Quote from: Doctor Crippen on January 31, 2020, 01:19:58 PM
Regarding the punk scene, punks are the biggest elitists out there, "you don't have this limited edition picture disc? You're not a real punk"

I don't know any punks who talk like that, are you sure you are not mixing them up with cunts? Most punks I know and grew up with, bought records when they could, the same as the people I hung around with who were into heavy metal. That is a bit of push that auld statement man

I never had anything like that either. Quite the opposite, in fact - plenty of tapes flying about for those that didn't have this or that album/single/whatever - with the exception of local stuff, obviously, as everyone supported everone else's bands and bought/traded stuff as opposed to copying it. Also a lot more accepting of new people to the 'scene', in my experience.

Quote from: Carnage on January 31, 2020, 12:08:28 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 31, 2020, 11:50:47 AM
Quote from: Carnage on January 31, 2020, 11:31:06 AM
It's not what I said, what I said was that they were trying to out-metal each other. I didn't have anything to do with it, I just did my own thing. More often than not I might have been into the bands they were on about, but didn't feel the need to preen like a peacock about it. I didn't feel 'oppressed' or 'bullied' in the slightest.

Do pay attention, 007.

So you got upset that they were having their own conversation about underground bands? I'm still confused as to how this makes them wankers. Surely you judging them as preening peacocks is more judgmental.  Weird.

I'm not sure how many times I have to restate the same thing before you'll get what I'm saying, and I'm not sure there's any point to doing it, as you seem to insist on wilfully missing the point I made.

But no, it didn't upset me and no, that's not what was happening. I don't really care TBH, that was 20-25 years ago and I don't know those people anymore.

No, I still don't get it.

This all just reads to me like good old Irish begrudgery and conservatism.  Maybe in other countries metal heads experience this identity crisis too but it comes up here semi- regularly.  The original post is fair enough,  we have all seen the stereotypical fat brodude type moshing with his t-shirt off and spilling people's pints.  A big day out from farming and then back to molesting pigs or whatever goes on down the country.  But actually being annoyed that other people who like the same thing as you engage in it a degree or two more (t-shirts,  leathers,  long hair etc) is just plain weird to me. I can't figure out of it is self loathing or resentment. 

When it comes to self loathing we're light years ahead of the pack  :abbath:

I don't buy into it and the atmosphere at the gigs I go to tends to be civil and good natured.  I rarely go to big gigs anymore but I'll occasionally be tempted.  I tend to find huge crowds and overpriced beer and merch a turn off.

Maybe I meet the wrong people but I can't recall ever meeting a metalhead older than 21 who openly mocked another's band choices, unless it was part of group banter where everyone was having a laugh. I used to see it a lot as a teenage but you can't really apply rules of good-nature and decorum to a group of people who still finding and exploring their identities during a time of massive change in their lives. I do grumble to myself the odd (well, a lot) about people at gigs but this is usually more a reflection of my own mood and irritability; I don't ever really see people who are genuinely out to be a dick to anyone else. As a newcomer, the Dublin metal scene can seem quite small and clique-y, but when I've actually gone out of my way to speak to somewhere, everyone has been pretty sound.

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh.......
Is there anything so gormlessly pathetic as a 30+ year old rocker/metaler at a wedding/christening/confirmation/etc in their 'metal wear'.....
Or indeed, clinging on to that 2 strands of knitting wool for a 'ponytail'....... Dear gawd, hahahaha...  :laugh:

Most people are sound....we don't remember the decent people we meet fleetingly...just the cunts..

Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on January 31, 2020, 02:38:24 PM
Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh.......
Is there anything so gormlessly pathetic as a 30+ year old rocker/metaler at a wedding/christening/confirmation/etc in their 'metal wear'.....
Or indeed, clinging on to that 2 strands of knitting wool for a 'ponytail'....... Dear gawd, hahahaha...  :laugh:
:laugh:

Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 31, 2020, 01:57:22 PM
I don't buy into it and the atmosphere at the gigs I go to tends to be civil and good natured.  I rarely go to big gigs anymore but I'll occasionally be tempted.  I tend to find huge crowds and overpriced beer and merch a turn off.

Neither do I. There's gobshites everywhere and sound people. I'm poking fun at it tbh. It's like when foreign people come to Ireland and say we're.so nice or we're fucking awful. I always say there's good and bad and everything in between. Also if you feel outside of a clique then you're either happy enough outside of it or make some efforts to become part of it if it means that much to you. I used to think that Bruxelles was a big Nemtheanga wank off but I was young and while to a degree it was, it was also a community of people that shared a lot of experiences together and you didn't just waltz in and become one of the gang immediately. That's the same in all walks of life. Back to the original post I'd say what the poster has experienced is a reflection  of wider Irish culture which tends to go outside the boundaries of civilised behaviour when the reins are off. It's nothing new and not likely to change. Other countries you go to, people tend to follow the rules more, policing is heavier handed, but who the hell.wants that?

Separate issue, but the whole 'muckers from down the country' thing is partìcularly fun, I might add. The misplaced Dublin-based superiority complex is hilarious to those from the rest of the country.

Mucker, Paddy Micks include Dubs when you start to focus out. Bunch of muck savages the half of them who just happen to live in closer confinement  :laugh:

Definitely people in the tr00 crew of the Dublin scene who (at least used to) judge other metallers based on what they're into, shirts they were, etc. But I found exactly the same thing in France and Germany, and often these people knew each other! You'd get an in if you happened to like, say, Pantera, but at the same time happened to be in an acceptable band/own an acceptable label, etc. Ain't no denying it; I've been on the observer side and the receiving end. At least I think I've been on the receiving end, but on the other hand there was always a fair few folks I encountered who instantly wanted nothing to do with me once they found out who I was off MI  :abbath:  :laugh:

Ah, god be with the days, wha'!

Quote from: Carnage on January 31, 2020, 03:45:38 PM
Separate issue, but the whole 'muckers from down the country' thing is partìcularly fun, I might add. The misplaced Dublin-based superiority complex is hilarious to those from the rest of the country.

Agreed. Its usually the country fellas who are the soundest.

Might be unfair to tarnish the savages with the brodude brush exclusively.  It's a generalization. We are referring to people who go to one big gig a year and think it's still 95 and they can be a teenager again, and that that is all metal is- pent up rage and an excuse to 'go mad'. For those of us who have stayed into it through our adult life they appear like a bizarre specimen you should be poking at under a microscope.