I reckon backing tracks have a place in a lot of styles, but for me they just work better when its to add depth as opposed to replacing an instrument. I've played in bands that used the odd one, but it was always more atmospheric touches. Certainly not a main hook or driving melody though. It just stands out too much for me if I'm hearing a really prominent part of the music live that nobody is actually playing. It kind of breaks the spell of a good gig.
Devin Townsend has it mastered, and there's a fair few bands that make it work somehow despite the amount of backing tracks involved. Septicflesh do a decent job, but again there's times I've seen them where it just didn't work for me.
I saw Dimmu Borgir last summer and the backing tracks had more going on than the actual band. A lot of time spent posturing and pouting while they waited for the bit where they play again to come along. It was like waiting for a bus.

By the way having seen Dark Matter a few times I reckon ye are one of the bands that do it well.