His views on Islam and sexual assault were explicitly referenced in the society's statement. You would have had to go to a primary source to get that though, sorry.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 01, 2020, 08:13:52 PM
His views on Islam and sexual assault were explicitly referenced in the society's statement. You would have had to go to a primary source to get that though, sorry.
I didn't see any statements on the society's pages. Apparently there is one on the auditor's personal Instagram page, but that seems to be private right now.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 01, 2020, 07:59:23 PM
All you're doing is posting right wing tabloid opinion pieces.
Something a bit more highbrow so:

Judith Butler on the culture wars, JK Rowling and living in "anti-intellectual times", posted a while back.

A couple of responses to Butler's drivel:
Unherd.com - The intellectual shabbiness of Judith Butler
Feminist Current - Judith Butler resurfaces to remind the world she is a fraud
The Guardian - Feminists like me aren't anti-trans – we just can't discard the idea of 'sex'

Schweizer Monat - How «woke» activism took over universities and descended into street riots - haven't read this yet, but it's by Heather Heying, so it should be interesting.

I mean, here's the point quite simply put: responses to this cancellation, both right here and in those tabloid opinion pieces, have been both uninformed and unintelligent, which really just proves my point about neither cancelling nor Dawkins and his ilk or defenders particularly being of any use to making society more rational and intelligent. If cancelling is bad for the mind, which I believe it is, then critique of cancelling should be nothing short of brilliant and exemplary. Fat fucking chance!

Are you just dumping links or do you have a point you want to formulate?

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 01, 2020, 08:24:26 PM
I mean, here's the point quite simply put: responses to this cancellation, both right here and in those tabloid opinion pieces, have been both uninformed and unintelligent,

And yet, this is only your opinion. You seem to hold your own view in a much higher regard to pretty much anything or anyone else...

Personally I don't care about Dawkins, you're probably right that he's been talking shite for years, I don't actively follow him so I wouldn't know.

My problem is that conversations in academic circles are being shut down just because they may upset or offend and this idea is spreading to real life, problems like religion, gender, race relations are incredibly complex subjects with extensive biological, sociological and political histories yet there's no discussion allowed to be have, either you are 100% on board with the prescribed doctrine or you're basically a nazi who deserves to have your life ruined.

Add to that, their values are incredibly inconsistent, for example, under the 'woke' ideology you're expected to be a feminist as well as pro-LGBT (fair enough), but you're also not allowed to criticise Islam.

How the fuck can you be a feminist and pro-LGBT and also not be allowed to criticise Islam, their views on women and gay people directly contradict each other  :laugh:.

Quote from: ldj on October 01, 2020, 09:02:27 PM

How the fuck can you be a feminist and pro-LGBT and also not be allowed to criticise Islam, their views on women and gay people directly contradict each other  :laugh:.

Yusra Khogali from black lives matter who is openly racist is an Islamic lesbian. It's no different to all the people that labelled the Islamic travel ban in the US a few years ago as racist but now they remain silent over what is currently being done to Muslims in China.

I think the issue there is one of blinkered ideology, and that can cut both ways, but those inconsistencies you point out, the sacred cows that can't be tackled in certain quarters, only serve to hinder any sort of real progress. Use a bit of clever marketing- Black Lives Matter, Anti-Fascist Action- and your organisation becomes beyond reproach. Until people begin to see through the sloganeering,  of course.

Quote from: mickO))) on October 01, 2020, 09:17:20 PM

Yusra Khogali from black lives matter who is openly racist is an Islamic lesbian. It's no different to all the people that labelled the Islamic travel ban in the US a few years ago as racist but now they remain silent over what is currently being done to Muslims in China.

I just googled Muslims in China and read about the "re-education camps"! Madness.

The point is that to learn and develop there has to be genuine dialogue and fair engagement with ideas. If a society hosted someone like Ibram X. Kendi or Robin DiAngelo, people whose ideas are IMO causing real social harm by way of divisiveness and resentment, I would go and listen to them and seek to learn something from the experience. Butler too. Maybe they would be more nuanced than expected, or maybe they would be as bad as their reputations suggest. Either way, something learned.

If it was someone who had expessed completely unacceptable views, like Peter Tatchell or Anjem Choudary, I might object or protest on the basis of what they had said, or, y'know, just not go.

Here, the total privileging of feelings, the mere possibility of hypothetical discomfort from the presence of someone at a debating society, led to the cancellation of an invite to a noted scholar (whatever one may think of Dawkins). That is not going to lead to students learning anything positive. Quite the opposite, in fact.

It is a capitulation to emotionalism, and pure intellectual and moral cowardice.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on October 01, 2020, 09:27:22 PM
Quote from: mickO))) on October 01, 2020, 09:17:20 PM

I just googled Muslims in China and read about the "re-education camps"! Madness.

You would think something like that would be front page news on every newspaper yet it's been going on for a while now and not many people are even aware of it. The first main stream coverage I saw about it was on RTE last night.

The Uighurs (which my phone wanted to autocorrect to Hobbits!)? That's been big news for weeks now. Even unbearable John Oliver did a 20 minute piece on it.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 01, 2020, 11:41:22 PM
The Uighurs (which my phone wanted to autocorrect to Hobbits!)? That's been big news for weeks now. Even unbearable John Oliver did a 20 minute piece on it.

It's been news for a while now. Sunday times had a great piece about it months ago. It's a stain on the planet what's going on there. You can add the camps in North Korea to that list too.

Quote from: kamen on October 01, 2020, 09:37:12 PM
The point is that to learn and develop there has to be genuine dialogue and fair engagement with ideas. If a society hosted someone like Ibram X. Kendi or Robin DiAngelo, people whose ideas are IMO causing real social harm by way of divisiveness and resentment, I would go and listen to them and seek to learn something from the experience. Butler too. Maybe they would be more nuanced than expected, or maybe they would be as bad as their reputations suggest. Either way, something learned.

If it was someone who had expessed completely unacceptable views, like Peter Tatchell or Anjem Choudary, I might object or protest on the basis of what they had said, or, y'know, just not go.

Here, the total privileging of feelings, the mere possibility of hypothetical discomfort from the presence of someone at a debating society, led to the cancellation of an invite to a noted scholar (whatever one may think of Dawkins). That is not going to lead to students learning anything positive. Quite the opposite, in fact.

It is a capitulation to emotionalism, and pure intellectual and moral cowardice.

Perfectly put.

Quote from: kamen on October 01, 2020, 07:54:26 PM

Well, actually they exposed themselves as having committed all that racism in a statement following the unfortunate death of some guy on another continent by cardiac arrest exacerbated by heavy drug intoxication. Guess their guilty consciences just got too much for them.

Not to derail everything but I'm gonna have to pull you up on this. Yeah, he just had a cardiac arrest there, nothing to do with having someone (or someones) lean on his fucking neck for 8 minutes? Get ta fuck.