublin as being rough and third world in the 90s you'll get a good workout too  :laugh:

Primordial are an institution for me - feel like I grew up with the band,  it was great in the mid to late 00's seeing them go from local heroes to international success. Their golden age was from Spirit to Nameless Dead, all 4 of those records are classics for me. After that it was good rather than great albums, but they've never released a dud either. Mind you I could never get into Redemption.

#22 May 23, 2020, 08:02:12 PM Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 08:03:45 PM by Cosmic_Equilibrium
TTND and The Gathering Wilderness are the best two, followed by A Journey's End. I haven't listened to them in a while though.

I don't get the dislike for Where Greater Men...., the main issue with that record is that it feels more like a compilation than an album. There are four excellent songs there - title track, Ghosts Of The Charnel House (which has an open riffing style I would like them to have done more of), Born To Night (total Lizzy worship) and the closer which is a hark back to their older albums. The other tracks are either OK or not that great.

Redemption is probably my least favourite, it sounds forced and isn't as tuneful as the albums either side of it. I liked some songs but not able to get into it really.

The last one was a return to form, it flowed well.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on May 23, 2020, 07:12:44 PM
If you stand up every time he describes Dublin as being rough and third world in the 90s you'll get a good workout too  :laugh:

I've been getting up to stir the coddle at those points  :laugh:

What’s the documentary mentioned earlier in the thread?
I love Redemption but the last 2; particularly the latest haven’t got many spins from me. I was late enough listening to them so the first I bought as it was released was TGW. That’s a superb album. I’ve seen them over the years and when they are in fire they really are something special.
I remember they played here in Cork one roasting Saturday evening in the Phoenix I think it was . It was a real scorcher if a day and the bar ran out of ice..
Also at the end of the set AA took a dive off the stage but it didn’t work out so well.

:laugh: :laugh:
Quote from: Eoin McLove on May 23, 2020, 07:12:44 PM

Quote from: Circlepit on May 23, 2020, 09:49:22 PM
I remember they played here in Cork one roasting Saturday evening in the Phoenix I think it was . It was a real scorcher if a day and the bar ran out of ice..
Also at the end of the set AA took a dive off the stage but it didn't work out so well.
Spot on,late 90s ,fuckin baking hot summer day,i still remember sitting outside boozing in the sun!.

What's the documentary mentioned earlier in the thread?
I love Redemption but the last 2; particularly the latest haven't got many spins from me. I was late enough listening to them so the first I bought as it was released was TGW. That's a superb album. I've seen them over the years and when they are in fire they really are something special.
Also at the end of the set AA took a dive off the stage but it didn't work out so well.

https://youtu.be/dNJEIcXhkzk

Quote from: Paul keohane on May 23, 2020, 09:53:58 PM
Spot on,late 90s ,fuckin baking hot summer day,i still remember sitting outside boozing in the sun!.

I remember there was so many of us outside the police came to move us on. Great day! I can't remember who else played. Maybe Mael Mordha

Quote from: Circlepit on May 23, 2020, 10:48:00 PM
Quote from: Paul keohane on May 23, 2020, 09:53:58 PM

I remember there was so many of us outside the police came to move us on. Great day! I can't remember who else played. Maybe Mael Mordha
What, Sting and the boys?