Surely there will be questions asked very soon around the 350 for all. Not saying some didn't need it but like everything else it was exploited a lot. Those Jobbridge schemes as well were basically slavery and were massively exploited by employers. Very bad form even if the idea or intention was good they must have surely been proven not to work by now.

Here, on a different note I came across a funny one there: https://www.pulse.ng/news/metro/tanzania-president-angry-as-pawpaw-and-goat-test-positive-for-coronavirus/zzyhqvs

Apparently the lab are in a bit of trouble

Quote from: astfgyl on May 06, 2020, 09:22:10 PM
Surely there will be questions asked very soon around the 350 for all. Not saying some didn't need it but like everything else it was exploited a lot. Those Jobbridge schemes as well were basically slavery and were massively exploited by employers. Very bad form even if the idea or intention was good they must have surely been proven not to work by now.

Here, on a different note I came across a funny one there: https://www.pulse.ng/news/metro/tanzania-president-angry-as-pawpaw-and-goat-test-positive-for-coronavirus/zzyhqvs

Apparently the lab are in a bit of trouble

It would be a goat

The last coupla days I'm actually feeling the effects. There's no better fella to sit on his arse and do fuck all but I've been getting antsy and fidgety this week. Been toying with the idea of putting down a patio out the back just to actually do some physical labour. Suppose I'll have to wait til the 18th before hardware shops are even able to deliver materials. Been doing well not just to get pissed at home every night.

Hardware shop open 200 yards from my gaff. It's the local co-op and I think selling farm supplies is the loophole so look for those places. Was talking to the manager of Euro Giant as well and he said selling petfood was their loophole to stay open selling toys and knick knacks. Loads of places open that technically shouldn't be. Local motor factors doing call and collect even though they were closed in the beginning. In a lot of ways other than travelling and meeting people most things can be done. Well there are also things like going to the pub, gigs, matches, playing in bands, sports, gym, parks that can't be done and probably loads more but I'm being reminded of the "What have the Romans ever done for us" gag from The Life of Brian now listing them out

"With almost half of the world's population, now living under lockdown, the World Economic Forum has described this period as the largest psychological experiment ever conducted and we are already witnessing a huge surge in mental health conditions (stress, anxiety, addiction, domestic violence and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). Sustainability (business and climate) will redefine itself in the Covid-19 era as businesses increase CSR budgets, adopt employee-lite operating models and travel and supply chains looking to fundamentally change for years."

Just a little quote from Forbes magazine

A comma too many in the first sentence but no Oxford comma further on; seems to me Forbes needs to get its priorities in order!

The bird keeps ordering stuff from amazon and elsewhere out of boredom, rugs, cosmetics, stuff for the cat. A box came yesterday from this outrageously expensive  boutique called 'Sezane' we were in in Paris in January. I deliberately avoided looking at the bill as she bought a jumper for 400 beans there last time.

Duolingo and the amazon kindle are great for making me feel that my brain isn't turning to mush. Anything to keep me away from the telly.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on May 07, 2020, 10:38:33 AM
The bird keeps ordering stuff from amazon and elsewhere out of boredom, rugs, cosmetics, stuff for the cat. A box came yesterday from this outrageously expensive  boutique called 'Sezane' we were in in Paris in January. I deliberately avoided looking at the bill as she bought a jumper for 400 beans there last time.

Duolingo and the amazon kindle are great for making me feel that my brain isn't turning to mush. Anything to keep me away from the telly.
Knock that on the head lad. If she doesn't comply, give her a kick in the fanny. She won't show that to the cops.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/may/06/millions-develop-tuberculosis-tb-covid-19-lockdown

This article about TB, but likely applies to a lot of other diseases as well. Seems everyone has their eye on the ball instead of the defender about to smash their legs from behind.

The indirect rate of death and disease from the fallout of this could turn out to be much higher than the actual rate if the focus doesn't come off it a bit soon and get back to living with it. Yes there will have to be adjustments but the show must go on. Putting more of the world into poverty and misery and austerity could also contribute to an increase in deaths greater than the toll of Covid-19 in many ways. Of course that could all be seen as indirect Covid deaths if one wanted to look at it that way.

The world really needs to broaden its' horizons a bit to see it isn't the only game in town because it is the newest. Or to use the earlier analogy, one needs to know where the ball as well as where the defender is to have the best chance of scoring or the defender needs to watch the ball as well as the incoming striker to stand the best chance of not conceding. depending how one wants to see it.

I think it is time to start learning how to live with this now and put more effort into care for the high risk groups rather than full country lock downs, as we are all way too reliant on the assumption there will be a cure or vaccine for this.

I can't wait for the book:

Astfgyl's Corona Nightmares~ Vols 1-666  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

God knows there are enough of them lol. I think the kids being out of school is starting to get to me!

Not going to post a link to the "documentary", but here's a good run through of all the garbage in "The Plandemic" should you know some people who need a bit of help with their "anyone who says anything I believe is trustworthy" bias.

https://bigthink.com/coronavirus/the-plandemic

The spin certainly goes in every direction, but it doesn't take a genius to write this stuff off. His article sounds balanced and well reasoned and I would enjoy reading something as lacking in sensationalism from somebody on the anti vaccination side but I haven't come across one yet.

The "I know everything for a fact" bias, as presented by the likes of this "documentary" which only looks at and twists one very biased angle of something only adds fuel to the idea that anyone who has doubts around the accepted information and norms of any situation must be an idiot of some sort and must be in league with all the shite talkers of the world when questioning everything is surely part of the human condition.

I personally wouldn't watch this shite, but I equally won't willingly be stabbed with any rushed out vaccine (which doesn't exist yet) just because of fear driven down my throat by media hype and herd mentality of those who follow said hype. Conversely, if a long term study of the proven efficacy of a given vaccine for whatever condition was shown to be of benefit I would of course get it provided the risks didn't outweigh the benefits.

Shit like this brings me back to the Cambridge Analytica comment I made about it all from the very beginning. It all ties in with agendas being pushed and bias confirmed in all directions. The masses are being pulled in one direction and the other and the level of manipulation is so extreme that even the credible stuff is hard to believe anymore. It was used in the Brexit referendum and  the U.S. presidential elections with arguable success and now it is being rolled out on a global scale, and we all know about it but as long as we have any sort of Bias towards anything right or wrong we are open to being gently and consistently manipulated in all directions. The post I made in the peeves thread is a particularly depressing example of this and I am certain it goes so much farther than all that but saying it probably gets me broadly lumped in with the likes of those who watch that documentary and don't question it at all. In fact I should watch it to see what the argument is. I can see what the pro vaccination crowd would have to gain in general from their stance (eg better public health, eradication of disease, massive profits for private companies), but what does the anti vaccination crowd have to gain from convincing people it's bad? For right or wrong I would weigh things up that way in my mind.

I know the first thing the quoted article mentions is the Nazi comparisons but these days Goebbels himself wouldn't know if he was coming or going. The internet and social media is a Minister for Propaganda's wet dream.

Quote from: astfgyl on May 07, 2020, 04:11:35 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/may/06/millions-develop-tuberculosis-tb-covid-19-lockdown

This article about TB, but likely applies to a lot of other diseases as well. Seems everyone has their eye on the ball instead of the defender about to smash their legs from behind.

The indirect rate of death and disease from the fallout of this could turn out to be much higher than the actual rate if the focus doesn't come off it a bit soon and get back to living with it. Yes there will have to be adjustments but the show must go on. Putting more of the world into poverty and misery and austerity could also contribute to an increase in deaths greater than the toll of Covid-19 in many ways. Of course that could all be seen as indirect Covid deaths if one wanted to look at it that way.

The world really needs to broaden its' horizons a bit to see it isn't the only game in town because it is the newest. Or to use the earlier analogy, one needs to know where the ball as well as where the defender is to have the best chance of scoring or the defender needs to watch the ball as well as the incoming striker to stand the best chance of not conceding. depending how one wants to see it.

I think it is time to start learning how to live with this now and put more effort into care for the high risk groups rather than full country lock downs, as we are all way too reliant on the assumption there will be a cure or vaccine for this.

the TB and measles outbreaks of the 40s and 50s are interesting to learn about.