Quote from: Bogmetaller on April 29, 2020, 09:16:04 PM
Quote from: Emphyrio on April 29, 2020, 11:01:02 AM
Haha, all accurate and true. But look, I wouldn't be trying to force a workload on the lads anyway. Parents at home have enough going on. I'm just putting the work online so the parents can tell the kids to do an hour's work and take an hour to themselves. Some teachers are going mental. My lad's teacher is sending a hape of work, grand, I wouldn't usually question a teacher's methods but she's giving new concepts in Maths. There's a very large assumption there that parents understand the topic and ear able to teach it. Anything important will be caught up on. It's easy to find the time once you put nonsense subjects on the back burner for a while.

I'm a secondary teacher in a DEIS school in Dublin - I leave work for the week on the Monday and if they want to do it happy days and if not I really don't care. People might say that's a bad attitude to have but when you're in the job long enough you realise that kids, results wise, are going to get what they are going to get and you may be able to swing that 5percent . The worst year by far for doing work online are my 6th yrs ironically enough. But there's teachers losing their reasoning because kids aren't engaging - that makes no sense to me to be honest.

100% man. I'm in a DEIS school too and quite frankly if the parents don't give a fuck, their kids are highly unlikely to either. Cunts don't give a fuck about perpetuating the cycle.

100% man. I'm in a DEIS school too and quite frankly if the parents don't give a fuck, their kids are highly unlikely to either. Cunts don't give a fuck about perpetuating the cycle.
[/quote]

Exactly but it's the teachers who get wound up in a school like that that drive me cracked. Bad and all as this may sound but I'm treating this as something of a paid vacation - but I'm lucky in that there isn't a push on because we are a deis school. Naturally I would rather be working and I miss it too but I won't be stressing because only 2 out of 24 handed up their work. It's their education so if they don't want to do the work it's their loss.

Either your staff is more dedicated or naive than ours. Jaysus, in our place we've all come to terms with the fact that there's only so much you can do. Suffice to say, we aren't stressing  :laugh:

Quote from: Bogmetaller on April 29, 2020, 09:16:04 PM
Quote from: Emphyrio on April 29, 2020, 11:01:02 AM
Haha, all accurate and true. But look, I wouldn't be trying to force a workload on the lads anyway. Parents at home have enough going on. I'm just putting the work online so the parents can tell the kids to do an hour's work and take an hour to themselves. Some teachers are going mental. My lad's teacher is sending a hape of work, grand, I wouldn't usually question a teacher's methods but she's giving new concepts in Maths. There's a very large assumption there that parents understand the topic and ear able to teach it. Anything important will be caught up on. It's easy to find the time once you put nonsense subjects on the back burner for a while.

I'm a secondary teacher in a DEIS school in Dublin - I leave work for the week on the Monday and if they want to do it happy days and if not I really don't care. People might say that's a bad attitude to have but when you're in the job long enough you realise that kids, results wise, are going to get what they are going to get and you may be able to swing that 5percent . The worst year by far for doing work online are my 6th yrs ironically enough. But there's teachers losing their reasoning because kids aren't engaging - that makes no sense to me to be honest.

I have a 14 year old who was very conscientious about keeping up with her schoolwork for the first number of weeks and engages with all of the online classes etc but the longer this goes on with her having no social outlet beyond her phone I can see this is rotting her brain, she is getting less enthusiastic by the day and I agree the teachers shouldn't be losing their shit about it because it is to be expected. I think you have the right attitude to it.

Imagine being her age, not being sick, doing everything she can since the first day of this getting here and then not allowed to even go inside a lot of the shops regardless of if she will play by the rules or not and feeling generally criminalised when in fact it is not her age who are the greatest carriers, it is the 20 to 40 age range roughly as shown where testing has been widespread. I can only imagine how I'd feel having a year basically written off from my teenage years, I would be extremely bitter at the world in general.

I have an 11 year old young lad who was into soccer gaa hurling athletics basketball basically any sport that was put to him, and now he has fuck all. For 2 months. Think of the slow passage of time as a kid and how long this must feel to them, think of the delight of meeting your friends for the bit of bollixing in the evenings and at the weekends, and all suddenly taken away. And he does his school work and i make him do it but he has zero enthusiasm (well he didn't love it anyway) and I can't blame him (now) either. Not that I'd tell him that or he'd go to the bad altogether. But yeah, teachers shouldn't be expecting any better from the kids than what they are getting.

You've actually made a point that I never though of and hadn't heard mentioned - namely the fact that time goes an awful lot slower for those of a younger age. Had never thought of that but it makes you realise how bad this is for kids  :-\

Àye, all that is perfectly fair. In many senses it's way worse for kids. There's a significant part of me that has no problem not having to interact with the world outside. Different kettle of fish for kids, and teenagers in particular. Imagine the amount of young wans not being able to even get the shift!

Quote from: Emphyrio on April 29, 2020, 09:58:31 PM
Àye, all that is perfectly fair. In many senses it's way worse for kids. There's a significant part of me that has no problem not having to interact with the world outside. Different kettle of fish for kids, and teenagers in particular. Imagine the amount of young wans not being able to even get the shift!
The smell of their fingers must be brrrrrrutal..  :abbath:

Quote from: Emphyrio on April 29, 2020, 09:58:31 PM
Imagine the amount of young wans not being able to even get the shift!

Yeah that and the sheer level of crispy boomerang socks hiding under young lads beds must be frightening but then that would be business as usual for lads going through the sick years!

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on April 29, 2020, 03:59:46 PM
I just got it through the main site I guess most people are using to follow the numbers: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
There were are looking down on the US and other places when we're really doing as badly as Sweden. The country with almost no measures.

Quote from: hellfire on April 29, 2020, 11:36:02 PM
I just got it through the main site I guess most people are using to follow the numbers: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
There were are looking down on the US and other places when we're really doing as badly as Sweden. The country with almost no measures.

Stop saying things that don't fit the narrative it's demoralising for our beloved taoiseach and health minister!

Quote from: astfgyl on April 30, 2020, 12:20:07 AM
Quote from: hellfire on April 29, 2020, 11:36:02 PM

Stop saying things that don't fit the narrative it's demoralising for our beloved taoiseach and health minister!

narrative is the right word

Tipperary is at a 4 year low for deaths from all causes according to the front page of the Tipp Star today.

Another month of hard locking down and a couple of years of hard recession to follow should teach the residents to behave in future. Tony Holohan himself has said this morning that he would not advise any easing of restrictions based on the latest figures. I wonder how many other counties are in a similar position to Tipp and need to be taught a further lesson as they will not cop the fuck on.

Joking aside, I would be very interested to see the detailed breakdown of where and when the infections and deaths have occurred, as it seems nobody is very forthcoming with the exact figures. My own thinking on this is that once it becomes apparent that a lot of the current problems are of the government's own making and the failings are in fact going back over a number of years that they will have a lot of questions to answer (or skirt around without ever answering or accepting responsibility) and discontent will fester in response. But that is my own feeling and maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong.

Reading this https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/world/europe/sweden-coronavirus-herd-immunity.html has fostered my discontent a lot. There are a lot of similarities with ourselves there but they haven't crippled whole sectors of the economy, just done the sensible thing, put trust in the public. have shut down all visits to nursing homes but generally left the rest of the country to get on with it and as usual we are left wondering why they can get it right but we can't. Interestingly, as with ourselves their main issue has been in the nursing homes and lack of PPE there rather than people turning up off the street sick and dying.

Quote from: astfgyl on April 30, 2020, 03:56:48 PM
I would be very interested to see the detailed breakdown of where and when the infections and deaths have occurred, as it seems nobody is very forthcoming with the exact figures.

Nobody is hiding them either:
https://www.gov.ie/en/service/0039bc-view-the-covid-19-coronavirus-dashboard-showing-the-latest-stats-and/
https://geohive.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/29dc1fec79164c179d18d8e53df82e96

#824 April 30, 2020, 04:50:58 PM Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 05:13:06 PM by astfgyl
Sound, I'll have a read of those now and see how far wrong I am

Edit: Had a look at those there now and that is nowhere near the level of detail that is required to see the true picture but thanks anyway. In fact it is very scant on certain details. It would take a lot more specifics by age range such as hospitalisation and mortality rate and exactly where or in what setting these occurred. Maybe the details I am looking for haven't been collated yet.