Quote from: astfgyl on June 23, 2020, 09:55:06 PM
Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on June 23, 2020, 09:36:32 PM
Everybody deserves to be treated equally. It doesn't matter if they are black, brown, yellow or normal.

:laugh:

Wait, what about the red lads..
Ah, the old Rockstars. They were a good buzz.

Quote from: mugz on June 23, 2020, 06:53:26 PM
I'm appalled anyone finds this realm 'happy'. but I'm not surprised. I'll be glad to go. When you're dead you don't have to compromise. I'll probably end up in hell with Jordan Peterson.

Used to think like that myself. The world is just set up so fucking wrong it would drive you round the bend.

But you can make yourself happy by weeding out all the shit from your life and help people or create something or just enjoy simple things. You've only got one shot at it. Don't fuck it up.

Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on June 23, 2020, 10:00:02 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on June 23, 2020, 09:55:06 PM
Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on June 23, 2020, 09:36:32 PM
Everybody deserves to be treated equally. It doesn't matter if they are black, brown, yellow or normal.

:laugh:

Wait, what about the red lads..
Ah, the old Rockstars. They were a good buzz.

They were grand actually. I'd forgotten about those

So we were talking about menial labour earlier and a perfect example has arisen in relation to the new mayor of Dublin Hazel Chu.

Her parents immigrated from Hong Kong in the 70´  s to an Ireland booming with employment opportunities one would imagine. Both parents worked 2 jobs to send both their kids to college, in kitchens. 1 shift in a kitchen in a day is tough enough, I can´  t imagine 2. I´ m sure they had plenty of horrible days, but they kept plugging. The odds were stackd against them and they overcame...is this not a life well lived?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazel_Chu

Nah, it's affirmative action taken to the extreme /s

#365 June 23, 2020, 11:17:58 PM Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 11:20:04 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Quote from: Pedrito on June 23, 2020, 10:14:36 PM
So we were talking about menial labour earlier and a perfect example has arisen in relation to the new mayor of Dublin Hazel Chu.

Her parents immigrated from Hong Kong in the 70´  s to an Ireland booming with employment opportunities one would imagine. Both parents worked 2 jobs to send both their kids to college, in kitchens. 1 shift in a kitchen in a day is tough enough, I can´  t imagine 2. I´ m sure they had plenty of horrible days, but they kept plugging. The odds were stackd against them and they overcame...is this not a life well lived?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazel_Chu

Just bear in mind that if everyone at the bottom worked as hard as them, the main thing that would change is that you'd just have to work twice as hard again to scrape your way out of it. The exceptional individuals will always exist. Their existence is not evidence that society is structured in the best possible way to provide the best experience of life to the most amount of people, which of course is a presumably unattainable ideal, but it's a worthy vector. In today's global society, that vector isn't even on the radar.

I'm not having a go at people who do menial labour at all, but what McDonald's and Starbucks (I didn't choose the examples) represent isn't something which may or may not be soul-sucking in the eyes of some people; it is one of many embodiments of something that has been doing its best to suck the soul out of our culture and society for decades, as well as sucking the heart out of our global resources, and if you scrape just a little more into where those resources are often coming from, it's more than just figurative souls that are getting extinguished. I know, melodrama, but that's kind of my point; we have to be docile towards an exploitative structure in order to put up with everything we know - even if we quarantine it to the periphery of our awareness - they will stoop to in order to make a buck and push us, through tools of mass psychological propaganda, to desire and consume as much as we can. Which part of that is not what is actually happening in the world today? I hold in great suspicion any "thinker" of political, economic or social issues who doesn't see that as a situation which can and should be confronted head on and who isn't promoting open discussion of how to migrate to something with very different implications for how we inhabit and exploit our environment and its resources, including the human ones.

If we just pay them better for doing the menial shit will that fix it?

QuoteFordism is "the eponymous manufacturing system designed to spew out standardized, low-cost goods and afford its workers decent enough wages to buy them."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordism

No, in other words.

Hypothetical question...the kid in kindergarten cop who said 'boys have a penis, girls have a vagina.'...

Is that transphobic?

I worked in mcdonalds as a teen and similar to retail, customers are generally ok with about 10% being absolute asshats. It looks like some day these jobs will be eradicated as they implement more and more self serving kiosks...goodbye to what little bargaining power these fast food staff had ->

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2018/06/07/mcdonalds-add-kiosks-citing-better-sales-over-face-face-orders/681196002/

There's also this, chap sets up vending machine shops with no staff, monitors via CCTV ->

https://www.smh.com.au/business/small-business/spotting-a-slot-in-the-market-led-to-australias-first-vendingmachineonly-shop-20170201-gu34m0.html

But let's just keep plugging!

#370 June 23, 2020, 11:58:04 PM Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 09:49:51 PM by Aborted

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 23, 2020, 11:35:23 PM
QuoteFordism is "the eponymous manufacturing system designed to spew out standardized, low-cost goods and afford its workers decent enough wages to buy them."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordism

No, in other words.

What do you make of the idea of a society without a hierarchy?

#373 June 24, 2020, 06:53:36 AM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:32:48 PM by mugz

#374 June 24, 2020, 06:57:55 AM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:32:59 PM by mugz