I wouldn't have been in the protests myself, but for anyone deciding to ignore what he'd done, there is a precedent there for saying, "a criminal in Ireland armed with a knife should not expect to be shot dead." From there, it's a small step for a human brain to explain it on some superficial detail, such as skin colour.

#1321 December 31, 2020, 07:26:04 PM Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 07:29:26 PM by ldj
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on December 31, 2020, 07:19:25 PM
I wouldn't have been in the protests myself, but for anyone deciding to ignore what he'd done, there is a precedent there for saying, "a criminal in Ireland armed with a knife should not expect to be shot dead." From there, it's a small step for a human brain to explain it on some superficial detail, such as skin colour.
Would you expect a criminal charging an armed guard with a knife/machete to get shot dead?

And there is precedent for it...

https://www.thejournal.ie/mark-hennessy-inquest-4974378-Jan2020/

I said this on here months ago, but all of those twats at the Irish BLM protests back in May/June are creaming themselves over this.

Quote from: Pedrito on December 31, 2020, 07:11:51 PM
He slashed the person in the Spar. Attackd someone else. 90 minutes standoff with the guards asking him to drop his weapon and they shot him when he lunged at a Ban Garda. Beat his missus in the face with a hammer and attacked an elderly woman in the street all in the last few weeks. They couldn't shoot the cunt enough times.

Pedro you're such a racist. Surely some cognitive behaviour therapy and a free gaffe should have been given to him.

Quote from: Pedrito on December 31, 2020, 07:11:51 PM
He slashed the person in the Spar. Attackd someone else. 90 minutes standoff with the guards asking him to drop his weapon and they shot him when he lunged at a Ban Garda. Beat his missus in the face with a hammer and attacked an elderly woman in the street all in the last few weeks. They couldn't shoot the cunt enough times.

This is the long and short of it. This No Justice, No Peace bollox that they're at now. Jesus wept. The guards used an escalating scale of measures, finally resulting lethal measures. Bar it being an unprecedented situation, it scarcely merits the inevitable enquiry that will follow.

#1324 December 31, 2020, 07:42:08 PM Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 07:45:32 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Quote from: ldj on December 31, 2020, 07:26:04 PM
And there is precedent for it...

https://www.thejournal.ie/mark-hennessy-inquest-4974378-Jan2020/

Not really, no:
https://www.newstalk.com/news/garda-inquest-mark-hennessy-954695
QuoteThe Garda who shot Mark Hennessy has told his inquest he believed Jastine Valdez's throat was being slit and she was at "imminent risk of death."

And if that situation merited an inquest, then of course this latest one does all the more so!

Yes, and in much the same way, the Garda who shot him no doubt believed that he or his colleagues were at immediate risk of being stabbed.

#1326 December 31, 2020, 08:00:18 PM Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 08:04:50 PM by Caomhaoin
Quote from: John Kimble on December 31, 2020, 07:47:14 PM
Yes, and in much the same way, the Garda who shot him no doubt believed that he or his colleagues were at immediate risk of being stabbed.

Yes, and that's certainly more pertinent than whether or not there was a 'precedent'.

The protests are absolutely without merit, but of course, the incessant self flagellating of the 'progressive intellectual' white man will undoubtedly bring race into it.

I wonder if Paddy Mulligan beyond in London got shot by the police after waving a machete in their faces, would the countless injustices visited on the Irish be brought out on to the street like a storm, irresistible in the face of historic prejudice, cultural destruction and anti-Irish sentiment, among other things? No, because it's not fashionable amongst the flat-white drinking coffee shop intellectuals this season.

'Precedent'. FFS.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on December 31, 2020, 07:19:25 PM

Well maybe it's time we started shooting more of these knife wielding lunatics and we'll have plenty precedent. We have spent 100 years without armed Garda in the country but it's only a matter of time now. I live in a city of 300k people in Spain and the idea that someone would even get halfway down the road after the Spar incident is unthinkable. There'd be no faffing around for 90 minutes either. And guess what? You could stroll around my area at any time of the day or night and feel safe. Women feel safe, old people feel safe, every foreign person I know, people from all colours and creeds, including myself thinks it's great. Kids run around the streets, play outside (covid somewhat an exception) until 10 at night. There's no soft touch here. You break the law and you'll suffer the consequences and it works. 

Yes, and the inquest will determine whether that almost certainly genuine assessment was accurate or not. Ireland is not a country where lethal force is taken lightly, and you shouldn't want it to be either. It's good that these inquests take place. The protests were premature, but that's the nature of these things; people already worked up look at the facts and (most likely incorrectly) conclude that race was a factor in the exceptional fact that a knife-armed criminal was shot dead by the gardai. Immanent danger is indeed the key justice factor here, not a shopping list of his crimes - that's not the country we're from, thankfully.

Should've shot him in the knee like they do in the films.

"Shopping list of his crimes"?

C'mon man, it's too soon for making jokes!

Quote from: Eoin McLove on December 31, 2020, 08:10:54 PM
"Shopping list of his crimes"?

C'mon man, it's too soon for making jokes!

Haha! 10/10!  :laugh:

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on December 31, 2020, 08:04:22 PM

Yes, and the inquest will determine whether that almost certainly genuine assessment was accurate or not.

You must be confusing inquest with investigation, the primary purpose of an inquest is to establish the causes of violent, sudden or unexplained deaths, and the circumstances surrounding them. It has no remit in establishing whether the actions were bona fide or not, that's up to GSOC and Garda management.

You're right, investigation. I had inquest in my head from the Mark Hennessy diversion.

You've been watching too Bergerac reruns this Christmas methinks