Like Trondheim in deepest December 😂

Both v good. The first one really says something. Conspiracies of silence indeed.

What's the take on The Shelbourne statues being removed? I think it is ridiculous again but that seems to be the way of things. Guess it's all just another facet to this gem of a new normal we're all buzzing off.

The interesting part in this I think is that the Irish Georgian Society is kicking off now over planning permission and it should be a bit of fun if they are to be reinstated.

Quote from: astfgyl on July 29, 2020, 08:12:57 PM
What's the take on The Shelbourne statues being removed? I think it is ridiculous again but that seems to be the way of things. Guess it's all just another facet to this gem of a new normal we're all buzzing off.

The interesting part in this I think is that the Irish Georgian Society is kicking off now over planning permission and it should be a bit of fun if they are to be reinstated.

The "I Take Responsibility" video, what a horrible load of shit. It's disgustingly insincere. 1. You think they could have learned the script, 2. For people who pretend for a living they should have been far more convincing and 3. This is a vile insult.

As for the Shelbourne Statues. What's going on with this, there is a lot of destruction of historical elements? What are thinking, "if we don't like it we'll destroy it"? It's a very dangerous thing to do. You can't erase history, and if it comes to a stage where all aspects of history are gone this old adage about not learning from history could really assert itself to bite them on the arse. It's moronic and dangerous.
Deep Down Six Feet, Is Where I Like To Eat

I'm with Glenn Loury, John McWhorter and their ilk on these issues. Inspiring men who want to effect real change that flies in the face of this virtue signalling shit and emphasises personal responsibility as a way forward.

Having supported the Shelbourne Hotel in an IT capacity during the late 90's, through part of the period when they endorsed slavery, I would like to formally issue an apology for my actions at the time which I did not realise were harmful. Having now seen the error of my ways, I would like to travel through time and not remove the staples from that Laserjet 4 printer which, I now realise, was probably used to promote slavery in ancient Egypt.

They are actually beautiful statues and really stood out on the street. Fuking warped nonsense. I really hope they get reinstated. Who the hell came up with this bullshit?

Pathetic, insincere virtue signalling shit of the worst kind. Bsndwagoneering of the most obvious variety. Fuck off.

Quote from: Juggz on July 29, 2020, 09:40:28 PM
Having supported the Shelbourne Hotel in an IT capacity during the late 90's, through part of the period when they endorsed slavery, I would like to formally issue an apology for my actions at the time which I did not realise were harmful. Having now seen the error of my ways, I would like to travel through time and not remove the staples from that Laserjet 4 printer which, I now realise, was probably used to promote slavery in ancient Egypt.

That raises a question. We all laugh at ancient Egyptian slavery related offence being taken, but it's a no-no and also defensible to be offended when it comes to Black slavery in the U.S.

What is the time limit before it's not offensive any more? Vikings? Ancient Rome or Greece? How many generations removed before we don't feel personally offended by, or apologetic for, something historical?

Also you may be able to atone for your offensive actions in the past by going back in there and putting staples back into the printers. There is a popular train of thought among the general public which proposes that two wrongs do in fact make a right.

St. Patrick was a fucking slave, time to get rid of binge drinking and shifting as many yank birds as you can without puking in Temple Bar so.

Quote from: astfgyl on July 29, 2020, 10:19:50 PM
Quote from: Juggz on July 29, 2020, 09:40:28 PM

That raises a question. We all laugh at ancient Egyptian slavery related offence being taken, but it's a no-no and also defensible to be offended when it comes to Black slavery in the U.S.

What is the time limit before it's not offensive any more? Vikings? Ancient Rome or Greece? How many generations removed before we don't feel personally offended by, or apologetic for, something historical?

Also you may be able to atone for your offensive actions in the past by going back in there and putting staples back into the printers. There is a popular train of thought among the general public which proposes that two wrongs do in fact make a right.
Time travel is even beyond Tony Iommi, never mind me. The staples will stay removed and that printer worked like a bastard when I left. It will always be so. Sabotaging their current printers would be fruitless, now that the Shelbourne Hotel is sound.