Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on March 05, 2020, 07:32:59 AM
Gawd forbid they'd lose out on their few hundred euro trip. Feck the rest of the country.
Holidays for us in Ireland this year unless things change in the next couple of months.
I should have mentioned that my daughter's immune system is shot to pieces these last few years. So we're not taking any chances....

Spreading quite rapidly around our little island now.

Tool fans 'may have been exposed to coronavirus' at show. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51766702

Bunch of Paddy's Day parades cancelled now too.

Use Carcass or Cannibal Corpse never gets old on that.

Anyone else reckon this will lead to a lot of cancelled gigs?

For sure. I've got tickets to a couple of gigs abroad in May that I'm... not expecting to be cancelled, but I won't be surprised if they're cancelled and then have the ballache of trying to squeeze refunds out of transport and accommodation already booked.

Quote from: Hank Hill on March 10, 2020, 10:21:08 AM
We're in the containment phase right now so I'd imagine this is the peak of potential cancellations. If it beats our containment efforts then I think we'll just get on with it rather than keep things on lockdown moving into summer. The warmer climate will likely give us respite whilst a vaccination is being worked on, and I have a hunch that as infection rates go up and models improve to take unreported cases into account, the mortality rate will go down slightly. Lot of experts coming out with <2.0% as opposed to the 3.4% that's regularly touted.

If we hamstring the economy and ebb and flow of life as we know it it'll only cost us far more, and not just money. We don't throw away our recreational passions and way of living for the flu season every year.

Yeah I'm not seeing any metal band cancelling shows except maybe big leaguers who can afford to take the hit. That's certainly a positive.

Quote from: Hank Hill on March 10, 2020, 10:21:08 AM

Absolutely. Italy, France, Austria have all already forbidden gatherings of 1,000 or more people, football matches are either cancelled (Italy) or taking place in empty stadiums (France, Germany).

Exodus and Testament had their Milan cancelled but that is par for the course right now. I'd say some of the bigger promoters behind Download, Wacken and Hellfest might start worrying soon. I'm off to Roadburn and Ascension this year and that 100 quid I dropped on travel insurance in January could end up being very good value for money.

It's as much the agents deciding to cancel the tours as the venues being obliged by the national powers that be which will see concerts pulled. It's in the bands' and the agents' interests to pull the plug asap if they estimate a likelihood of several cities being unplayable when the time comes. A list of cancelled shows here, including Pearl Jam who have just postponed their entire US tour:
https://www.kerrang.com/the-news/heres-a-list-of-all-of-the-bands-who-have-cancelled-shows-due-to-coronavirus/

As "social distancing" measures are cranked up, this will start to impact essentially any kind of indoor gig, regardless of size. That is, of course, if the present propagation of the virus continues as predicted over the next month or two.

I'm probably wrong in saying this but sure, here goes... With the talk of the corona virus possibly bringing on a global recession is it not about time the world's governments started trying to rein in the hysteria a bit? This is essentially a new strain of flu,  or something similar,  and will most likely be forgotten in a year's time (cut to me heavily editing this thread in eleven and a half months). The same people who are at risk are the same people who are at risk every winter,  ie the elderly and those with a compromised immune system.  I'm not sure how creating global panic, effectively shutting down entire countries and potentially causing a massive world wide recession which, if the last one was anything to go by,  will be a colossal tragedy for many people who are otherwise going to be unaffected buy this, is a responsible way to react. I get that this is spreading more quickly than regular flu,  but does it actually pose a greater danger to those who are likely to have caught the flu anyway?

(Shuts lid on bunker and jams fingers in ears)

Those Hong Kong protesters sure disappeared quickly, eh?  ;)