Seems equally spastic to me to worry about other people at gigs wearing t-shirts by bands you don't know and discussing bands you don't know,  and thinking it's somehow an act of oppression against you  :laugh:

Is everyone only allowed to listen to, and discuss, Metallica in case they hurt someone's feelings? If you're at a metal gig you're going to have other people there who are obsessive about it and meet up with other people who have the same passion for it.  That's all it is- nerdy talk, not bullying.

I didn't and don't think that at all, strange that you might think I did. I just thought it was sad.

It's what you said.  You think that people are trying to out-metal you with their t-shirts and discussion of old and obscure bands.  In my experience, when I go to gigs,  I meet up with other metal heads who I probably haven't seen in a while,  we have a rake of pints (oppressive elitist pints by the looks of this thread) and catch up by discussing metal bands old and new.  If that is somehow offensive to someone else for some obscure reason, well,  I dunno... tough shit.  It's a metal gig!

It's not what I said, what I said was that they were trying to out-metal each other. I didn't have anything to do with it, I just did my own thing. More often than not I might have been into the bands they were on about, but didn't feel the need to preen like a peacock about it. I didn't feel 'oppressed' or 'bullied' in the slightest.

Do pay attention, 007.

Bigger gigs have spas alright but all the gigs I go to are 99% bang on sound people. What gigs do ye be going to.

It hasn't changed much then. I just don't seem to see it anymore. Most gigs I'm at nowadays are fine

19 years ago I was at Dismember and Desecration in Murray's I think it was on O'Connell Street. Definitely non metal clobber as I was at some bars that required neat dress later that night
So it was a charity shop outfit of  shirt and a non biker leather jacket.
Halfway through the set I hear this girl turn to her fella and ask him " Who's your man?" referring to me.
The reply. "Some rich cunt"
I've always had a laugh at that one.

Quote from: Carnage on January 31, 2020, 11:31:06 AM
It's not what I said, what I said was that they were trying to out-metal each other. I didn't have anything to do with it, I just did my own thing. More often than not I might have been into the bands they were on about, but didn't feel the need to preen like a peacock about it. I didn't feel 'oppressed' or 'bullied' in the slightest.

Do pay attention, 007.

So you got upset that they were having their own conversation about underground bands? I'm still confused as to how this makes them wankers. Surely you judging them as preening peacocks is more judgmental.  Weird.

Judge not lest ye be judged yourself. Out of the Bibble, that'n. And possibly Metallica.

People are gonna do what they do. Fair enough, some of it is eejitish, but to get fucked off about it? Nah.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 31, 2020, 11:50:47 AM

Do pay attention, 007.

So you got upset that they were having their own conversation about underground bands? I'm still confused as to how this makes them wankers. Surely you judging them as preening peacocks is more judgmental.  Weird.
I'm living in Kerry, the only time I generally get to talk about obscure music (in real life) is at gigs!
It's not just metal heads, people are fucking retarded.
Regarding the punk scene, punks are the biggest elitists out there, "you don't have this limited edition picture disc? You're not a real punk"

This sort of attitude was prevalent on the old forum too and I wonder is it a sense of embarrassment at being into music that your peers don't like,  music deemed inappropriate to listen to as an adult so you have to over- compensate by reminding everyone that you're better than that sad rabble who never gave up on the lifestyle accoutrements,  or if it's a feeling of inadequacy.  The reality is that most people don't care.  Listen to what you want,  wear what you want.  A bit of slagging is inevitable,  certainly with a few naughty pints down the hatch,  but try to keep some perspective. 

I propose that this issue be split into 2 groups.

1. The first specimen we might term 'mongos' from up and down the country who are about as cultured and educated as soiled underwear. Experience tells us that these people are quite simply mad Paddy Micks who exist in all strains of Irish culture, be it GAA, nightclubs, the GardaĆ­..they're everywhere and it's not changing. These specimens tend to appear at more mainstream metal gigs such as the Metallicas and Machine Heads of this world but one shouldn't be surprised to encounter them at more underground events either. If they didn't exist you'd probably miss them as they add a touch of variety to life and give the general populace something to complain about and laugh about. The levels of lunacy about the country is of rare vintage stock akin to the levels of fine vintage wine found in France. In fact, Ireland may be seen as a world leader in it's fostering of such.

The second part of the demographic is a very different specimen from the above, though some specimens may exhibit traits that, as mentioned before, overlap at the fringes (A venn diagram would be useful here but unfortunately I am away from my desk).

2. A 'lifer' who has dedicated themselves to metal in every way possible. They are immediately recognisable as metal heads, their attire generally being of the black variety and on sunny days they might push the boat out with a touch of charming grey. Interests include metal, black metal, death metal, some 'allowed' non metal acts such as Nick Cave when they're feeling really sexy about themselves, the occult, drinking/alcoholism, psychadelics, some foster interests in areas such as martial arts, motorbikes, dungeons and dragons, philosophy, the list can go on. Often intelligent though there is wide variance in this as in all walks of life. Their passion for their music may manifest itself in a certain 'us vs them' approach to what may be included in the group and what may not, leading them to be termed kvlt or elititst by people outside the group who possibly wish they were in the group, but don't have the tape collection to back it up. This stereotyping within the wider metal listening populace however may come from a certain envy or inferiority complex that outsiders have created or imagined that doesn't really exist at all. If one strips away the aesthetics of this group, one would find similarities with other obsessive/fanatical groups, mostly comprised of men(see train spotters, football fanatics, cottagers) who gather together under a banner of mutual interest.

Other variants do exist, but as a means to further the conversation, I propose that we distinguish between these 2 widely differing phemonena. I would also add that this is simply a launch pad to further discussion and investigation and that the 'types' I propse are by no means definitive.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 31, 2020, 11:50:47 AM

Do pay attention, 007.

I'm not sure how many times I have to restate the same thing before you'll get what I'm saying, and I'm not sure there's any point to doing it, as you seem to insist on wilfully missing the point I made.

But no, it didn't upset me and no, that's not what was happening. I don't really care TBH, that was 20-25 years ago and I don't know those people anymore.

Quote from: leoos on January 31, 2020, 11:33:26 AM
It hasn't changed much then. I just don't seem to see it anymore. Most gigs I'm at nowadays are fine

19 years ago I was at Dismember and Desecration in Murray's I think it was on O'Connell Street. Definitely non metal clobber as I was at some bars that required neat dress later that night
So it was a charity shop outfit of  shirt and a non biker leather jacket.
Halfway through the set I hear this girl turn to her fella and ask him " Who's your man?" referring to me.
The reply. "Some rich cunt"
I've always had a laugh at that one.

Brilliant.

Quote from: Pedrito on January 31, 2020, 12:05:27 PM
I propose that this issue be split into 2 groups.

1. The first specimen we might term 'mongos' from up and down the country who are about as cultured and educated as soiled underwear. Experience tells us that these people are quite simply mad Paddy Micks who exist in all strains of Irish culture, be it GAA, nightclubs, the GardaĆ­..they're everywhere and it's not changing. These specimens tend to appear at more mainstream metal gigs such as the Metallicas and Machine Heads of this world but one shouldn't be surprised to encounter them at more underground events either. If they didn't exist you'd probably miss them as they add a touch of variety to life and give the general populace something to complain about and laugh about. The levels of lunacy about the country is of rare vintage stock akin to the levels of fine vintage wine found in France. In fact, Ireland may be seen as a world leader in it's fostering of such.

The second part of the demographic is a very different specimen from the above, though some specimens may exhibit traits that, as mentioned before, overlap at the fringes (A venn diagram would be useful here but unfortunately I am away from my desk).

2. A 'lifer' who has dedicated themselves to metal in every way possible. They are immediately recognisable as metal heads, their attire generally being of the black variety and on sunny days they might push the boat out with a touch of charming grey. Interests include metal, black metal, death metal, some 'allowed' non metal acts such as Nick Cave when they're feeling really sexy about themselves, the occult, drinking/alcoholism, psychadelics, some foster interests in areas such as martial arts, motorbikes, dungeons and dragons, philosophy, the list can go on. Often intelligent though there is wide variance in this as in all walks of life. Their passion for their music may manifest itself in a certain 'us vs them' approach to what may be included in the group and what may not, leading them to be termed kvlt or elititst by people outside the group who possibly wish they were in the group, but don't have the tape collection to back it up. This stereotyping within the wider metal listening populace however may come from a certain envy or inferiority complex that outsiders have created or imagined that doesn't really exist at all. If one strips away the aesthetics of this group, one would find similarities with other obsessive/fanatical groups, mostly comprised of men(see train spotters, football fanatics, cottagers) who gather together under a banner of mutual interest.

Other variants do exist, but as a means to further the conversation, I propose that we distinguish between these 2 widely differing phemonena. I would also add that this is simply a launch pad to further discussion and investigation and that the 'types' I propse are by no means definitive.

:laugh: My favourite post this week.

Regarding the punk scene, punks are the biggest elitists out there, "you don't have this limited edition picture disc? You're not a real punk"

I don't know any punks who talk like that, are you sure you are not mixing them up with cunts? Most punks I know and grew up with, bought records when they could, the same as the people I hung around with who were into heavy metal. That is a bit of push that auld statement man